Armspread trouble

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Well I've decided to start working more on my armspreads. I've gotten the spread and catch down but theres one problem. whenever is spread it on the front of my hand, there's always a break that forms at my wrist. Like the edge of the card hit the base of the thumb and then seperate, which makes it harder to turnover and catch. So how do you fix this problem? If you have anysuggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I tend to start my armspreads at the wrist and move down, my knuckle creates a break very similar to what you're talking about and when I toss it up it either doesn't turn over like the rest of the packet or it breaks away and doesn't fall in the same place.

Sep 1, 2007
Hi, this is a very common problem, it has to do with your technique for creating the spread.

With your spreading hand, you should bevel the cards and with your thumb, riffle off the cards as you spread along. use a LOT of pressure for a more even spread also

mainly, the part of the deck touching your arm should be the very edge of the deck, the long far side (think of it as like a razor or something shaving your arm)

now since your release is controlled completely by your thumb of your spreading hand you can determine how evenly the spread is made no matter where your "break" between thumb and wrist happens on the spread-on arm.

once you have an even spread the turnover will work alot better.

Jan 31, 2008
Hi, this is a very common problem, it has to do with your technique for creating the spread.

With your spreading hand, you should bevel the cards and with your thumb, riffle off the cards as you spread along. use a LOT of pressure for a more even spread also

mainly, the part of the deck touching your arm should be the very edge of the deck, the long far side (think of it as like a razor or something shaving your arm)

now since your release is controlled completely by your thumb of your spreading hand you can determine how evenly the spread is made no matter where your "break" between thumb and wrist happens on the spread-on arm.

once you have an even spread the turnover will work alot better.

Listen to the man ;) Also, don't try spreads with the same cards you do cuts with (or just no clumpy cards) it is near impossible to do spreads with clumpy cards, and it is impossible to do turnovers with those type of cards, I think when doing armspread the most important things to watch out for are good conditioned cards (fanning powder will help immensely with Armspreads) and applying lots of pressure when spreading the deck, that will ensure the spread holds together when you toss it up for a catch or whatever, rather than desintrigrating....

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
I find that creating somewhat of a curve of your wrist helps this. Holding your hand completely flat causes something like a speed bump.

Listen to Trashmanf, and try creating an even surface to spread on.

-Kevin

Sep 1, 2007
well the denser and the more even the spacing is what makes it easier to turn over. if your spacing is further out (less cards for a given constant length) then your spread must be REALLY even or you are screwed. wait until you try a dual-back-armspread-turnover-transfer and all of these factors have to combine.

I recommend just doing back-arm spreads while you get the idea of the controlled spread, toss, and catch... its alot easier. then move to conventional armspreads.

Sep 1, 2007
just learn the interlocking double-back armspread first which is actually relatively easy... but then initiating the back-arm turnover while "loaded" is freakin hard. combined with the re-interlock and turnover transfer makes it freaking difficult (my video version was too slow so I took it down) but its one of my favorite moves still, should definitely appear again :D

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
just learn the interlocking double-back armspread first which is actually relatively easy... but then initiating the back-arm turnover while "loaded" is freakin hard. combined with the re-interlock and turnover transfer makes it freaking difficult (my video version was too slow so I took it down) but its one of my favorite moves still, should definitely appear again :D

Take the word 'armspread' out of there and you sound like an Olympic gymnast on the uneven bars. :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results