I need tricks!

Nov 11, 2008
Yeah, hi. I need tricks I can do to people out on the street. I mean I've been doing magic for 5-6 years now and I have tons of tricks, but what I really want is tricks with a deck of cards ONLY, that I can just go out and show people on the street. I dont care if there's a setup or anything to it, just no gimmicks and I only want to use a deck of cards. thanks in advanced guys.

Aug 5, 2008
Yeah, hi. I need tricks I can do to people out on the street. I mean I've been doing magic for 5-6 years now and I have tons of tricks, but what I really want is tricks with a deck of cards ONLY, that I can just go out and show people on the street. I dont care if there's a setup or anything to it, just no gimmicks and I only want to use a deck of cards. thanks in advanced guys.

If you have been into magic for 5-6 years ... you should know what to do by now.

Nov 11, 2008
I have dangerous, and the tricks in there were awesome but I didn't think they were good for showing people on the street. thanks for the suggestions, Ill check em out

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I have dangerous, and the tricks in there were awesome but I didn't think they were good for showing people on the street. thanks for the suggestions, Ill check em out

What both people above me said. I think at least half, if not most of the tricks on Dangerous would be great for a walk around situation.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
yeah...

Daniel Madison's new notes Collateral have some good walk around type tricks.
Trilogy's tricks are also a good option, actually they rock pretty hard.
Browse the 1-on-1's? There are a lot of little gems in there.

or maybe..
the Royal Road to Card Magic...a lot of the stuff taught in it is perfect for any situation...or it'll teach you enough that you can make up or adapt tricks for walk around.

Or just walk up to people, ask them to think of a card, guess...if you're right pull out the deck and do some tricks-if you're wrong...be like 'Oh well, can i make it up to you with an actual trick?' or just walk away.

-Rik

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Agreed with s::VI. If you can't present d+M's Dangerous on the street, I don't know what you've been doing for the past 5-6 years. Sorry, harsh but true.

You may have been in magic for that long but the very way you've asked questions and responded to answers in this thread suggests that you have yet to pass the level of a beginner, and should return to studying books such as The Royal Road to Card Magic, and approaches to magic such as Maximum Entertainment. You don't need more tricks, you sound like you need to learn how to use them and how to present them and how to make them better.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I agree wit praetoritevong. You should also check out any material from Peter Harrison as most of his material can be adapted for the street. Oz Pearlman's "Born to Perform Card Magic" DVD is great too. Daniel Madison's ONE and THREE have all card material.

(Royal Road to Card Magic is by Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue and Maximum Entertainment is by Ken Weber, just in case you didn't know...:p)

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I don't recommend doing much tricks from the Trilogy as most people are trying to tell you. Read a book. What's with people now a days saying they've been into magic for # of years when they obviously have not been.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I don't recommend doing much tricks from the Trilogy as most people are trying to tell you. Read a book. What's with people now a days saying they've been into magic for # of years when they obviously have not been.

I agree with eddie, that most of the tricks in the Trilogy are not suited for street performances due to a lack of spectator participation.

Street effects are meant to be simple, and hard hitting. Examples include some simple transpositions, sandwiches, packet effects etc. Born to perform by Oz Pearlman is good for beginners + check out some E stuff.

Hmm What exactly have you been doing in 5-6 years?

Nov 12, 2008
Be creative man!

Within your 5-6 years of doing/studying magic I am sure you have learned enough to create your own tricks (or variations on others) or make even the most simplest tricks play big.

If not, then learn 2 card monte until you can fool yourself. Then go do it for it some people.

Nov 12, 2008
A Good Card Trick

For a strolling environment I would suggest doing the Tivo 2.0 trick by dan and dave. If this is too hard to perform on the street, try permorming Twist and Shake. I think its by Zenneth Kok.

Apr 15, 2008
Biddle, stigmata, and 2 card monte are easy go to tricks. Terrible for performing in front of other magicians but perfect for an audience that doesn't know magic. But with 5-6 years of experience, you should try the trilogy. I think that they are great walk around tricks despite what the post above me said. I do understand wanting to have your audience participate in the trick, but every now and then just do a solo trick. Subway is great and fools people every time. Im still working on finding really good tricks that are a little harder but can be done with a regular deck of cards. Im just looking for more advanced tricks to keep pushing myself.

ZimFasa

Banned
Jul 28, 2008
I use biddle, stigmata, 2CM, ACR routines, and A trick by Jay Sankey, not sure what its called but he talks about using the "all around poker shuffle". Its on one of his earlier dvds.
Also, Lee Asher's Witness is an awesome one, but requires a plastic bag.
Lastly, The card to mouth effect taught on one of Ellusionist's DVDs. A card is selected, lost, and then after failing to find it, it comes out of the magicians mouth.

Nov 11, 2008
man... Im 15, im not 20+ can everyone stop commenting on how long i've been doing magic.. I am looking for simple tricks, not tricks that require xcm sleights and all that. Anything I can just go to the mall, walk up to someone and show them something with cards that will get good reactions. Thanks to the people who suggested things..

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Well man not to bust your bubble, but you should go watch Dangerous again. The tricks are suited for street magic, because i do those tricks. And so, if you put the practice into the things DM teaches, im sure you will be able to learn a lot. You dont need tricks, you need to practice what you already have.

Theres a lot of hype about all these new effects, then people forget about performing the old effects, so you see, you should perform the effects you already know better than anybody else, like Mr Asher says.

Also dude, i recommend you to One by DM, that alone has most powerfulest tricks ever created. For exmaple my fav, OneEighty. So be sure to check that out. BTW, from that product there are tricks which are suited for walkaround/street performing, and most require no gimmicks at all. And they are good ones too.

So yeah, DM's stuff is downright gold, and you shouldnt look passed it like its not valuble, because it is, its simple hard hitting effects.

2CM, Amibitious Card, Four (Aaron Fisher), Biddle, Sloppy shuffle triumph, Back in Time (Jay Sankey) are all which i perform a lot for people. If you need further help though, PM me and i'll be sure to help you out. Now go practice.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
A good ACR routine would be perfect for that type of stuff, but if you want something newer The trilogy is top.

But beware, they take a good amount of practice to do the sleight's in it, be prepared to work hard and practice a lot.

Two reccomended tricks for that is
Subway, and Fission for aces are great. Be prepared to practice though. Don't expect to get it right away. It took me about a month to perfect my Subway routine.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey man. We only commented on your years of doing magic because you brought it up, rather unconvincingly, I might add.

I'm going to keep posting this in every single thread of this type I find.

I posted this before, and it's always the same.

Here's an idea. Look for them yourself, find the ones that work for yourself, and make them "hard hitting"! In all honestly, looking for the shortcut by asking for "best of" effects isn't gonna do you any favours, and 95% of the time will not get you the most hard-hitting effects you can perform. That's right, asking for good tricks will actually, the majority of the time, get you tricks that, when performed by you, will be second rate and extremely common. So you'll be performing the same old stuff and probably not as well as you could be. You actually want good reactions, or do you want incredible reactions?

Rather than ask "Where can I find the best effect", ask "Where can I find effects (possibly of x plot or from x magician)", go out, look through everything, and find what works for you. You want average material, ask for "good" DVDs. And if you're satisfied with decent, go ahead. You want the best material, which has the highest possible impact? You'll have to work harder than that.

The main reason for this is that the strongest effect in my arsenal, in all honestly, would probably not work at all for you. This is due to many reasons - personality, presentation, and just the effect in general. Many, many people for example list Stigmata as their strongest effect, and many people buy it. You wanna know the truth, 95% of people's presentation of Stigmata is ****. Stigmata could be so, so much more. I'd bet my money that half the people who've said Stigmata in this thread can't present it to save their lives, and could easily improve their own performances. But no, they rely on the effect, rather than relying on themselves as a performer, and this separates the chaff from the wheat.

If you really want strong effects, you need to tell us what you're interested in, specifically, a plot or an author. Then you need to go look at everything by that author or on that plot, and decide what works for you, use that knowledge to mix the effects together, and base a presentation on what appeals to you, not what appeals to us. My favourite effect happens to be Zamiel's Rose, and yet I barely know anyone who has the personality to pull it off, so I never suggest it, it would be a travesty, the epitome of ruining magic. I mean what do you want me to say - follow your instructions exactly, and give you an effect that won't suit you and you won't be able to make the most of? I'd rather say this, the truth.

Go buy a book or something, that's where the good stuff is.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results