23:23 by Dee Christopher

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
23:23 BY DEE CHRISTOPHER

Description: A collection of 6 mentalism effects and a mixture of original and variant concepts.

Review: With 23:23, Dee Christopher again proves himself to be a fantastic thinker and creator in magic. Here, he provides us with some excellent thinking, some original and some variations on existing, much loved mentalism effects and principles.

The ebook, interestingly (I'm not even sure if Dee has noticed this) is exactly 23 pages long. I literally just noticed this, as I have the ebook open for reference. Everything is laid out well and also explained well by Dee, although a few spelling and grammatical errors are sprinkled throughout. Despite this, nobody should have any problems following along with the methods taught. Also, one other minor quibble. In some effects Dee states the required use of a certain sleight or utility, but gives no source as to where they can be learned... luckily, I was already was well-acquainted with these techniques, as should you be. However, for the sake of completeness, it would have been nice.

Now, on with what I'm sure you've all been patiently waiting to hear about... The effects! I will briefly summarize each and provide some thoughts, as well as a rating out of 10 for each.

Sylla-Code: In this effect, a two-person coding system), one of two magicians is able to impossibly divine a freely chosen ESP symbol while his back is turned! The code is BRILLIANT. Very simply, little meorization require, and completely discreet. Spectators will have no chance. Since I am one of two magicians at my school, the other magician (a good friend of mine) and I will DEFINITELY be using this on a regular... we've used past coding systems with amazing success, and this one is just as powerful. 10/10

Morse: This is along the same lines as Syllacode, however, using instant stooging. It does not use coding, yet two random spectators are able to take part in a stunning mentalism effect, one in which the first spectator impossibly divines a symbol randomly selected by the second spectator from a list of the ESP symbols. Again, this is a brilliant idea. Even people who are afraid of instant stooging may be willing to give this one a shot, it's constructed in such a way that you will barely run the risk of having the effect ruined. More of a performance piece... again, great thinking! 8/10

Svengali Toss Remastered: This is Dee's version of David Hoy's Tossed Out Deck, with a clever variation on the method as well. It's a gutsy one, but certainly well worth it. You will need a simple gaffed deck, but its likely one you have already. 8/10

Altered: This is a powerful coin bend that happens in the spectators clenched fist... the genuinely feel the coin wiggling in their hand!!! I have reviewed this seperately, in full at the following link: http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=11553&highlight=Altered+Christopher

Shift: This is an incredible signed card transportation, where a signed card vanishes and INSTANTLY appears very fairly in the magician's breast pocket. There is no palming involved either, and the method is beautifully clever... very magical and impossible, great creative thinking behind it... you will require a simple gaff, but you likely already have it and if not, it can be easily made yourself. 9/10

Turnover 23: A great version of Bro. John Hamman's "The Signed Card". Again, very creative in method, unfortunately it too relies on a gimmick. However, I like it a fair bit. I cannot see myself using it unfortunately. 7/10

Overall, 23:23 is a great collection of effects and ideas in mentalism. Some deviously clever intimate effects, some great performance pieces. I definitely recommend 23:23 by Dee Christopher.

I hope my short review was of some help. 23:23 can be purchased at www.deechristophermagic.com

Michael Kras

Nov 30, 2007
I will now perform a great mentalism feat.

I predict that Dee Christopher will post in this thread.

Wait and see...

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I cant buy anymore of Dee's effects the simplicity and genius of the methods make me want to cry in the corner, because I couldn't think of them. I really love his tricks.

-Michael

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Lol, The clue's in the name, however, there's also a cool idea for using something a little different in that section - hence the 'remastered' bit.

It allows for a cassandra deck/ tossed out tech style honing in on DIFFERENT cards the spectators are looking at :)

D.

D

Deleted member 2755

Stop writing reviews everyone so I can get mine up here.:mad: Grrr..... for my past 3 reviews, someone has always just beat me to the punch minutes before I just started typing my own! Control had a review before mine, Universal Impression, and now 23:23. Oh well... review within the next few days.:p I'll just say though that this book has its ups and downs, but I like the material inside it. The coin bend is awesome.

-Doug

Sep 25, 2008
I was disapointed in this purchase somewhat... The only trick i will use is Altered which is pretty good... 8 out of 10 nice routine...
I was looking foward to the coin bend but i dont have the certain gimmick you need to do it... Really wish i was informed that a certain gimmick is required for the coin trick
And the first trick Sylla-code is not repeatable because i think they would catch on rather quick.. Awsome thinking behind the coin bend though i must say

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I'll PM you regarding sylla-code pokerlife, it's designed in such a way that you could easily repeat as the code aren't actually the words. ;)

I'd never recommend repeating the effect twice with the same presentation however, hence me including morse and recommending the use of that as a 2nd phase to the effect.

Glad you liked the coin bend, you should be able to pick the stuff required up pretty easily, I'll post you a link - Naturally I couldn't write in the ad copy what gimmick was used as then people would probably be able to imitate the effect!:p

It'd be cool to hear how it goes with Altered, it's really good fun to perform!

Cheers,

D.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Sorry to re-open an old thread, but I didn't think this deserved a new thread - 23:23 owners listen up though!!!

A great idea just came to me for use with Syllacode, a variation on the Morse routine. Instead of using the technique taught to give the spectator the info required (Being vague so as not to tip the method!;)) try using Paolo Cavelli's ATHOS - it's a great tool and script from an underground MASTER of mentalism.

You can get it at www.Titanasmagic.com if you haven't already!

Cheers Bludgins,

D.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results