Behold the Scarabaeus

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Product Link:http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=5235
There's a great demo vid of this on the page

Review:
I've had this particular product for over a year now and use it weekly. If you're not familiar with this trick, it's bloody brilliant. It's a cell phone penetration of a bottle(or any small object cell phone size or smaller). I use it with the cell phone mainly. You can BORROW any plastic bottle(water bottle, soda bottle, gatorade bottle, whatever) hold it in one hand with absolutely no set-up of the bottle, borrow a spectators cell phone, and gently melt the phone into the bottle. You then proceed to pull out a knife and cut open the bottle to remove the cell phone. Yes, the phone is actually in the bottle! You can shake the bottle as evidence. I'm sure you're minds trying to process how this is accomplished. The bottle can be borrowed, you never conceal the bottle, it's out in the open the entire time. Trust me, you won't guess how it's done.

Gimmick:
The gimmick is devious. I can't say enough about it. It's easily concealed(no palming or anything of the kind). It comes with Insta-Ditch which is another gimmick that allows you to ditch the Scarabeus gimmick easily and quietly without any misdirection. There isn't much difficulty in this effect. It will take a little practice to do smoothly but not very hard at all. Difficulty is probalby 3/10.

Overall:
The price might be expensive in some eyes 49.95, but it's priceless to me. It will last me a lifetime, and I use it frequently. If Criss Angel didn't use so many damn camera tricks to do his phone penetrations and whatnot this is the product he'd probably use. Get it if you can. The only con I could think of is the spectator can't handle the bottle with the cell phone pentrated, but I've never been asked, I shake the bottle and show it on all sides so the spec. is absolutely convinced. Beautiful effect. It's not well known due to it being created by a magician based out of Tulsa, OK. He only promotes it on his site www.magic.org. I believe Penguin carried it for awhile but sold out and didn't re-stock. Get it!

Zack

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
quick question about it. I read the reviews on the page and it seems to make noise and hard to ditch and instructions suck. Is there anything different besides the insta ditch or did they help fix some of the other problems also?

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Answer:

The gimmick makes no more noise than a classic erdnase color change when done correctly. No one will notice in a regular performing environment. I've performed this over 100 times at least and have never been called on it. The insta-ditch is pretty cool, I think at least. It's not hard to ditch, but there is another alternative method that doesn't use insta-ditch, but it has more downfalls than pros in my opinion. Insta-ditch isn't difficult at all. The one thing I do agree with is the instructions. The pamplet isn't very easy to follow. I read it first, then put the CD-Rom in and it made much more sense seeing what's going on and combining it with the written instructions. Hope this helps.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I agree with magi1982, I got one of these aaaages ago when it came out and it is AWESOME.

It's one of those things that truly messes with a spectator's mind, there is no possible way to fit a cellphone in a bottle - did that just happen?:S

I thought the price was very fair as you do get a fair amount of things to play with in the package. Very simple, very direct and very workable. The props are of high quality too!

it's a 9/10 in my book for sure!

D.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Damn,I didnt want anyone to know about this.
Its years old and absolutely brilliant. This is real magic,no f'ing sandwich effect.
Criss angel used this a while back in his special.

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
I believe it only comes in one size, however, I don't think it'll be a problem fitting. You'll see what I mean if you end up purchasing it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results