Smooth Operations : By Kevin Ho

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
ok so i just got smooth operations in the mail today and i was kinda disappointed its like when im reading i cant under stand crap im seeing its like its a different language or something i think i want my money back so i learned from my self that i learn bettr from dvds or watching something other than reading it tell me what you guys think?....and sometimes i get confused in the set up

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
with books you have to wqork harder. you go over the it bit by bit. you read it completely through, then you do what ir says, step by step.

i dont know. i have heard VERY good things about Smooth Operations. i have considered buying it, but have yet to do so. maybe your right, maybe learning from DVDs is the better way to go for you. i know people who wont learn from DVDs and prefer books. but i would say give it a try and see first before you just put it on the back burner.

I think its different for everyone. Some learn better from books and some learn better from DVD's.

I also believe that your knowledge of sleights, and technique in some regard matter when learning from books if per say the instructions just call for an execution of 'X' without a description of the actual sleight needed.

There is also the argument for originality when learning from books VS copying a style you visually watch on a DVD.

Keep working at it!

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Man its my favorite magic book :) The stuff isnt that hard but you actually need to practice it :) the tricks are impromptu, I loved the layout, the jokes everything.. Everything is practical, modern, visual.

Ramo I think that you should make an effort to understand it, since I am from Venezuela (we speak spanish) and I managed to read it, at first I didnt understand some parts, but then I re-read it and I got it.. Also there are some performances on youtube, which you can use as a reference, even on the trailer you can see the beginning of the four card productions, in case you need them..

So dont trash this wonderful book..

Aris

EDIT: Dont miss the fillers..

Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
It is true that learning from DVD's is harder, but I have to say, if you read a trick in the book through, and look at the pictures while practicing, the tricks aren't too hard to get right. The tricks are also very good, I practice Re-Painted and the Raccoon a lot, and perform Punk'd and chaser very often, also.

Sep 1, 2007
Orange, CA
kevhonline.net
To reiterate a point I made in some other places, the reason why I chose to publish my material in book format as opposed to a DVD is because I felt that this way, people would appreciate the material more.

With DVDs it's too easy to just skip forward to the secret, watch the guy do it a couple of times, then go out and try and mimic the performance after only 2 hours of practice. I know, I've done it before... and it sucks.

So as frustrating an experience as learning from books can be, I've come to learn from personal experience that after reading and re-reading the instructions for days on end, visualizing what the sequences would look like in my head, and figuring out what kind of presentational style would best suit each effect, once it all falls together it's stuff I end up doing for the rest of my life.

So if you're having a bit of trouble with the book, don't worry - give it some patience and dedication, and eventually you'll get it. As your signature says: "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

-Kev, The Virts

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
I found the book pretty interesting. I use some of the routines (re-production,punk'd) a lot and i also like the color changes:simple and effective.
I had no problem learning from the book even though i am from Greece ,in fact i thought it was very well-written.

I've just started reading this, I've had no trouble so far with the instructions, like people have said, everything is explained Crystal Clear. I'm just practising Punk'd at the mo, it's awesome.

I would recommend this to anyone who is in magic and enjoys flourshing.

Cheers, Tom

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
ok so i just got smooth operations in the mail today and i was kinda disappointed its like when im reading i cant under stand crap im seeing its like its a different language or something i think i want my money back so i learned from my self that i learn bettr from dvds or watching something other than reading it tell me what you guys think?....and sometimes i get confused in the set up

It sucks when people post bull**** like this. Sure, it's hard to learn from books, but you get so much more out of it in my opinion. Sit with the book with cards in your hand and just do what he's saying, line by line. It'll work itself out.

David

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
you know wat screw you i said i might learn form dvds better but thats you opinion **** some times it just doesnt make sence and btw after i read it over it does kinda make scence at time i still get confused on the set up but thats about it but screw you homie

Mar 20, 2008
Indiana
I'm so sick of hearing people asking how hard things such as books or sleights. If you are dedicated to magic and want to be good you have to put some work into it. Most of this stuff isn't going to come to you right away. You have to work at it. People now a days think everything is going just be handed to them. Those people will never know the real meaning of "work". If something isn't working for you, try a different approach to it. Or take a break and go back to it after awhile. If you don't want to i would suggest getting a book on self working magic......this is just my opinion.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
you know wat screw you i said i might learn form dvds better but thats you opinion **** some times it just doesnt make sence and btw after i read it over it does kinda make scence at time i still get confused on the set up but thats about it but screw you homie

At least you're trying to learn from it. Earlier you said nothing made sense, which is completely bull.

David

Sep 1, 2007
This is perhaps one of my best purchases in recent memory (OK, this and Collateral). You just have to be patient. No excuses.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
At least you're trying to learn from it. Earlier you said nothing made sense, which is completely bull.

David

it's a good thing you replied this way because a conflict could have started -if you had replied likewise to his "screw you"-very mature answer .

George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results