Bicycle Guardians : 1st Edition - Sold Out

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I have good news and great news. 2 weeks and 2 days after launch, the First Edition Bicycle Guardians are now sold out. Gone. Our whole crew is amped that you loved 'em, as this was a product that we worked on behind the scenes for months and months before anyone ever saw it. The level of detail in the design is incredible-- I've never seen intricacy like that in any deck.

We worked hard not only on the looks, but the feel. We received tons of comments and feedback from you guys across the spectrum. The vast majority of you loved the feel and the finish-- they're the only deck I've felt that can faro so easily out of the box. They're soft. But for some of you, particularly those in humid environments, you sent us feedback that you'd like the second edition to be much more durable, and last longer. We listened.

The Bicycle Guardians 2nd Edition are being printed as we speak. We took in your feedback on the 1st Edition like a sponge, and we immediately acted on your suggestions. The 2nd Edition Guardians have been renovated from the top down. We've changed the type of coating, the finish, the paper stock-- everything. Every single element of the deck has been brought to an even higher level of quality.

This high elevation in quality did not come without a cost, though, and the production cost per deck has risen significantly as a result. That said, unfortunately, we must increase the... ... just kidding. Even though the quality of the 2nd Edition will be even higher, your price will remain the same.

We've done everything we could to make the 2nd Edition as high quality as we could imagine. We've experimented with the paper stock, the finish, and the coating, and we changed all of them dramatically. The result is something we think you'll be VERY pleased with. Wayne Houchin tested the new feel this past weekend-- all weekend-- and the deck still fans flawlessly after extensive abuse all weekend. And just so you know how we do our research-- Wayne was sent 6 decks that all looked the same, but each had a different coating and finish. One of them had the exact coating we'll be using on the 2nd Edition Guardians. He didn't know which was the real deal until he called me a few moments ago with his favorite. Which deck lasted the longest-- bar none? The new finish. It was the only deck still usable after a full weekend of extensive use and abuse by both Wayne and Aaron Fisher.

Will the 2nd Edition feel different? Without a doubt. For those of you who were totally in love with the feel of the 1st Edition, hold onto them tight. While there is no exact science to playing card feel and finish, we have done everything in our power to ramp up the quality, feel, finish, and durability of the 2nd Edition-- and we think you'll dig them.

They'll arrive in stock in a few weeks... stay tuned for more details.

Ray

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
I like the idea of a "higher quality" second edition.
But also I'm asking myself why this high quality wasn't part of the 1st edition.
Its not like you guys are totally new to this business, so I'd guess you should have known better.

Thanks for the second edition though (even though I soon get 2x 1st Edition Decks...)

Sep 2, 2007
???
Awesome news! I've got to ask though...will there be any distinguishing features from the 1st edition to the 2nd edition aesthetically wise to the box or otherwise? As in is there anyway to tell whether the cards one has are 1st or second, without cracking open the box and fondling/caressing our beloved cards?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Aesthetically, the deck looks exactly the same except for one minute, tiny difference on the box. Will let you guys figure out what that difference is, though. If you want to know more, go to WhatIsDifferentAboutTheBox.com next Monday at midnight.

Sep 1, 2007
Ceres, Ca.
But for some of you, particularly those in humid environments, you sent us feedback that you'd like the second edition to be much more durable, and last longer. We listened.

The Bicycle Guardians 2nd Edition are being printed as we speak. We took in your feedback on the 1st Edition like a sponge.

Hey JB -

I think that was what they were complaining about..............!?!?

Dave

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I have good news and great news. 2 weeks and 2 days after launch, the First Edition Bicycle Guardians are now sold out. Gone. Our whole crew is amped that you loved 'em, as this was a product that we worked on behind the scenes for months and months before anyone ever saw it. The level of detail in the design is incredible-- I've never seen intricacy like that in any deck.

We worked hard not only on the looks, but the feel. We received tons of comments and feedback from you guys across the spectrum. The vast majority of you loved the feel and the finish-- they're the only deck I've felt that can faro so easily out of the box. They're soft. But for some of you, particularly those in humid environments, you sent us feedback that you'd like the second edition to be much more durable, and last longer. We listened.

The Bicycle Guardians 2nd Edition are being printed as we speak. We took in your feedback on the 1st Edition like a sponge, and we immediately acted on your suggestions. The 2nd Edition Guardians have been renovated from the top down. We've changed the type of coating, the finish, the paper stock-- everything. Every single element of the deck has been brought to an even higher level of quality.

This high elevation in quality did not come without a cost, though, and the production cost per deck has risen significantly as a result. That said, unfortunately, we must increase the... ... just kidding. Even though the quality of the 2nd Edition will be even higher, your price will remain the same.

We've done everything we could to make the 2nd Edition as high quality as we could imagine. We've experimented with the paper stock, the finish, and the coating, and we changed all of them dramatically. The result is something we think you'll be VERY pleased with. Wayne Houchin tested the new feel this past weekend-- all weekend-- and the deck still fans flawlessly after extensive abuse all weekend. And just so you know how we do our research-- Wayne was sent 6 decks that all looked the same, but each had a different coating and finish. One of them had the exact coating we'll be using on the 2nd Edition Guardians. He didn't know which was the real deal until he called me a few moments ago with his favorite. Which deck lasted the longest-- bar none? The new finish. It was the only deck still usable after a full weekend of extensive use and abuse by both Wayne and Aaron Fisher.

Will the 2nd Edition feel different? Without a doubt. For those of you who were totally in love with the feel of the 1st Edition, hold onto them tight. While there is no exact science to playing card feel and finish, we have done everything in our power to ramp up the quality, feel, finish, and durability of the 2nd Edition-- and we think you'll dig them.

They'll arrive in stock in a few weeks... stay tuned for more details.

J. Bayme,

Thank you so VERY much for listening! I am so hyped about the news on the new stock and finish for the 2nd edition. I'm still going to use the 12 1st editions that are on their way to my house as we speak. However, this is going to be the first time I was ever apart of a 1st edition ANYTHING. I may not even open all of them!

I can officially say that I will definatly be using the 2nd edition Gaurdians exclusively if they do hold up the same for me, as they did with Wayne.

Shane K.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
JB,
If you were a woman, I would kiss you.

On a serious note: I have an unopened deck of Guardians, should I keep it unopened in hopes that it will become rare/hard to get in the future?

Sep 1, 2007
austria
i really like that you've worked on the guardians again. it sounds like you really could improve them alot, i can't wait to see for myself. furthermore it was really nice of you to let us know all about that, because now i can hang on to my 3 sealed packs of the 1st edition and in a year sell them on ebay for 200$ a deck.
mwuuhahahaha (evil laughter).

so, if there's anyone who really wants some of those 1st edition decks, pm me with an offer (every offer below 70$/deck won't be taken seriously). :D

Sep 2, 2007
So, this means that the box will have a white boarder!? :D Or will the copyright stuff be there?

Aug 31, 2007
www.myspace.com
aww shit.

i TOLD my mom theyd be sold out already if i waited till after school the next day. but "noooooooo.... if there's 122 left then of COURSE theyll be some left tomorrow.."

..cant wait till i get my own credit card:rolleyes:..

Unfortunately,
-Gears.:(:mad::(

Sep 1, 2007
USA
crap... my guardian fell in some water and they were the only ones i had :( :mad:

i guess im gonna have to get more second edition decks

Aug 31, 2007
Maine, USA
LOL, I love j. bayme's humor, there is, actually a site..called whatisdifferentaboutthebox.com and it says stay tuned in the source. [ lol ]

On a serious note, I think it's awesome that theory11 staff listened to us and changed there decks. It's not like ellusionist or penguin ( if they even made a deck.. ) would ever change the deck if we said they should :p.

Sep 2, 2007
On a serious note, I think it's awesome that theory11 staff listened to us and changed there decks. It's not like ellusionist or penguin ( if they even made a deck.. ) would ever change the deck if we said they should :p.

As much as I enjoy the bashing of E because they have yet to recognize the clumping of the 1st edition Ghosts, they have made the 2nd editions Ghosts so that they don't clump as easily, and the Vipers 1st Edition clumping problem was also fixed after an outcry.

In conclusion, they do listen, but do not necessarily hear. (Not sure if that made sense. :D)

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results