The Artistic Creation thread

Sep 1, 2007
As you sit in front of your computer, I want you to look around the room, and pick up the first object that catches you attention.

Good.

Now, take a look at your object, and realize how you feel about it. Think of one opinion, one point of view that you have towards this object, towards what it represents, towards what it reminds you of.

Does it make you sad/happy/angry ? Why? Is it stupid/useful? Why?

Make this point of view as clear and extreme as you possibly can.

Good.

Now...
Imagine yourself in the illusionary, magical reality we try to create in the audiences mind. A reality where things can occur by magic.

What would you do while trying to express this point of view to your audience? What would happen?

Now write out the routine..... and Post it here if you'd like.

Example:

(Thought Process:

Let's see....uhhh... ok

A shoe.

..... I like shoes... I think my feet are messed up... sometimes the shoes make my toes hurt.... I HATE it when shoes makes my toes hurt... it's like they're getting smaller...

Got it. )

Routine:

As I walk back to the stage (after a routine that involves me being in the middle of the audience), I cry out in pain... my toe hurts.

"Stupid shoe!" I exclaim, as I take the shoe off my foot, "This keeps happening to me!....Either my feet are getting bigger, or these shoes are getting..."

I look back at the shoe. It has shrunk to half its size!

The audience can see I clearly am growing frustated, but I regain my composure in order to make the shoe grow back to its original size. Amazement.

Still, when I try to put the shoe back on, it still seems I can't put my foot in it... hmmm...

I look into the shoe, then back at the audience, "AHA! that was the problem!" It is then revealed to the audience that inside the shoes there was a huge rock!

The rock is removed, the problem is solved, and I put my shoe back on.

The laces tie themselves.

The end.

You may find it a bit difficult to do this exercise at first. This is simply because you have to change your way of thinking; from method and effect, to plot and theme. After a while it will get easier.

Don't worry about the routine sounding ridiculous or unpractical, dont worry about method; the point is to exercise creativity in creating routines that actually mean something to you. Try it. You may actually find yourself not wanting to share your ideas because of they're uniqueness. I leave that up to you.

Have fun.

Alex Linian

I try...Not very easy for me, cause this is not my native language!

An object I see....A Pen
Ok, why a pen? Cause I've it right here on my desktop. As I am an IT engineer, pens are not my favorite way of expression! But, when I have to write down quickly some infos, i use it!!!!!!!
But, in fact, what I would like to have is what is describe in this routine :

Just doing a close-up performance in a restaurant. I start with a card routine at a table. "Say stop where you want". "Ok, the 3 of clubs. Just sign on it. Oh, you don't have any pen..." (here is the first effect :D) "Just a second..." With a little piece of flash paper...A pen! "That's easier with a pen! But don't you think it's a bit small???" Just a wave on the pen...Transforms itself in a bigger pen, like a permanent marker!
"All right! Please write something on the card, your phone number for example!" (I do this joke only if it's a girl!!! :D). "Thanks a lot."
"Now I sign the card!" And put the pen on the card, and it starts writing a short sentence! What a surprise!
Finally, the card is put into the deck, and an ambitious-card routine can start!!!!

Thanks for reading!

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Ha ha nice thread... more detailed than the last one.

I think i'll have a go...

Hmmm I can see a 'Large Putty Erazer' (that's it's actual name... it's just a rubber)...

They can be quite useful... but usually can only rub out lead... and they leave smudges... actually they are pretty messy... but what else could they eraze???

Cool if they could eraze pen... how about marker pens... why not playing card faces... hmmm how about whole cards... yeah, it rubs away a playing card... what about other objects... a window... food... packaging...

Ok, ive got my idea... im now gonna make up a routine and write the fist things that come in my head (within reason lol)

I hand the spec a marker and a business card...
I instruct them to think of anything they like and to write it down...
I then ask them to think of a colour and write it down...
After asking a couple of things I suddenly stop and am like 'Oh no... what have we done' the spec will be like 'Huh...' they turn the card over and it's a precious photo of someone I know...
I get them to see if the ink will rub off, but it won't (obviously)
I look a bit anxious etc and then am like 'Oh phew... I almost forgot' I then bring out an erazer...
I take the card and begin to rub out the marker... but I accidently rub the card away...
'Ahh, where'd it go... oh no...' I then look at my hand 'Ahh, my hand...' where I was holding the rubber my hand got erazed...
I then realize that the rubber is now in my other hand... 'Uh oh'... the rubber hits the floor as my other hand has now gone...
I ask them if they'd pick it up for me as I ave no hands... they are hesitant so I bend down and pick it up with my mouth... as I stand up my head has vanished... I now start running around blindly as I have no head... I trip and fall and don't get up... the spec has a closer look to see if im ok and all thats there is a pile of my clothes and laid on top an erazer...
The end.

There we go ;)

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Ok i'll have another go to bridge the gap till someone else has a try...

Im literally gonna close my eyes and randomly select something....................waving arm around..........................

A balloon :p

Hmmm, ok, well I like balloons... they are light and floaty when inflated... stretchy when flat... filled with helium thay float higher and higher... they pop with a loud bang... it doesn't take much to pop them...

Wouldn't it be cool if they didn't pop... or you din't need helium... what about if they hardened... were heavy???
Blowing them up can give you a funny feeling in your cheeks... good if we didn't need to blow them up...
everyone just assumes a balloon is light and floaty, but what if we can change this at will...

Ok, I will now just randomly chuck together a routine... first things that come to mind...

I have a pack of balloons and let the spec open the pack. They are to remove all the balloons and pass them around, ending with giving me one.
Now I ask all the specs to blow up there balloons... they can't... I say to keep it up, they'll get there in the end... but nope, they just can't seem to inflate them.
I then explain how they're doing it all wrong, I take a balloon off of one of the participants and ask the balloon nicely to inflate... it does so :D
I then ask the others to try, and so everyone is now standing around talking to there balloons lol.
Still they won't inflate... I give the balloons a telling off and they behave and inflate.
I now ask everyone to try and pop there balloons... I demonstate with mine 'POP'... now it's there turn...
No matter what they do the balloons won't pop... they stamp on them, scratch and poke them with keys, squeeze them, but all to no avail.
I then say I recognise there problem and for one of them to chuck me there balloon 'SMASH' it hits the floor and shatters... 'Huh' they look puzzled.
Everyone now starts chucking there balloons 'CRASH, SMASH, CLANG, SCHWING,CLONK' they all hit the floor with a fud and shatter.
As everyone is gawping and laughing and just plain weirded out, I walk up to all the pieces and start rolling them all together... it forms a ball shape which gets bigger and bigger with each roll... until it's nw bigger than all the balloons combined, and ia of varying colours.
Go on try lifting it... no one can, but they can roll it.... so I get them to start rolling it to each other, and as it's rolling it keeps on growing and growing until it's so big it's as big as the specs...
I say 'oh... ive gotta run, thanks for your time... could you please pass me the balloon'... 'Balloon?' they look puzzled...
I walk up to the big ball and pop it... it pops into a bunch of deflated balloons which are returned to the bag.

There :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results