Underground Magic

Sep 4, 2007
where is all the underground and pimpin unknown magic on this website? all they sell so far is heavily gimmicked tricks. are we gonna see stuff as revolutionary as the Trilogy? are they ever gonna teach anything requiring sleight of hand? i am growing impatient with this whole thing.

enough with my monologue, to my question. what is underground magic? is it new sleights? is it new applications? where is the underground in theory11?

Aug 31, 2007
Anyone that looks down upon gimmicks like your attitude will severely limit their growth in magic. Just because an effect like Panic requires a gimmick doesn't mean that it isn't strong as hell.

where is all the underground and pimpin unknown magic on this website? all they sell so far is heavily gimmicked tricks. are we gonna see stuff as revolutionary as the Trilogy? are they ever gonna teach anything requiring sleight of hand? i am growing impatient with this whole thing.

enough with my monologue, to my question. what is underground magic? is it new sleights? is it new applications? where is the underground in theory11?

i believe that the underground magic is magic routines that have not been seen in the main stream... stuff that has been shown to a handful of ppl on occasions or an effect that is very near and dear to the creator and has not released this effect as a product for purchase before.

Sep 1, 2007
Anyone that looks down upon gimmicks like your attitude will severely limit their growth in magic. Just because an effect like Panic requires a gimmick doesn't mean that it isn't strong as hell.

Agreed. You need to look past gimmicks and look at the effect and what reactions you get. It really isn't how you do it, but what you get out of it. To me at least.

Sep 1, 2007
Ceres, Ca.

Anyone reminded of "Answer these questions three"?

Dave

Sep 1, 2007
I've heard this a few times and it is absolutely true. It should be the effect that catches your attention and what makes you decide to like it or not, not the method. If you like the method enough, it shouldn't really matter whether a gimmick is involved or not. Some people do prefer just sleight of hand, but that does not take away from the impact of gimmicked effects. To me, theory 11 has already done a great job with underground magic.

Sep 2, 2007
all they sell so far is heavily gimmicked tricks. are we gonna see stuff as revolutionary as the Trilogy?

Some of the very best "revolutionary" tricks involve gimmicks, including, but not limited to, the Raven, Thumb Tip, CoinBite, Loops, the Cloak, Silver Dream, Moving Pips, Distortion, Panic, et al.

are they ever gonna teach anything requiring sleight of hand?

You might want to check out the 1 on 1 section, which is located near the top of your web browser.

Cheers,
JTM

Gimmicked tricks are very powerful even though they do contain an instrument, they can be highly effective and sometimes better than impromptu because somethings just can't be achieved with regular sleight of hand.

As for if you want impromptu tricks, like mentioned above, check out the 1 on 1 section.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
Soo true, you must be a really impatient person.... i mean seriously, this site it BRAND NEW!!! Stop complaining, it takes a lot of time, effort and money to create effects that are awesome quality. Keep your mouth shut, and wait.

Sep 4, 2007
my issue with gimmicks is that they arent exactly the most convenient. i dont know of anyone who would let me do a few tricks, then load the deck with a gimmick, then perform some more, remove it, put my 6 of diamonds somewhere where i can force it, remove it, etc.

i dont have a problem that all the tricks are gimmicked, i just feel that the website is trying too much. i feel that it uses gimmicked tricks to open so that its sure to be spiffy, new, and underground. wne you deal with sleight of hand, maybe a few ameteur magicians will see how its done, and think to themselves "ha that was bad! i know how he did it," instead of thinking of the application and reaction to the trick itself.

also, what if they had spent all the time and energy used hyping up the site to have more revolutionary junk? on 1on1, they have really basic stuff; its useful and all, but elementary. why not teach something *like* the asher twist, which actually offers something underground and new?

Aug 31, 2007
You really have a twisted sense of what is defined as "underground" and what is not and trying to classify effects and sleights as "underground". You consider a sleight like 4For4 nothing new because it has been published before. Yet, you consider the Asher Twist something new and underground even though it's been around forever. In the end, "underground" is just a word.

Your thinking is too close-minded. You rather not use a gimmick even if it makes an effect look cleaner or more amazing for the sake of convenience. Learn to incorporate them in and find ways to get in and to get out instead of restricting yourself to thinking "oh I have to ditch the gaff before I do something else".

Sep 1, 2007
my issue with gimmicks is that they arent exactly the most convenient. i dont know of anyone who would let me do a few tricks, then load the deck with a gimmick, then perform some more, remove it, put my 6 of diamonds somewhere where i can force it, remove it, etc.

If you can't effectively ditch and load gimmicks, the fault is your own and not the gimmick's.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
What is underground magic really when you think about it anyhow?
It's magic that neither you, nor I have had access to in the past. Methods that may not be well known.
Obviously once it's on this site, it is essentially coming above ground for the first time. If they kept all the magic underground and hidden, then all there would be is a name and nothing on the site.

As far as revolutionary goes, making anything too different from the norm is a big gamble, at least making it that way from the word go. Who knows what is in store for us in the coming future.
There are a few differences between this site and others, and there will probably be more in the future also.

Sep 1, 2007
Ceres, Ca.
What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?

Hi Anton,

How do you get over the bridge?

Some topics are started by folks who've got an axe to grind, some are started by folks who think they're being loyal to another entity, some are started by youngsters who've no idea what they're talking about but will parrot words they've heard others say..............and some folks start topics just to see what kind of response they'll get.

David Parr preached at MAGIC LIVE! recently about unity, community and integrity in the magic fraternity, which of these are best represented in this and several other posts we've read lately?

There is some "underground" magic being presented here, it's up to the members to determine what magic was "underground". The very definition of underground is defeated as soon as it is postd on this website.

Most youngsters (new magicians) nowdays don't "get it": underground magic is not going to be offered to you as soon as you buy your first Invisible Deck or Scotch and Soda set. I've been lucky enough to be able to hang with some great magicains in my journey through magic, but it was nearly a decade before I was shown some incredible unpublished and generally unknown sleights by Roger Klause and even then, he tested me - He showed me a variation of a sleight and waited a year before he showed me anything else, he wanted to make sure I didn't show anyone else the variation.

On this board we have the likes of Chris Kenner, Aaron Fisher, Lee Asher and their friends. They are not going to show and publish their creations the first month of a new venture to a bunch of guys who they've just met, this is reserved for thse who've established their "worthiness" (for want of a better word) and dedication to magic and it's future.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
fair enough, mates.

im just gonna wait it out patiently. i didnt want to troll, i just am frustrated with the stuff on here right now. this was supposed change the magic world forever, and, as of yet, i feel its kinda a bit like Ellusionist with artist endorsement and an "underground" sticker on it. hype is just fine, 1 month-long e-scavenger huts are good too, trying to revolutionize the magic community is awesome too, as long as everything lives up to it.

i'm going to wait until lee asher releases his trick, and i see some new sleight of hand. i might pick it up with distortion's second edition.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results