Please Recommend

Nov 25, 2008
I am really interested in mentalism and am planning to buy the following books:
13 steps to mentalism
practical mental magic by annemann
chuck hickok mentalism incorporated
Theatre of the mind by barrie richardson

Which ones should i buy?I am totally new to mentalism.

Jan 4, 2008
13 steps is a must, and anything by Anneman is great to start with.

After you have read those, I suggest getting:

Mind Myth and Magick by T.A. Waters
PRISM by Max Maven

I began with these books years ago, and I am glad that I did.

Great mentalists to learn material from:

Bob Cassidy
Banachek
Marc Spelmann
Luke Jermay
Darren Brown
etc.etc.

There's a large amount of material out there. Have fun, and good luck!

Gerald

I am really interested in mentalism and am planning to buy the following books:
13 steps to mentalism
practical mental magic by annemann
chuck hickok mentalism incorporated
Theatre of the mind by barrie richardson

Which ones should i buy?I am totally new to mentalism.

If you're absolutely new to mentalism, you should definitely follow everyone's recommendation to get 13 Steps. It's a great book with a lot of awesome stuff. I'm a firm believer that a person can go from total amateur to polished professional just by studying this book alone. I would also recommend you take your time reading the work. Sit there and highlight the text. Take notes. Scribble in the margins. Get a separate notebook and write down your thoughts and ideas as you read through the material. Magic and mentalism are very unique crafts. If you plan on taking them seriously, they deserve to be studied just as you would study for an exam in school.

Others'll probably disagree with me on this next piece of advice, but I would tell you to pass on the other books for a while. They'd only cloud your focus on learning quality material found in Corinda's book. In my opinion, I'd devote a solid year to learning 13 Steps cover to cover. I had the book for years in my library and I never appreciated its wealth of information until I really sat down and read it with the attention it deserved.

Barrie Richardson and Banachek would be awesome follow-up resources once you have a good foundation in mentalism. You can build a solid, hour-long show using the material of these three gentlemen alone. I really wouldn't recommend TA Waters anytime soon though. His book is awesome, but I found it very focused on a specific type of bizarre performer. It would require a very mature, typically older and experienced person to develop the credibility required to pull off some of the material in Mind, Myth, and Magick. I've studied and performed mentalism for years, and I'm still not confident in what's offered in the book.

13 Steps is all you need right now. Seriously.

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results