Why do YOU perform?

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
We all perform for a reason, let it be for skill, a goal, understanding, knowledge or anything else that could possibly motivate you. What makes you pick up 52 cards in the morning? what makes you take that thumb-tip out with you? what makes you learn complicated and difficult flourishes when a overhand shuffle does the job?

It has always been a question I have wanted an answer to ever since I started, hell I don't even know why I do.

We all have our different reasons.

My question to you is why do you perform?

Jul 7, 2008
i perform because of the skills that u learn learning magic
i mean think about it
we all build confidence
we all learn a lil bit more about people from magic
and its a great thing to hav for the future
2 me
magic is an expeience that may take me places i cant even imagine

Sep 11, 2007
I perform because I love people and I like to see them react to things they don't understand. People enjoy it and smile. If they are entertained, then I have done my job. That's why i've been performing for almost 20 years.

The strive to be different. Magic will seperate me from everyone. It will allow me to stand out in a crowd. With a deck of 52 cards with numbers and pictures all over them I can become amazing and break the boundary between reality and fiction. That is why I perform.

I have to keep the magic of life alive. Help a little kid get a laugh and have a good day. Brighten up an elderly person or Cancer patients day. Add to the joy of life and take away from the hardships of life, make people think that there still is hope and miracles left in the world. If that is not magic then I don't know what is... This is why I grab those cards, that thumb tip, the spongeballs, and that raven every morning. To keep the REAL magic of life alive... HAPPINESS.

Dylan P.

Apr 30, 2008
PA
i do it to amaze audience's and to make other want to do magic , i try to inspire others to become magicians and i love the reactions i get

Apr 26, 2008
I perform and practice magic because i love to make people look at life a little differently... I try to shake things up...as Joel Paschall would say "to make people question their beliefs"....and to just help people to enjoy the small miracles in life...

I'm also addicted to that look of pure amazement that people can't control..... I strive to influence people with any type of magic that i do...If people aren't affected at all by what we as magicians do, then it's almost as though we failed..

May 3, 2008
I do magic because it's not something that people see everyday. It causes them to let their guard down a bit and just have fun. I have fun doing it and it really helps lighten everyone's mood. The same would go for flourishing. It's something that people see all the time in movies and such and have all tried at least once only to find out how impossible it was. When they see someone young and do something that obviously did not happen over night, it really causes them to question how much effort they put into accomplishing their goals.

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
**** dude thats a good question..and to tell you the truth i really dont know i mean i love the responses i get from people but i want all the hecklers to die lol jj but the reason why i pick up my deck of 54 in the mornin is to feel good about myself i never really though i was meant for anything else like when i look back on my life iv been goin slight of hand since i was like 7 and i think thats why i got so into it i mean i admit i stole like candy when i was younger just to see if nobody saw......so yea befor i go offf topic thats just the main reason why

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Ok, since this is the second page, there is probably no original answers, so I'm not going to read any of the replies, that way my answer isn't necessarily original, but original to me. I hope that made sense. Anyways.. Why do I perform magic? I perform magic because it makes me just that extra little bit different than others. Also it builds confidence, and the look on a spectator's face when you show the 6 of spades, not their card, then flick it and it changes to their card the 5 of hearts visually, its an amazing feeling. Plus its a way to break the ice with girls. I'm not saying that its a good way to meet girls, or attract them, but it is a good icebreaker. Those are just a few of the many reasons I perform magic.

Not to get off track but I really think that this is a good thread and deserves an honarable mention. I have read through all of the responses and surprisingly each one has a unique answer unlike other threads. This is probably the most constructive thread we have had in months. just thought I would give you my opinion. anyway continue...

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
Not to get off track but I really think that this is a good thread and deserves an honarable mention. I have read through all of the responses and surprisingly each one has a unique answer unlike other threads. This is probably the most constructive thread we have had in months. just thought I would give you my opinion. anyway continue...

Thanks, Is a question that has many answers, has been interesting what you all have had to say. Please keep going.

Feb 12, 2008
Why did I begin to study magic and perform?

A little something the pick-up artist community refers to as DHV (demonstrating higher value). It's the art of establishing that you are more valuable than any of the people around you, for whatever reason. Mine, of course, was going to be performing card tricks. I love playing cards. (I even had this great idea to have some spare King of Hearts cards I could give out with my name and phone number written on them. You can borrow that if you'd like.)

Why do I perform magic now?
I like to use it as a ministry tool, as it provides a cool way to connect to the junior high students I volunteer with at my church. Also, to borrow from Paul Harris, the "art of astonishment" has become an obsession of mine. I'm extremely critical of effects that don't "wow" me. If I can't look at an effect, as a magician, and go "wowwwww, THAT'S cool", it's not worth performing - because THAT'S the reaction I'm aiming for. Total bewilderment.

So that's my world.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
My reason is probably different to the most of you. While most of you like to be different or/and in the spotlight, I have picked up magic as a means with improving my ability to interact in front of crowds, groups or audiences.

I have picked up and been performing magic because a few years ago I was too shy to manage and entretain said groups - now I feel I have inproved immensely.

I hope to keep improving, and along the way, make people's uneventfull days all the brighter.

Gustav

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results