The Queens

Dec 10, 2007
i liked that its the best variation i seen

have you seen Jordan Lapping's?

For the most part i thought it could have been smoother, i didnt like a lot of the sleights, but i really liked the production. Very nice but could use some work.

Take care man,
Victor Cruz

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
That trick sucks, I don't mean your version, I just mean that that trick sucks even when Dan and Dave Buck do it. It doesn't look magical. On the positive side you showed some good creativity and originality, I would suggest focusing that on a more deserving trick, or just creating a trick from scratch. A magic trick shouldn't be about "look what I can do," it should just be amazing. If you had just forced a card and built up the moment saying "watch this!" etc., then did that last vanish of just that one card, and then you paused and slowly turned around and had a duplicate sticking out of your back pocket, that would be a thousand times more magical. To sum it up, everybody stop doing this trick, there's no point in polishing a terd.

And we are all MUCH more creative and talented than the originator of this effect, not to mention the fact that we have a much greater understanding of magic in general.
Bill Goodwin- Pfft.

Oh and in case it didn't come across there- SARCASM.

Decent job on the effect FYI. It looked a little clunky and methodical at times but the production was sweet.

CL

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Whilst I disagree with Jack's argument - the concept that you must be more talented than someone else to criticise them is rather silly.

I liked the production, I didn't like the sleights, they definitely could be much smoother. The very first placement of the cards back on the deck was probably the worst version I've seen of the first disappearance. Far too much obstruction, like a badly done Polaroid Change.

Nov 10, 2007
I liked it alot. Awesome variation. I think you ust need to get a little more smooth at it and you will be great. 2 thumbs up.

And we are all MUCH more creative and talented than the originator of this effect, not to mention the fact that we have a much greater understanding of magic in general.
Bill Goodwin- Pfft.
Wait, are you referring that just because a excellent magician publishes, you automatically suggest that its perfect, whereas your opinion will instantly be inferior? That depends on your experience as a magician and the artistic choices your making.

Magic is as we all know an art form, this means whats good for you might be bad for another. 2 extremely good magicians will think differently about effects, example? I know guy who thinks that Open Travelers STINK, though he's one today's top cardmen, and knew Larry Jennings, personally, quite well.

Another example, Dr.Daley invented the Strike double, which many magicians think its great, on other hand, Nate Leipzang hated it like poison.

I happen to disagree with some of Dai Vernon's on the Pass, Marlo's thoughts on an effect of his, and many other things of world's top cardmen. My opinions, however, are NOT born of me being stubborn (and I am such person ) but are educated from my own thinking and analysis, influenced by reading theory and ideas of magicians. While I disagree with some Vernon moves I agree with 99% of them. I just "Used my Head".

Thats said, personally, I HATE this effect ( though not D&D Buck, I'm criticizing the trick, not their skill ). I think its plain show off of your clever ability of hiding cards in the deck, which is fully demonstrated when you produce the cards at the end.

The idea of vanishing cards on the deck appeared first ( to my knowledge ) an effect credited to Frank Garcia ( Apex Aces ), many cardmen devised versions of it. The routine is divided into 2 phases, the vanishes and the productions. The vanishes in D&D version are quite unique, the production simply destroys everything. I don't know Bill Goodwin's routine by if it ends with such production, then I simply think that its extremely flawed, and far superior versions are available.

However, I do like D&D H.Peak, and an R. Paul Wilson effect which is identical to a Bill Goodwin effect, though different methodology. That Goodwin effect is pure genius, as well as his other work.

So, my opinion, the vanishes are cute and work great with good showmanship ( something thats absent in all performances of the trick I've seen so far, though since none were live performances, this is understandable ), the production is, simply, flawed, due to reasons I stated above, would love if anyone corrects me.

Cheers, I'm getting ready to be flamed.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I thought it was a nice performance and variation. I personally don't like this trick too much though, but that's just because its not my style.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Wait, are you referring that just because a excellent magician publishes, you automatically suggest that its perfect, whereas your opinion will instantly be inferior? That depends on your experience as a magician and the artistic choices your making.

Magic is as we all know an art form, this means whats good for you might be bad for another. 2 extremely good magicians will think differently about effects, example? I know guy who thinks that Open Travelers STINK, though he's one today's top cardmen, and knew Larry Jennings, personally, quite well.

Cheers, I'm getting ready to be flamed.

No, but I certainly think his opinion is more improtant than somebody who can't spell 'Turd'.

As it happens, my favourite handling of the queens plot is Dave Forrests. He's developed the visuals of the queens to fit around an actual magic effect, where the queens do indeed vanish one by one, but rather than a flashy production to conclude (As, lets face it, it's fairly inconclusive), the queens are found surrounding a selection in the middle of the deck. Looks very magical.

No Flaming. I ain't down fo' that.

CL

Jul 30, 2008
Well Jack, since you understand that everyone have different approaches to magic, I believe that you fully comprehend the fact that everyone will have different preferences when it comes to magic. It seems to me that you are too eager to prove your point. Whether it is magical or not isn't for you to dicate. I have performed this several times, some find the vanishes magical while some don't. Try to convince everyone, and you will surely fail.

I have performed this several times, some find the vanishes magical while some don't. Try to convince everyone, and you will surely fail.
Its not about the vanishes, this is not the point here.

For me its about the final production. Some posters above mentioned that its their style. I dont think its a matter of style because a trick means that you should fool the spectator with it, in this case, it won't, simply because the end production tips the basic idea ( which for laymen, is enough to think that they figure out the trick ).

In other words, its a matter of style, its a matter of trick construction. Don't know about people's style here, but my style demands a trick that fools.

And by the way, I did perform D&D's version, the vanishes played very well, the reaction to the production was as expected "haha, thats clever, so they were hidden in the deck all this time". Good thing I did it as a standalone effect or otherwise, my whole act would be affected by this ( in my own estimation ).

Anyways ..

Cheers,

Jul 30, 2008
Yes, I agree with you, but what's could be a better suggestion? Unless it's your last effect, without the reproduction, the spectators are bound to figure out the queens are in the pack anyway.(unless you're hoping they would forget) Based on your perception, going into a collectors effect is plain ridiculous as well. So, any ideas?

Based on your perception, going into a collectors effect is plain ridiculous as well. So, any ideas?
Actually, not at all, since the effect is presented as if the cards ACTUALLY GO to the deck, rather than disappearing in mid air. That makes all the difference.

The idea is to give the vanishes something, a meaning, like collectors, cards to pocket ( right out of my heard, not a bad idea at all ). .. etc

While I do have a version, its a cards-to-impossible location mixed up with collectors.

Cheers,

Sep 2, 2007
London
I have to agree with Medifro and Jack Spades here. There can be something very magical about something, cards, coins, whatever, vanishing and reappearing, however, neither Bill Goodwin's original effect or Dan and Dave's variation really acheive this in my view. With some good, audience-involving patter, and without the final production, I think the trick can be improved immensely. As a kicker, I think the queens should be produced from some impossible location, rather than just from the deck.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I love you man, you crack me up! You're so protective of these guys. I am too, it's awesome that they feel comfortable posting their own version of tricks for feedback. I know he wouldn't have posted the video unless he thought it was awesome. I'm not out to put people down, but so many kids want to be Dave and Dan Buck, and that's understandable, they're cool, but I really think someone like Wayne Houchin is a much better role model for them. His tricks are within their technical ability, not to mention they're better tricks. Not that I'm into pulling string out of my eye, but a trick like Indecent is so powerful. You do a trick like that and people will think you're awesome, that's magic. Here's a challenge for you guys, try making this trick as magical as possible without using any of the vanishes taught by Dan and Dave. Just see what you can come up with. We can have a little competition and see how other people approach creating a magic trick. I'll be in on this too, I'll post a video and you can see my approach to magic. I'd love to see what you guys can come up with. Would you guys be interested in something like that? Whoever wants to do it just let us know. Seeing how different people approach magic is important, so I hope a lot of people try this. If you want in on this just post that your in and try to have your trick ready by the end of December. I bet you some of these Theory11 guys would even put up prizes. Maybe we don't want prises, this should be as nonthreatening as possible. Whatever you feel comfortable with. The important thing is this could be a really good learning experience. This is not like school where someone's going to laugh at you if you mess up, everyone here just wants everyone else to be the best they can be. Besides you'd have to post a video, so you can do it until you get it right if you have to. What do you guys think? Do you want to try this little experiment?

Let's go for it. I'm in.

I've also got the perfect idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results