Blurry Focus on the Video

PatrickKun

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.patrickkun.com
Have you guys ever noticed the blurry focus on all of the DVDs here. I found that it really get me dizzy sometimes. I'm not sure whether it was just the camera or they do it on purpose. When they explain on the dvd the focus is just kept getting blurry every once in a while. What do you guys think?

Sep 2, 2007
Have you guys ever noticed the blurry focus on all of the DVDs here. I found that it really get me dizzy sometimes. I'm not sure whether it was just the camera or they do it on purpose. When they explain on the dvd the focus is just kept getting blurry every once in a while. What do you guys think?

A few people have been problems with the blurryness at times during the videos - http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=934.

Apparently, its the camera's auto-focus feature, which causes the blurryness automatically when the camera zooms in, as it refocuses.

Cheers,
JTM

Me! said:
There's very little anyone could do about it unless they bought a new camera that auto-focuses faster.

The 'blurring' is used for switching camera angles so that the switch is as aesthetically pleasing as possible (Dana cuts the footage so that when it cuts to the different view, it is in the process of re-focusing, which is why it's blurry). But the camera also needs to re-focus itself each and every time it zooms in or out and there's nothing the cameraman can do about it. Whenever the camera zooms in/out on something, the camera lens needs to re-adjust itself to that specific zoom level. The blurring is the visual product of the camera lens automatically focusing themselves. So unless you never want the camera to zoom in or out :confused: , the blurring is just a natural effect of the camera zooming in or out and a 'necessary evil', if you will. But I still think it's cool :D

The camera automatically does it when the camera zooms in on something. Short of buying a new, better (--> more expensive) camera or staying still the whole time (which I think we can all agree is a bad idea), there's nothing anyone can do about. Dana is just very clever in using this auto-focus to his advantage while transitioning to different scenes or angles.
Hope that answered your question!

PS. I originally posted that in the other thread on thsi topic, here (http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?p=13750#post13750)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results