Original Trick : Konceptual-X

Dec 20, 2008
One card emerges from the deck box.

Konceptual-X is a group of enthusiastic young individuals who strive to promote the art of magic and to serve the magic community. We proudly present our new effect eMerge. This effect, created by Hugh Low, has been extensively developed and utilized; using its visual and straightforward characteristics to blow audiences away.

This is one of the many tricks created, feel free to view and comment, thanks. (We may be submitting this to theory 11 if there are many views, the more the merrier)

eMerge by Hugh Low link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7E8nAyUZ4M

eMerge is a device, an art, with endless applications, it is the next category of magic: the first ever visual card emerge. One single card, with a crimp (done by spectator) and signature emerges from the deck box. The deck box is further sealed with a rubber band to eliminate all the possibility of the card escaping. Appear and disappear cards. Penetration and transposition come along well.

>Visual
>Powerful
>Magic

One box, One band, One miracle, eMerge

Will post a Theory11 media section link soon.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
ehh...I'm not impressed. It sounds like a good idea, but the preview video leaves something to be desiered. It is not clear at all, the camera seems out of focus the entire time and for some reason I hated the fact that you used Dana Hocking's music for it.

That aside the handling seems a little sketchy. What's the crimp for? Why must you rubber band the deck? If you could really do this, wouldn't you just put their card in the middle of the deck, place it in the box and per some magical gesture their card has 'emerged' from the deck and the box. It's not open enough for me, too many unnessisary moves.

The whole thing just seems a little thrown together from the trick to the preview. Sorry man, everything about this just screams unprofessional, and impractical. Keep working on it, and maybe re-shoot the preview video in a way that distracts from the trick a little less. You're selling a trick, not 30 seconds of useless shots containing a deck, a box and a sharpie.

Jan 13, 2008
Keeping my personal views of this trick to myself, I'd just like to point out that by posting this video on the forums you're actually hurting your chances of having it picked up by Theory11, or any company that would know you posted here.

I can't remember if it was here or at E, but it's been said by some of the top people at one of the companies that by posting your trick on a forum you are all but eliminating your chances of having them market your effect. The companies like exclusive effects that nobody knows about yet--and they like to be able to put their own marketing swing on it without having that angle already somewhat decided for them.

All in all, if you decide to release it to the masses, I sure hope you're producing it in-house, because your chances of having it picked up by a company like T11 (or even some of the smaller companies) is mighty slim.

Anyway, good luck with the effect.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Does Dana know that you're using his music? Because I seem to remember that he said that he didn't want it used on any commercial trailers.
Also, I didn't really like it. It just seems like every other 'latest visual magic trick' these days. You say 'unlimited applications', can you give us a few examples? What makes this trick special from the thousands of other latest releases? Sorry if I sound harsh, but I don't think you've thought this through very thoroughly.

Jan 1, 2009
ok

well i guess, erm, the rubber band and crimp looks like various of those er, x-factors to me. yea, it looks that way to me, i think it makes the trick more impossible due to the fact of the fold and the rubber band. Would really want to see a signed version of this one, it will clear all my doubts if i see a signed one pop.
Overall, I like it.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Without trying to be too brutal...

When showcasing a new trick you came up with, here's what not to do:

1) Don't try and use any special video effects, such as old film or sepia. There's no reason for it, and may detract from the effect.

2) Don't use music that every one else will probably use.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how a card box penetration is grungy and extreme enough to warrant video effects such as that and music from Thread/Control...

Nice trick, once you get past all the fluff in the video, though!

-ThrallMind

Dec 20, 2008
Hi, there thanks for all ya critism and compliments, we will work on that real fast, about the rubberband and crimp,well. The rubberband is used to further seal the deck, and the crimp is used for identification for after the performance
use. We will futher work on that,at the same time we are releasing another effect, check out for that. It is a card utility device. Cheers!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
To be perfectly honest, the video looked very amateur, and it doesn't really do justice to the effect - then again I don't think the effect has been developed long enough or is good enough to be sold.

Dec 20, 2008
For further clarification

Oh yea by the way, since you have many question we would clarify them. We really hope that more people will view this thread and post.

1) Crimp/Rubber band
Oh, regarding that, as above-mentioned, its used as an identification device, and ya, PeterJackson was dead on, its to add on the impossibility factor. Another thing is to spice up the performance value, if not the performance and the trick itself would be far too fast and too visual in a sense. The trick would be so fast that it would be over before it started. We want to build up suspense, then hit the audience hard, because they don't know what we are going to do.

2) Posting on forums
Hmmm, oh we just want people to view this effect, give your sincere comments, we really don't mind extremely negative comments, shoot us all so that we can improve, and we would use criticism as our building block to further enhance our effect, our handling and performance factor. Now we know what all of the people in the magic community look out for, like for exmaple not putting too much video effects in the trick as it will distract audience. Its for improvement. We really welcome all honest comments, serious, be it negative or positive; we would like to improve ourselves in the art of magic.

3) Usage of Dana's music w/o his permission
Oh, this has an answer. During one of the daily updates, I believe its the one on Dana day, Dana/Wayne states that the music can be used for youtube videos, or any magic videos, so long as it is not for commercial purposes. Konceptual-X is not a company, nor do we have a website for any effects yet. However, if a website would be created, we promise that we would take this video down and change the music. We just want the magic community to give us honest comments for improvement, the trick or the video editing. So far, we have very constructive comments.

Yup, thats all, I hope more people would give us their sincere comments. Remember, we are not insulted by negative comments, just shoot whatever thats on your mind, thats what a forum is for

Apr 27, 2008
I wont sugarcoat this since it's a new effect and I want it to get better.

Video sucked to be absolutely honest with you. Didn't know what was going on and thought you were producing a seizure inducing video there with so much nonsense. Sounds harsh but don't make it fancy just show the name of the effect, and a better angle of the trick.

Effect was pretty cool, Peter Eggink has something like this, but you said that it can be used for other applications also so that's neat.

Basically make a new video and like it was said before you never want to post a vid of a trick online since it lessens the value of it. Just my two cents and remember no sugarcoating from me.

Can't believe nobody has said this, but the box goes out of the shot everytime the card appears, it either goes under a table or out of the frame completely.
Something about that says it's really not performable, unless you're using a table, in which case it just looks too fishy.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's definitely something to work on.

Dec 20, 2008
Hi, there again. Clearing some doubts here. Video has nothing to do with the table and the deck box can be handed out immediately for inspection. Thanks for ya comments! P.S( Will be posting for another trick called Xtricate real soon.) Still improving on this effect..

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If I may, how long has this effect been in development? If you're still improving it as you say, I don't think it should be even considered for release... There's lots of bad stuff on the market, cheap stuff, quick and easy stuff, rip-off stuff, half-baked stuff, thrown out there stuff, etc. And the biggest problem is when something isn't crap per se - but it hasn't been worked on enough. Not tested, not performed, not experimented, not changed, not developed.

Dec 20, 2008
Thanks for your advice mate! we will work on that, sorry, just that this effect needs its final touches, we already have one well accomplished trick that will not,i promise will not disapoint you guys,will be uploading later.

Dec 20, 2008
We dun mind, serious

Oh yea btw, we are serious about improving so we take any harsh comments and embrace it, dun feel shy about criticising, serious!

Oh also to clear things, the effect can be performed live without tables. We have a video of it live, but we decided not to use it as it is not very clear, and that we have since improved on the previous handling, so it would be better if we post one with the new handling.

On the video editing, ok, will try to lessen the random sharpie:rubberband;deckbox shots and concentrate more on the trick itself. Thanks for that btw.

Er, moving on, err, oh ya, yea we agree its in the midst of improving, btw its up and running for lemme see, since last october, so its 3 months in the making. We just wanted more comments to improve from the public.

We have many upcoming effects and I hope you will like it. Promise we will put extra hard work into the eMerge and improve everything in it. Hope you guys shoot more comments/stuff to work on!

Oh, and I am not sure if Hugh wants to post Xtricate today..

Nov 8, 2007
eMerge is a device, an art, with endless applications, it is the next category of magic: the first ever visual card emerge. One single card, with a crimp (done by spectator) and signature emerges from the deck box. The deck box is further sealed with a rubber band to eliminate all the possibility of the card escaping. Appear and disappear cards. Penetration and transposition come along well.

>Visual
>Powerful
>Magic

One box, One band, One miracle, eMerge

I applaud you for your efforts, however, I think if you want to start off on the right foot with presenting your magic to the magic community there are a few things you may want to consider.

- Don't describe your effect in hyperbole like you did above. It's a turn-off. Serious magicians are sick to death of the hyped up crap coming out these days. Stuff like: "Emerge is a device, an art, with endless applications, it is the next category of magic: the first ever visual card emerge" serves no purpose in presenting your effect other than low-brow marketing.

- Present your effect in a simple way. Just like your over-the-top advertisement style was a good Ellusionist marketing impression, also try to refrain from your videos becoming good Dana Hocking/Theory 11 impressions. Just show the effect. You don't need so many bells and whistles.

In short, be a little more humble with what you're presenting. Flashy videos and big claims from some unknown kids are going to turn off a lot of people. And if you have what you feel is a good effect on your hands, there's no reason to start off on the wrong foot.

Good luck with your effect.

Happy Magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results