Digital Dissolve

Mar 29, 2008
Sure...and I say, some products are like hamburger, and some are like steak. Steak is a higher quality meat, it cost more. High quality stuff usually costs more. I see it as an investment. If you get one show from a coin gimmick, it pays for itself. If not...why are you doing that effect?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah I know what you mean, but I am saying that they should get what they can afford for right now. I don't know many people on this board who could afford a Lassen or Schoolcraft product when they just show magic to their friends and family.

Now when they start making money doing it professionally, then they should get the top quality Sirloin steaks.

Jul 8, 2008
Doesn't Jamie Schoolcraft sell the gimmick for like $250? I'm pretty sure he used to, is that worth the price? It's like, what, 1/16 of the price? Thats just estimating btw.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
His shells are the expensive ones, I looked and his C/S was like 60 to 70 bucks. Don't know how much Lassen charges but I am assuming maybe in that same price range.

Apr 5, 2009
Does it work in other countries?

Hi!

In the little time I've been into magic I've always wanted to buy coin shells and gimmicked coins to do crazy illusions with coins. However, I'm from Norway, and coinshells here are almost impossible to find, and if you find something you'd have to pay many, many times the price of american coin shells, naturally this has something to do with the production quantities etc.

Anyway, my question is: Would you recommend someone from a foreign country buy this trick? Or would it be strange to walk up to someone and show them something with foreign coins?

I know that question pretty much answers itself, but from what I could tell from the video, this coins looked really special anyway, and then I thought maybe that's the charm and they could be used in my country as well.

What do you guys think?

Apr 5, 2009
If you're really serious you could always talk to someone like Schoolcraft and have him make gaffed coins in Kroner. Send him an email (or better yet call him) and see if he can help you out. I know of a few people who have done this with their local currency.

/M

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 5, 2009
As for the whole Lassen / Schoolcraft /Johnson et al shells, and which to get... well I look at it like buying a car.

Some can afford a Bentley, and others can afford a Honda. They both drive the same and gets you from point A to B. But if you can afford a Bentley then "why not?"

/M

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2009
Hi!

In the little time I've been into magic I've always wanted to buy coin shells and gimmicked coins to do crazy illusions with coins. However, I'm from Norway, and coinshells here are almost impossible to find, and if you find something you'd have to pay many, many times the price of american coin shells, naturally this has something to do with the production quantities etc.

Anyway, my question is: Would you recommend someone from a foreign country buy this trick? Or would it be strange to walk up to someone and show them something with foreign coins?

I know that question pretty much answers itself, but from what I could tell from the video, this coins looked really special anyway, and then I thought maybe that's the charm and they could be used in my country as well.

What do you guys think?

I am from a foreign country too and I asked myself the same question. And my answer was yes, it is a little bit strange. But not too strange because you can give easy justification for it. You may just say something like that you are collecting coins and you just found out that some weird stuff happens with this silver dollar and that copper penny. Still not perfect I know, but I really think it doesnt take anything away from the effect and most spectators wont care about the currency especially since it is examinable afterwards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results