Help Me with a Show

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Hey guys
I know that some of you are pros and was wondering if you could help me with some things.
For a school project, I am holding a 1 hour long magic show, where I will perform.
I have a few tricks/ routines set but still have a few things missing and what not. I just want your opinion and what not.
Lemme just say that I did not create any of these tricks. Sorry if youre against it but my time limit is rather short and this was best at short notice.
So here is my show:

Introduce: blah blah blah. gags and what not
Sub-Introduce: Talks about self and what ever. during which I produce a cup of soda and a bottle or can of soda.
Tossed Out Deck: I will do John Archer's TOD.
Tragic Square: John Archer's Magic Square Routine. Not magical but still interesting
Collard: John Archer's take on Koran's Medallion. (Archer is the funniest mentalist i know, so i love his work)

This is around 25-30 minutes so far.

Intermission for 10 minutes:

Here I wanted to start off like Derren Brown did in his Something Wicked This way Comes show.

Needle Swallowing: I will do the most basic version. I wanted to do Razor Blades, but i cant find them where i live.
Mental Hammer: Glass object smashes with mental power.
Glass Swallowing: I pick up the broken glass pieces together and a eat a few.
Psychokinetic Touches: I will be doing Hair by Daniel Garcia. Which is just a variation.

This should be around 7-10 minutes
No idea from here on

I want to end with a manipulation sorta act, where it uses 2-3 fantasio products, ending with a card manipulation. But after this, I want to transit into a Close-up card routine, which ends everything. This might be too weak of a ending though. I wont be doing things such as pick a card, but rather just a long flowing routine where no patter is needed. I wanted to end with a cheesy line or soemthing like "now i want to show you what got me started... blah blah blah inspiration... blah blah..... all that stuff".

Just as a side note. I dont have pets, Dont have illusions, Dont have assistants, Dont have a lot of gadgetry.

So what do you guys think I should do from there on?
Thanks

-Leis

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
if it fit your routine
Angle Zero d+M
Psychonetic touches by banacheck (cant remember how to write it sorry)
tagged could be fun
some book test
blabla

and thread could flow nicely with your dangerous thing swalloing :p

BMC

Oct 25, 2008
Bucharest, Romania
Some backpalming, card productions, split fans productions. Check the Dan Sperry videos here at Theory11 for some basic things and maybe (i really hope) for a new video tonight. So you won't need close-up magic. And of course, as louis said do Thread but try to combine it with Gipsy Thread :) Great effects together!

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Thank you both for your help
but
i dont think Angle Zero would work that well as its too small scale.
I was planning to do Psychokinetic touches, just forgot to put that. Thanks for reminding me
I dont really wanna do tagged as its more of a street kinda thing
Book tests work but seem a little too stoogey for some audience
And BMC. I said I was doing card manipulation which Dan Sperry teaches. I got most of it down. I wont be going total 100% with it as my hands are small so maybe just some split fans and singles and thats it. haha

And I cant do thread. Somehow, it doesnt work for me. I cant even do the setup and the sleight version is not visual enough for me.
Thanks anyways

keep em comin lol

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
dont exactly know what a tamed spades routine is.
but do you have like an over head camera showing what you are doing. Or do you do each move then show a card, then so on?

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I think your last section, after the break, you need to string out longer. Make a big thing of it. If you try to rush this (at the moment, you're giving each thing roughly 2 minutes) then it seems like a throwaway stunt and it won't leave an impression. Derren Brown's nail in nose in SWTWC lasts nearly 5 minutes and he really makes a thing of it. I would strongly recommend you do the same.
Also, I think you pass the point of no return after the interval. You start off with some darker effects (stunts like the needle swallowing and mental effects like mental hammer) and I think if you then just take it back to the lighter side, perform some more card stuff etc. you'll spoil the whole atmosphere. Before the interval, warn them that the fun ends and you're trying more dangerous stuff after the break. This will start a sense of excitement. After you've done your stunts, start with mentalism but make it really dark. Really build an atmosphere and end with something very powerful, like a prediction. Play it big. Really make them feel that they might actually be seeing magic here. Knock 'em dead.
This would be my advice. Ignore it or follow it; I think it will work a wonder if you pull it off properly.

Hey guys
I know that some of you are pros and was wondering if you could help me with some things.
For a school project, I am holding a 1 hour long magic show, where I will perform.
I have a few tricks/ routines set but still have a few things missing and what not. I just want your opinion and what not.
Lemme just say that I did not create any of these tricks. Sorry if youre against it but my time limit is rather short and this was best at short notice.
So here is my show:

Introduce: blah blah blah. gags and what not
Sub-Introduce: Talks about self and what ever. during which I produce a cup of soda and a bottle or can of soda.
Tossed Out Deck: I will do John Archer's TOD.
Tragic Square: John Archer's Magic Square Routine. Not magical but still interesting
Collard: John Archer's take on Koran's Medallion. (Archer is the funniest mentalist i know, so i love his work)

This is around 25-30 minutes so far.

Intermission for 10 minutes:

Here I wanted to start off like Derren Brown did in his Something Wicked This way Comes show.

Needle Swallowing: I will do the most basic version. I wanted to do Razor Blades, but i cant find them where i live.
Mental Hammer: Glass object smashes with mental power.
Glass Swallowing: I pick up the broken glass pieces together and a eat a few.
Psychokinetic Touches: I will be doing Hair by Daniel Garcia. Which is just a variation.

This should be around 7-10 minutes
No idea from here on

I want to end with a manipulation sorta act, where it uses 2-3 fantasio products, ending with a card manipulation. But after this, I want to transit into a Close-up card routine, which ends everything. This might be too weak of a ending though. I wont be doing things such as pick a card, but rather just a long flowing routine where no patter is needed. I wanted to end with a cheesy line or soemthing like "now i want to show you what got me started... blah blah blah inspiration... blah blah..... all that stuff".

Just as a side note. I dont have pets, Dont have illusions, Dont have assistants, Dont have a lot of gadgetry.

So what do you guys think I should do from there on?
Thanks

-Leis

You need a closer and or a proper grand illsuion. Try Ghost House by Mark Willson. The props are easy enough to make.

A Strait Jacket or restraint escape would be great!

Fire Effects, Poi, Staff, Swords, Whips, or Swallowing/Blowing are great too if you are allowed to do them.

Group Hypnosis is a wonderful gag too. One of the great Carnival Sidewhow workers on the east coast (name escapes me) has a wonderful Hypnosis bit in his act. He stooges 4 people from the audience, and promises them 100$ if they just co-operate with the show. He has them do all the usual hypnosis schticks: Act like a dog, use your shoe as a telephone, be a cat, etc. When he's done his blow off is: "And when I count to three you will wake up, remember everything, AND you will believe that I promised you 100$ for doing this today. One, two three!" The audience howls with laughter.

Also go look up Mavin's rainbow work. I want to say in the Violet book there is a KILLER invisable deck routine that I highly recomend. He's published under Phil Goldstiene.

Note on Glass Eating: I would rather you NOT do this unless you've been shown what to do and have had lots of experience doing it in practice. If this is an effect that you've read about from a book or a video and are considering trying it.... don't.

Side Note on Glass Eating and Performing: Your show should have a theme or some kind of message you want the audience to walk away with. You are doing a lot of illusions and traditional magic/mentalism as is. The message may be "Hey look at what cool stuff I can do!" or "I'm weirder than you think." But at the end of the day you should have clearly defined your character, and your message. For the same reason why you decided to stay away from tagged as it is "too street" You want to make sure everything in your act plays into the bigger picture. Glass Eating is a sideshow stunt, or Geek effect. It isn't magical, and it deffinately isn't an illusion. If you were doing other sideshow stuff then you may have given enough premise to do this. As is: Just doing an effect because it looks cool doesn't always mean it fits the image you're going for. Frankly there are a lot of womens dresses that I like the fashion of or colour pattern....but that doesn't mean I would look good in one.

A completely left field and after thought side note:
Write out your entire performance as a script. Include, what you say, actions, hand guestures, and WHERE you are looking as you do your things. Then practice the script. Sounds stupid.... but the results are worth it.

Just food for thought.

Book tests work. And not always do they rely on a stooge. But trust me.... even those that do are worth it.

I'll reply if I think of anything else

First and foremost, I'm a little concerned how you blow off the most important part of the show. The introduction. That sets the mood for the rest of the show, and helps get the audience on your side. If you get them to like you, that's half the battle and the show will go GREAT!

Put some more thought into that, otherwise you'll find out how fast things can go bad.

Best. :)
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys

Fewer of us than you think, as some of the answers you're getting have proven.

I would not end with a card manipulation act. It's anti-climactic. If you absolutely must use cards, a better transition after all that mentalism would be a variant on the Malini card stab routine. The original routine is taught in Malini and His Magic, which you can get at Lybrary.com. There is also a volume of World's Greatest Magic from L&L that focuses on different variants of the card stab.

I'll echo Steve and say that your intro sounds pretty weak. Jazz it up.

Nov 30, 2007
Like Steve and Steerpike said your introduction is huge! Focus on that almost more than anything.

Aug 11, 2008
Again, on the introduction, you really need to focus on that part because that is what gets them really interested. Do something that will instantly get their attention and will make them notice you. Use some flash paper, or something with fire or even an appearing wand.
But you really need to master your introduction.

It sould seem your show is about mentalism and mind over matter. the show sounds good for what it is. So why do Manipulations? It is like watching max maven doing the greatest mentalism routine ever and then at the end produce a sleeve bouquet.

WHat I would do is mix around the second half of the show and turn it into a seance. you can still do mental hammer and what not just change around the themeing.

Which brings me to the second point, what is your personality or character?
Are you fun, are you mysterious describe it.
Also I would use an MC to introduce you too the audience then you come back in and give a brief description about yourself and start with the mentalism.
Just my 2cents and it didn't cost you anything.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I think your last section, after the break, you need to string out longer. Make a big thing of it. If you try to rush this (at the moment, you're giving each thing roughly 2 minutes) then it seems like a throwaway stunt and it won't leave an impression. Derren Brown's nail in nose in SWTWC lasts nearly 5 minutes and he really makes a thing of it. I would strongly recommend you do the same.
Also, I think you pass the point of no return after the interval. You start off with some darker effects (stunts like the needle swallowing and mental effects like mental hammer) and I think if you then just take it back to the lighter side, perform some more card stuff etc. you'll spoil the whole atmosphere. Before the interval, warn them that the fun ends and you're trying more dangerous stuff after the break. This will start a sense of excitement. After you've done your stunts, start with mentalism but make it really dark. Really build an atmosphere and end with something very powerful, like a prediction. Play it big. Really make them feel that they might actually be seeing magic here. Knock 'em dead.
This would be my advice. Ignore it or follow it; I think it will work a wonder if you pull it off properly.

yea
i wanted to do that
but
i dont really have the right material for it.
like what routine or trick could i do to keep the darkness flowing haha

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Note on Glass Eating: I would rather you NOT do this unless you've been shown what to do and have had lots of experience doing it in practice. If this is an effect that you've read about from a book or a video and are considering trying it.... don't.

Theres no harm in the glass eating as im doing the cheaters way which is technically 100% safe unless you go rolling in the glass. And im not making a big thing out of it. Itll just be a side thing where its off beat and ppl go "whatd he just do?"

as i said before, i dont really do illusions.

thanks though

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
alright just to answer you guys at once

the introduction is kinda weak i guess. lemme explain in more detail
MC introduces me. i walk on stage, introduces myself and the point of the performance. jokes are scattered through here. I then use a bit from a guy from Flicking Fingers the Movie. Im not sure of his name though. He talks about psychology while creating offbeat little effects sort of things, which lead onto producing a glass of liquid (splash bottle) and a can of liquid from his shoe.

This takes approxamately 4 minutes.

As for the rest of the show, could you guys suggest some effects to perform? Cause I really cant think of any more darker and mentalism sort of effects right now.

For my personality... its rather mixed... really depends.... but mainly im.... dunno how to describe it. I dont take things seriously, ever. But dont seem to smile a lot either... and usually people think im mean... cause I joke a lot... dunno what you call that.

show stuff

David Regal has an excellent cups and balls routine that can be done as an "encore" close up ending if you so choose, look it up, its a nice simple routine, not lame in any sort of the word, can be kind of comical, and at the same time have room to add patter to tug on heart strings...I'd really recommend looking into that...

Steinmeyer has a nice basic needle swallowing routine with the magnet on the bottle, its in his device and illusion book I believe...

-When is this show? the third 1 on 1 of the manipulation vidos I'm doing with T11 is actually a routine with some gimmicks and whatnot that you can incorporate into a routine with the fantasion products, etc...it'll be a nice basic manip routine that you can use as a foundation and build from...just a thought...

-You may want to do some more audience participation up on stage with you, this can create a very entertaining and comedic set up in some cases depending on what you do, for example jumbo invisible deck - just as an example - it kills lots of time and can be a great segway routine for you into a more serious and forward routine, ie jumbo invisible deck into something like jumbo dream vision - again just an example I'm pulling out of my ass but you get the idea...

Since you said you were going to do some PK touches and glass breaking, try combining these routines into one big routine - begin with PK touches, talk about mentalism, telepathy, etc etc yada yada, and use the PK touches to seg into the breaking glass using the spectator to verify that its a real glass, lightbulb, whatever you're using, and then use them to help you concentrate on the object to "make a connection" or whatever, really build it up, and it can turn into something really powerful.

just some random thoughts...good luck with it!

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
cool... sperry answered.... sweetas...
My show is actually going to be next friday... so pretty fast....
Ill look into Regal's Cups n Balls and see what happens.
I find the linking the mentalism/PK thing as a good idea, but i want a big finish to the "section". I was planning to do needle swallowing leading up to pain and all that. introducing mental strength and how it can be a physical mental strength, going to a exploding bottle, which i then eat the glass, then trying to build a "connection" between audience members which proves whether others have a good mental strength. But i'm not sure if thats enough for the whole PK thing and wondering if there should be a bigger close to the section.

thanks guys

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
thanks clive.
D Stone is one of my favorite performers.
But I dont think his material will work for me this time.
I am using the same gimmick for the bottle production though
thanks anyways

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results