Getting Old!

Sirtaco

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2008
www.tacospokerknights.com
I’ve just recently picked up my cards again, been out of the scene for a few years now. Between the work I do for a living (roofing) and getting older my hands are dry as hell, I can’t handle a deck of cards like use to. I’ve tried everything nothing seems to work, I was wondering if anyone else gets dry hand syndrome and what you use to get a better grip.

Thanks

Sep 1, 2007
I’ve just recently picked up my cards again, been out of the scene for a few years now. Between the work I do for a living (roofing) and getting older my hands are dry as hell, I can’t handle a deck of cards like use to. I’ve tried everything nothing seems to work, I was wondering if anyone else gets dry hand syndrome and what you use to get a better grip.

Thanks

I'd just recommend using lotion. Also, hand exercises help to warm up the fingers.

Welcome back.

hmm that sucks im sorry to hear that. umm you might have to do some type of lotion or some other kind of softening skin stuff? idk maybe some one you know might have some thing like that? i heard something about magician lotion idk if that even exists or anything? but it might take it little bit but you might just have to try and take care of ur hands or something ... good luck.

Sep 2, 2007
London
In cold weather my hands go extremely dry. I've got some of that "Magician's Lotion", and it's pretty good, it only takes a single drop to moisten up your hands. The downside is, a little bit too much and you get your cards sticky. If you work with coins, though it's absolutely brilliant, they almost seem to cling to your hands. I've also got good results with a normal moisturising lotion, but that isn't quite as cool to carry around with you.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA

Thanks

Dai Vernon's favorite solution to dry, tough skin can be summed up in two words -- CORN HUSKERS! It was the one hand lotion the old geezer loved most and I'll go so far to say that he hooked many others on it as well.

I can't give you much in way of help for joint pain in the hands other than to tell you to get used to it... it starts young in most of us and gets progressively worse over the years. Especially if you work with your hands doing actual physical work like carpentry, welding, roughing, etc. Even for those of us that built props and ran warehouses filled with them, the body gets beat-up and broken down -- show biz is one of the hardest trades going!

Talk to a physical therapist, chiropractor that does hand adjustments, rhematulogist, etc. about exercises and therapies you can to to help with the current discomfort you are juggling but likewise, what you can to to help protect your hands and keep them healthy for the long run... one of the most basic steps being "strength building" by using a squeeze ball, tension grips and other such devices. There are also yogo type techniques you can apply.

Best of luck!

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I read the title of this thread and was shocked. But then I read and realized that it's your hands, not your age.
Whew!
I would never want anyone to feel that their too old to get into magic/ or go back to it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results