Split Spades

Jun 27, 2008
Illinois
Hey guys I just got my first three split spades decks today (congrats to me right) and I just had a few things I would like to ask you guys out of curiosity because this is a deck unlike any other for more reasons than quality.

1. Is there more than one edition of split spades? I saw that my decks all have 1st Edition printed on the bottom and I just wondered if I should leave one deck unopened because of rarity.

2. Is there any significance of the order of the cards in an unshuffled deck? My decks are not in the typical order right out of the box and I was just wondering why.

3. Finally where can I find a list of who the court cards are supposed to resemble? I would think there would be a list somewhere on the internet.

When I opened the box and had a look and did some false cuts I thought to myself "I am in love".

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Hey guys I just got my first three split spades decks today (congrats to me right) and I just had a few things I would like to ask you guys out of curiosity because this is a deck unlike any other for more reasons than quality.

1. Is there more than one edition of split spades? I saw that my decks all have 1st Edition printed on the bottom and I just wondered if I should leave one deck unopened because of rarity.

2. Is there any significance of the order of the cards in an unshuffled deck? My decks are not in the typical order right out of the box and I was just wondering why.

3. Finally where can I find a list of who the court cards are supposed to resemble? I would think there would be a list somewhere on the internet.

When I opened the box and had a look and did some false cuts I thought to myself "I am in love".

1: As far as I know, there's only one edition.

2: I seem to remember it's some sort of stack. I can't remember which though sorry. It's been posted somewhere in these forums before, though.

3: I don't remember. Again, it has been posted in the forums before.

Sorry for the rather unhelpful answers, it's the best I can give at the moment and I figured it would be better than nothing. Do a little research, the answers shouldn't be too hard to find.

Apr 28, 2008
1) There was an edition of Split spades printed on Tally Ho stock by Ellusionist, then the Lions printed by T11, I assume you have the first edition of the Lions, they've been out for quite a long time now so if they're still on the first edition I would assume that means tens of thousands of them have been printed, so I would say a first edition has no value.

2) I believe some of the Split spades come in the Mnemonica stack, more information about this stack can be found in the Mnemonica book by Juan Tamariz.

3) I really can't remember who they are, I seem to remember that the King of Spades was David Blaine. Just type Split spades into the search bar and you'll probably find a discussion about this.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
David Blaine Split Spades Lions 1st Edition:

Red - United States New Deck order (i think, I'm not at home so I can't check)

Blue - Mnemonica Stack

Black - Mexican New Deck Order (this is so you can use the proper shuffles to get into the Mnemonica Stack)

-Calvin

Jul 7, 2008
ok the um the king of spades is david
the jack of diamonds is dan white
and the jack of spades is houdini
thats all the ones i can figure out

Jun 19, 2008
brown box
yeah. i got 2 decks for christmas. they are awesome! someone also said one of the faces is brad christian but i doubt it. i dont hate him though.lol

Jan 13, 2008
I believe that the Queen of Spades is D. Blaine's wife.
Queen of Hearts, actually.

But yeah, who all of the court cards are is listed on the FAQ on David Blaine's very own website. I suggest you go ahead and check that out.

And the rest of the questions have already been answered fully. Yay, another set of questions down!

Also, just to note, this may have been better served in the Product Questions forum, because this is a question about a product. :)

Doug McKenzie

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
www.nycmagician.com
So much misinformation:
Split Spades were never printed by Ellusionist or T11. They are designed and brought to market purely in house by db and the team. We have had three different runs of decks, but the SS for sale now have a different back design and card stock than the other runs we printed before. That's why they are first edition. The decks come in 2 different arrangements. The blue deck comes in Tamariz's Mnemonica Stack, and the other colors (red and black) come in Spanish New Deck Order, which is the prearranged order than can be used to shuffle into Mnemoinca Stack.

As for the court cards, DB does not have a wife. The Queen of Hearts is his mother, the Spades is Lonneke Engel (a close friend), and the clubs is our producer Denise. The King of Spades is Davd, Hearts is Bill Kalush, Clubs is his friend from HS named Lou. As for the Jacks, Hearts is Mark Stutzman (who drew the deck), Spades is his brother, Diamonds is Dan White, and Clubs is myself. Hope that clears up everything

D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results