My New DVD

Hello, My name is Dominick Dillon, you can refer to me as Dom.

You may have seen me previously on the forums, and I wanted to market a DVD for mid-2009. I have alot of good material and I don't know where to start. By that, I mean what is the first step to making a DVD? I want to make a DVD simply on card controls and effects and one on flourishing in the future, obviously not simultaneously. Please try to help

Regards,

Dom

Sep 2, 2007
Pitch the idea to a production company like Papercrane, Ellusionist, Penguin, or the new Mental Playground Productions.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It would only be a concern if you haven't been performing long enough to work with your material to make sure it is time tested, strong material. Also younger magicians can forget to do their homework in regards to the history of the effects they 'create'. Obviously no one knows you or your stuff, but age is definitely a red flag for most.
That said, however, if you feel strongly enough about your material, get it into the hands of some working professionals you would trust and get their feed back. After you make all the changes that would come form their advice, then look at the DVD route.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

j

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Unless the material you've got has been real world tested, refined, developed, and streamlined over the course of a few years, I wouldn't even think about releasing a DVD, especially at the age of 14. If this has all been done, by all means good luck!

Dec 14, 2007
You should show the material to someone established in the field. I'm not talking about someone with 6 one trick DVDs, I'm talking about someone who knows the history of the art. They should confirm that the material you are offering is indeed original and advances the printed record, rather than being a mere handful of personalizations. If it is not original, then you need to seek permission from those who should grant it.

After you have gone through the vetting process, ask yourself, "What is more valuable: to have an arsenal of material that you can use in performance over the rest of your career that will lead people to seek you out in order to see these amazing things they have heard that you can do" or "to make a couple hundred bucks on a DVD that leads everyone to think - oh, so that's what that kid does - and forget about you after the newest batch of someone else's DVDs starts getting hyped?"

Brad Henderson

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
To be blunt. Although I do not know you, or have never seen your material. You are 14 yrs old. A lot of kids get fascinated and enthralled by the idea of "get rich and get famous quick."

Even Kevin Ho, an established artist, released his first public material in Manuscript form.

Releasing a DVD can go only several ways (I should say, "Attempting" to release a DVD):

1, you can be successful and become the worlds next genius magician at the age of 14,15.

2, it might get approved, but sell 10 copies, you would lose a lot of money and any chances of getting published again in the future.

3, you might get turned down, and be served with a serious reality check.

To be honest, I suggest learning that reality check from these forums and from this post. Try and be content with being a good magician and wanting to improve the best you can. When the time is right, and your material is good enough to warrant a DVD, people (you DON'T know, Established Magicians, etc...) will suggest to you to publish your works.

It would only be a concern if you haven't been performing long enough to work with your material to make sure it is time tested, strong material. Also younger magicians can forget to do their homework in regards to the history of the effects they 'create'. Obviously no one knows you or your stuff, but age is definitely a red flag for most.
That said, however, if you feel strongly enough about your material, get it into the hands of some working professionals you would trust and get their feed back. After you make all the changes that would come form their advice, then look at the DVD route.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

j

Thank you for the reply jtmorris
Yes, i understand now how it can be a concern. To be honest, my material is not elementary. As for now, I wish to release a flourish DVD. 85% of the stuff is original, but of course I will give credit where credit is due. But again, I am good at what I do and I say this is the most humble way possible and I think i can release a DVD.

Thank you

Dom

Unless the material you've got has been real world tested, refined, developed, and streamlined over the course of a few years, I wouldn't even think about releasing a DVD, especially at the age of 14. If this has all been done, by all means good luck!

Michael,

Thank you my friend. Yes, I have been doing magic for 3 years. Not really a feat, but I have learned a vast majority of material and skills of which I will incoporate into the product.

Thanks
Dom

You should show the material to someone established in the field. I'm not talking about someone with 6 one trick DVDs, I'm talking about someone who knows the history of the art. They should confirm that the material you are offering is indeed original and advances the printed record, rather than being a mere handful of personalizations. If it is not original, then you need to seek permission from those who should grant it.

After you have gone through the vetting process, ask yourself, "What is more valuable: to have an arsenal of material that you can use in performance over the rest of your career that will lead people to seek you out in order to see these amazing things they have heard that you can do" or "to make a couple hundred bucks on a DVD that leads everyone to think - oh, so that's what that kid does - and forget about you after the newest batch of someone else's DVDs starts getting hyped?"

Brad Henderson

Mr Henderson,

Thank you for answering

To start, my main goal of my DVD is not to make a profit, although that will be one of the many benefits to creating my product. And yes, I do plan to credit and recieve permission for some moves. And, I do believe that these flourishes and moves will be remembered for decades to come.

Dom

To be blunt. Although I do not know you, or have never seen your material. You are 14 yrs old. A lot of kids get fascinated and enthralled by the idea of "get rich and get famous quick."

Even Kevin Ho, an established artist, released his first public material in Manuscript form.

Releasing a DVD can go only several ways (I should say, "Attempting" to release a DVD):

1, you can be successful and become the worlds next genius magician at the age of 14,15.

2, it might get approved, but sell 10 copies, you would lose a lot of money and any chances of getting published again in the future.

3, you might get turned down, and be served with a serious reality check.

To be honest, I suggest learning that reality check from these forums and from this post. Try and be content with being a good magician and wanting to improve the best you can. When the time is right, and your material is good enough to warrant a DVD, people (you DON'T know, Established Magicians, etc...) will suggest to you to publish your works.

Tokyo,

Thanks my friend

In regards to your reply, I am not like "a lot of kids." This is far from a "get rich and famous scheme." I understand your point fully, and am not afraid to get rejected. I have been working on these flourishes for over a year now and I DO think they are quality. However, if rejection is the case, so be it. It will not discourage me, and I will continue on working on new material. But I will take into consideration becoming the best magician I can, you have really helped me out

Sincerely,

Dom

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results