Question about cardistry

Jul 19, 2008
Before I pose this question, I would like to say I personally think cardistry is awesome and can be a great addition to a magic act.

But my question is this. Why do cardistry alone? Besides for personal pleasure, why do cardistry for people in public. Many spectators would much rather see magic than someone twirling cards.

Ben

Some people find magic tricks silly, while they appreciate the dexterity and skill shown in cardistry, I don't really "perform" cardistry, I more just walk around with cards and practice and people observe :p I have a few friends that give awesome reactions to flourishing, like utter amazment, while they go "oh yay a card trick" to magic, then there are people that are the opposite :)

Apr 27, 2008
I have a variety of different obsessions including cardistry, hypnosis, and mentalism. I do cardistry for myself because it looks so dam cool when you are "twirling" cards and making very organic images with them. Maybe people don't want to see it but then again do people want to see you poop? Same thing it's something you like to do and feels good on occasion but it's for your own personal gain. Just remember that if it deals with entertainment it's not always for other people.

And yes I made a poop joke.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Incidentally, I just wanted to put down a recent thought I had. Some people criticise cardistry/XCM for being "magical masturbation".

...What's wrong with masturbation - or pleasure, for that matter? If you like it, you like it, and that's no reason to criticise someone for liking it.

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well basically it's fun and entertaining. Like playing amusical instrument. Sure, you may not go anywhere with it but the satisfaction you get from achieving something is great and it's what life is all about - being happy. Also, people appreciate a show of skill. It shows that someone put the time and practice into perfecting the moves and is displaying his spent time.

Cheers,
Shanku

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 24, 2008
Greece
because listening to music when doing some flourishes is like masturbation (as others said). It just feels good. And when i perform cardistry and enjoy it people like it too.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
Many spectators would much rather see magic than someone twirling cards.

Try to understand it's not ALL about the spectators.
You don't play football to please a spectator.
You don't play soccer to please a spectator.
You don't play basketball to please a spectator.
You don't flourish to please a spectator.

You do these things because you enjoy them!

What do you guys not understand about personal enjoyment?!
It's not always about the spectator when it comes to flouishing.
You guys make it seem like your whole world revolves around spectators.

Well, I hate to break it to ya, but....

IT DOESN'T

Jul 19, 2008
Mr.J, that comment seems like it really came out of your a**. While everyone is answering my question with honesty and composure, you come out with that little remark. I already said that I appreciate cardistry and I am learning a bit of it. Act your age....or at least 10 years closer to your age than how you are acting right now...

EugeneSoh, I understand, but magic or cardistry for that matter is a performance art that is made to be performed. I do agree that there are certain "pleasures" that we can indulge in such as cardistry, however doing only cardistry can at times be boring for spectators, however some types including Jeff McBride's whole card throwing act is astonishing.

Ben

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I'll have to agree with Eugene. Some flourishers couldn't care less about spectators, and simply flourish for their own personal entertainment. Flourishing can be considered a performing artform, but it is also a hobby. And not all hobbies are meant to be performed to an audience.

To further develop Eugene's analogies, I will add some of my own:

You don't play video games to please a spectator
You play video games because it's your hobby

You don't skateboard to please a spectator
You skateboard because it's your hobby
Sometimes you will skateboard for an audience, but the majority of the time is because you find it fun

You don't flourish to please a spectator
You flourish because it's your hobby
Sometimes you will flourish for an audience, but the majority of the time is because you find it fun

But my question is this. Why do cardistry alone?
Because we're alone and we find it fun. You don't always need spectators to practice this art :)

-Garry

Jan 5, 2009
I find that people who use their hands frequently (example: my piano teacher) enjoy the cardistry because they understand the skill, time and patience that must go into cardistry and that people that are your average spectator prefer the tricks.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
Magic can also be boring sometimes......it depends on the spectators.

A couple of days ago i went with some friends of mine at cafeteria and a footbal game was on TV . Everyone was watching the game ,including my friends, and i got bored (cause i hate footbal) , so i took my deck of cards ,switched on my ipod nad started flourishing ..... A few minutes later all eyes were on me , suddenly everyone forgot about the game and were just watching me do flourishes.......when we were about to leave the owner asked me to do some more flourishing .............. My point is that u cant be sure if the spectators will be bored or not

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results