Balance in magic and life?

Jul 19, 2008
Hey guys.

Well I just recently (as of 2 days ago) started getting back into magic since the beginning of the school year in September. My question is those of you who are really good (and even those of you who aren't), how do you balance magic with the rest of your life as in jobs, excercise etc...

I find it difficult to keep up with magic as I am both a musician and a honors student and I also have other commitments. I want to hear your guyses opinions as to how you manage your time regarding to magic, and so forth.

DoveMagic

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Instead of sitting down at the computer, I shut it off and grab some cards or other such things. It really isn't difficult to find some down time to play around with magic, and you don't have to be hard on yourself to practice. Just relax with your magic, at least that is what I do and it works for me.

Peace
:)

Feb 26, 2008
Chicago
I spend 8 hrs sleeping. 9 hrs of school, 2 hrs social or more sometimes, 2 hr homework, 1hr of reading(includes magic and non magic), 1hr of practicing magic, 1 hr of chess

Sep 30, 2008
Weekends. Without weekends I have almost noooooooo time for magic. Thank God for weekends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Heres a good tip for you. Get your self ready to bed shower teeth etc... Then go to bed 30 minuets later than you do know. Now you have 30 minutes a day to practice. But if you wake up 30 minuets earlier you now have 60 minuets a day to practice. So all you have to do to fit magic into your life is to give up an hour of sleep each day.

-Michael

Sep 1, 2007
Thankfully, I go to a magical place known as college where I can devote the majority of my time to practicing and performing (and possibly drinking gratuitous amounts of "happy juice"). If you're in high school, I recommend you stick to practicing on weekends, unless you're a senior, in which case colleges don't look at your second semester transcript, so go insane.

If you're in middle school, you've got it made. Grades honestly don't matter until high school, as long as you're still learning things.

Actually that's not true at all. Get good grades. You heard it here first.

On another note, Michael's idea is really good. Listen to him, for serious.

Sep 1, 2007
Thankfully, I go to a magical place known as college where I can devote the majority of my time to practicing and performing (and possibly drinking gratuitous amounts of "happy juice"). If you're in high school, I recommend you stick to practicing on weekends, unless you're a senior, in which case colleges don't look at your second semester transcript, so go insane.

If you're in middle school, you've got it made. Grades honestly don't matter until high school, as long as you're still learning things.

Actually that's not true at all. Get good grades. You heard it here first.

On another note, Michael's idea is really good. Listen to him, for serious.

Actually, on a more serious note, it is integral for any kind of performer to have a strong knowledge base, especially linguistically. For all forms of art, it is essential to have a frame of reference in many areas--historic, literary, scientific, etc. So study hard, kids. And don't be hitting the bottle either. No good.

Use Penn and Teller as role models.

Jul 19, 2008
I find them intriguing (Penn and Teller). I actually like them much more BECAUSE they are knowledgeable in other subjects which make them appear (because they are) very intelligent.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
It does get a bit tight at times
I am like you
I perform magic, drums, guitar, sax, honor student, rugby team, school magazine, photographer, charity comitee, orchestra, jazz band, and a graphics designer. I just try to balance all the other comitments and activities in my week then throw in magic as much as I can.
Waiting in a bus? whip out your deck of cards
Waiting to sleep? whip out your deck of cards
Resting after studying? whip out your deck of cards
you get what I mean?
haha

I do have a busy schedule wtih work, 2 majors, 5 girlfriends, but everything I do, Magic is involved. I do magic in every class I have, especially my psychology classes. All my gf's love the magic. I work as a camera/computer tech for a portrait studio during the day, and I'm always doing magic for the people there. While I walk down the street or am sitting somewhere, I do my flourishes and when people start to watch, I start the magic. For me, its not about balancing the magic in, its fitting the other things around the magic. Magic is number 1 and my schooling is a close 2. Its my only true love in my life. Everything else is replacable to me, magic is not.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm currently at college so while it is busy there's often a lot of opportunity to practice. I practice sleights during lectures, when i'm doing work, watching dvd's etc. Then when I go out at night I always perform. It's never really a problem.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK

Uh oh, misread that at first...:rolleyes:

Magic? Whenever I get a free moment, I whip out a deck of cards. I sit there in lessons casually palming and unpalming coins. There are loads of opportunities and you'll find even more if you don't limit yourself to cards. Cards are banned at my school so I have to resort to doing tricks with whatever I can find. Great fun.

Nov 30, 2008
In britain we have don't have an honours system but i maintain and A-A* grade (90%+ on most work and tests). I barely do any work outside of school, my nightly activities include practicing magic, gambling, drums, sax, playing with my camera, designing, gaming w/e.

You can't get truly amazing at something quickly if you have an interest in alot of different things. Look like some of the big figures in XCM for example, they used to spend 7-8 hours a day practicing, that's how you become good at it.

Obviously, it's impractical to do that if you have other hobbies interests as those will get curbed along the way. Just fit it in whenever you can. My best tip is keep an old deck of cards on you always as it's;

A)Good for impromptu
B)You May find yourself with ten minutes to spare 4-5 times a day, that's over 30 mins of practice!
C)Great for showing off! :D

Fl0urish

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Uh oh, misread that at first...:rolleyes:

Magic? Whenever I get a free moment, I whip out a deck of cards. I sit there in lessons casually palming and unpalming coins. There are loads of opportunities and you'll find even more if you don't limit yourself to cards. Cards are banned at my school so I have to resort to doing tricks with whatever I can find. Great fun.

lol i did 2

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i recently started homeschooling, because of my lack in faith of the our public education system.
so i have alot more time now.
but thats besides the point.

when i was in public school, cards were not aloud(like that stopped me)
i pulled a deck of cards out every day in lunch, and in study hall.
I had basketball after school, and then homework, so i just got that done and picked up a deck until sleepy time.

my advice, if your not doing something required of you, have a deck of cards in your hand(coins, crystal balls, etc)

hope that helps

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results