What would Dai do?

Sep 2, 2007
Well, i'm pretty sure no one read my images of greatness thread but I was Dai Vernon and stayed in character the entire time with my table and close-up mat and big sign that read ,"THE MAN WHO FOOLED HOUDINI"

I did a whole bunch of tricks like thought stealer, righting a wrong, search and destroy, etc

Whenever someone would ask me ,"How did you fool Houdini?" I would break out my deck and go into my ambitious card routine. It went off perfectly, except for the last time, I accidently messed up the count for my dad's card and it wasn't a good finish. They were still amazed though and I thought it was great.

I've probably broken my gitters or shakiness of hands because I was never nervous at all.

ANYWAY, point being I acted like the man himself, always introduced myself and made some little comedy lines.

So, I'm not saying this will work for you, but if you want to be a better magician, some of these suggestions might work:
Always, introduce yourself.
When doing a trick, try out different patter/story

The most important of all is iteract with youraudience, I can't stress that enough. I've seen magicians say it but I never tried it until tonight, it works.

The best way to make your magic better is to put yourself out there, whether it's going out to the street and asking people or just doing stuff for family and friends.

Also, don't try and force people into a magic, if they don't want to, they'll be hecklers. It's better for them to come to you because if they're really interested, they'll ask you, not vice versa.

If you deal with a heckler, learn from your mistakes or just say ,"I'm sorry, that guy/girl is bothering me, I won't do the trick until they are gone" usually they will shut up or be pushed outside the circle.

I like the first part of this post, but while it may be easier to entertain if you are approached it is necessary (if you plan on doing strolling gigs and actually being hired) you MUST learn to do the approaching, and become extremely comfortable doing so.

Also if you are being paid to perform you need to perform, heckler or not. There are a handful of great ways to deal with a heckler, calling them out and whining about it is not one of them. Overtime you need to learn audience control. The better you get at controlling your audience the less opportunities one has to heckle.

Sep 2, 2007
I like the first part of this post, but while it may be easier to entertain if you are approached it is necessary (if you plan on doing strolling gigs and actually being hired) you MUST learn to do the approaching, and become extremely comfortable doing so.

Also if you are being paid to perform you need to perform, heckler or not. There are a handful of great ways to deal with a heckler, calling them out and whining about it is not one of them. Overtime you need to learn audience control. The better you get at controlling your audience the less opportunities one has to heckle.

Not necessarily.

You can go by a table or something and do a couple flourishes, if one persons sees you, you can start talking to them and etc.

And no, approahcing is something you will have to learn in if your in a paid gig, but for sake of doing magic on your own time, it's better if they approach you, already said that way, they show interest, not the other way around.

"You can go by a table or something and do a couple flourishes, if one persons sees you, you can start talking to them and etc."

If you start talking to them that means that you approached them, not the other way around. If you walk around doing flourishes of course there are gonna be those who look, but the majority of people will not approach you, even if you are flourishing. They'll look and be amazed, but you still need to do the approaching.

And the whole beauty of magic is sparking interest in ANYONE, not just satisfying those who already have interest. While sitting down and waiting for people to come to you may be easy, you're robbing yourself of valuable experience.

But to each his own.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
INTERACT WITH YOUR AUDIENCE.

Probably the most neglected and weakest aspect of the majority of magicians' performances.

So true. I remember when i just switched my brain off and concentrated on the sleights, passes, steals when i should've been interacting with my spectators.

Once I started to interact, i could amaze with simple tricks and get away with bolder moves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results