Practice makes perfect...

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
All to often I read people asking for help, as if there were secrets the cardistry elites are keeping from beginners. There is a secret, it's called practice.

The problem with the majority of people on this board is that they don't practice enough. I see people looking for secret finger positions, as if they would somehow cut practice time by hours. It's not going to. Before you make a thread asking for help, consider this. Who did the creators of the move you're practicing have to ask for help? There is no substitute for practice. Not only that, but people will react differently to certain grips, motions etc. Everyone is different. Not everyones hands are the same size or the same strength, so take that into consideration before asking people on a forum who don't know anything about you. Everything you need to know to execute a flourish properly will be shown to you on the dvd. The people that took the time to make the dvd will have made sure of that. Experiment on your own before coming for help.

Another thing that bothers me are the lackluster videos that people post up of "original flourishes". Sometimes it seems that people don't even watch their videos before posting them. Most people don't care if you perform someone else's moves as long as their performed well, but often times that isn't the case. Only after a year of hardcore flourishing should you be able to make a very good video, any less than that and you'll most likely be choppy and slow. A video should be well-lit and your moves should be performed smoothly and with style. Camera quality, editing and where you shoot is just a bonus. And as for originality, just make sure that what you call "original" isn't just sybil 5 times into revolution and charlier. Originalty is never a bad thing as long as you perform your moves smoothly, which goes back to practicing.

So, for the love of god, practice and 99.9999% of your flourishing problems will go away, and you'll be well on your way to cardistry immortality.

Jan 27, 2008
Wow best post I've read on here so far...

It's because when kids these days get into cardistry they want to do all the coolest sh*t right away; but the dissappointing news flash is: it's not gonna happen. It's an artform, it takes YEARS, to actually develop your own style and post video's worth posting. Who cares if you can do flourishes off the trilogy or stuff by Daniel Madison... we're glad you can do that but we've all seen it. I don't think people should post a video until they truly have something new to show; and if you've been doing cardistry less than around a year or so, you really won't understand what 'new' is.

I don't mind seeing things I've seen many times before, but make sure you can perform it better than the original creator if it's not yours. Even more importantly try to show us at least one new thing or that you have skills to do certain moves no one else can. That will make a good video.

-Sean.Fast

Jan 31, 2008
All to often I read people asking for help, as if there were secrets the cardistry elites are keeping from beginners. There is a secret, it's called practice.

The problem with the majority of people on this board is that they don't practice enough. I see people looking for secret finger positions, as if they would somehow cut practice time by hours. It's not going to. Before you make a thread asking for help, consider this. Who did the creators of the move you're practicing have to ask for help? There is no substitute for practice. Not only that, but people will react differently to certain grips, motions etc. Everyone is different. Not everyones hands are the same size or the same strength, so take that into consideration before asking people on a forum who don't know anything about you. Everything you need to know to execute a flourish properly will be shown to you on the dvd. The people that took the time to make the dvd will have made sure of that. Experiment on your own before coming for help.

Another thing that bothers me are the lackluster videos that people post up of "original flourishes". Sometimes it seems that people don't even watch their videos before posting them. Most people don't care if you perform someone else's moves as long as their performed well, but often times that isn't the case. Only after a year of hardcore flourishing should you be able to make a very good video, any less than that and you'll most likely be choppy and slow. A video should be well-lit and your moves should be performed smoothly and with style. Camera quality, editing and where you shoot is just a bonus. And as for originality, just make sure that what you call "original" isn't just sybil 5 times into revolution and charlier. Originalty is never a bad thing as long as you perform your moves smoothly, which goes back to practicing.

So, for the love of god, practice and 99.9999% of your flourishing problems will go away, and you'll be well on your way to cardistry immortality.

I love you.

I've been saying that since forever though dude, no one listens to me though, nor anyone else besides the "elite high ranking" people like the virts and all the other countless KKK (kut kiddie klones) out there, damn shame really....

Jun 8, 2008
Yeah I agree with this post, It's rare when i ask questions on a flourish, but there was a time when I did and it fixed my problem.

SOme people love to help others and some don't.

So I say practice practice practice. If your practicing hard core and still not getting it, then sure post a question.

Sep 1, 2007
Amen to that brotha!

U used to ask around for help on flourishes, literally 15 minutes after learning them. I practice atleast 3 hours a day(Thats a good ammount considering school)

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah man, the Virts would pwn your *** in anything... the Virts will continue to kick ***.

Last edited by a moderator:

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
This was explained beautifully. You have a way with words my friend. And I agree with several others, sticky this thread!

Dec 24, 2008
Wow best post I've read on here so far...

It's because when kids these days get into cardistry they want to do all the coolest sh*t right away; but the dissappointing news flash is: it's not gonna happen. It's an artform, it takes YEARS, to actually develop your own style and post video's worth posting. Who cares if you can do flourishes off the trilogy or stuff by Daniel Madison... we're glad you can do that but we've all seen it. I don't think people should post a video until they truly have something new to show; and if you've been doing cardistry less than around a year or so, you really won't understand what 'new' is.

I don't mind seeing things I've seen many times before, but make sure you can perform it better than the original creator if it's not yours. Even more importantly try to show us at least one new thing or that you have skills to do certain moves no one else can. That will make a good video.

-Sean.Fast
i agree. i can only do turnover,4sybil,sleepless,and downfall.i was getting p*issed because i couldnt do any thing but i quickly found out that it requires lots of practice.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Haha. I just recently decided to take flourishing past side-hobby (though it did very well in helping my ability to do sleights) and have been reading posts while practicing.

Tis' fun. And hello to everyone, I shall be in this section more often now.

Too bad you wont see any of my videos...as I can see the imperfections when I flourish, unlike a lot of people who make videos after a month of practicing.

Anyway, great thread, it's a shame a lot of people will read it and think that you're lying to them in order to keep the Secret Society of Flourishers and People Who Like to Make Other People Suffer by Not Telling Them the Real Secrets of Flourishing a real underground secret.
or maybe I've said too much...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results