Nail Polish?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Coming from an "older" guy..ha ha...I'm 30. I would say that I am against the whole black nail polish thing, but if it fits your street magic style than go ahead.

If you ever plan on doing corporate magic or events where the host would like you in a tux or shirt and die....um....it probably won't look very professional.

Just my two cents.

They're just labels. The gay thing with nail polish is because people naturaly tend to associate it with girls. That's all. I'm not gay myself but I have had some people think I was for the nail polish thing. I just think it's really ignorant to judge someone on something so small & stupid like "Nail Polish". But hell, I love everyone just the same. You could be gay, one legged, deaf in both ears, wearing nail polish, eye liner, a mohawk and missin one eye. I'll learn to say "What's up?" in sign language for the one good eye you got left, help you down the stairs and go chill with ya. But that's just me, not a lot tends to bother me lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Like everyone has said before do what you want. I really don't understand that whole nail polish and eye liner thing, for one it is intended for women and women only. I couldn't care less what people say otherwise because it is what it is but if you feel comfortable wearing womens products then go right ahead, I won't think you're gay but it looks silly and anybody who usually wears it I tend to avoid for the simple fact that people thinks it makes them look cool.

First off you can wear rainbow nail polish if you want to. You may get stares but it doesn't matter what other people think. It only matters what YOU think. Don't obsess over others opinions of you too much. Only in moderation.

With that being said I give the following performance advice:

If the character you present on stage while doing your magic warrents the use of nail polish to complete "the look" then by all means wear it! Black, blue, purple, neon plad, what ever you want. However be mindful of your character, even if you don't think of yourself as having one. You may not be playing a typical sterotype (such as Angel's rocker-goth) but you -are- a persona when you perform.

It wouldn't make much sense for you to be doing a 1920's fedora wearing gangster type persona and have black nail polish. It wouldn't fit. Use your best judgement.

Edit: I just read coastaldude's response and I had to add this in to my post. Makeup is not intended for "women and women only." I think that is an increadibly sexist statement to make. Makeup is for looking good, inhancing facial features, accenting and highlighting skin tone and colours of your hair, body, and clothing. When you are giving a show, trust me... you want to look good. Don't go overboard though, before you go out to buy a tube of lureal lip gloss make SURE it fits the character! Don't just needlessly wear makeup for no reason.

If you are a stage worker then I would recomend keeping some foundation, blush, and lipstick in your kit. The stage lights can really pale you out if your not careful. Double so for TV or Movie work/ appearances. If you do magic PERIOD then for god sakes keep your finger nails manicured(sp?) It's not just a girly thing. It is hygenic and for a close up worker ESSENTIAL.

If you look at my profile picture (yes that is me) You'll notice that I wear make up. That's because my character is a psudo goth presenting magic as if it is "dark" and "macabre". I use eye liner, a white foundation, red and black lipstick, red and black eye shadow. I complete my "look" with black painted nails often with blood sparkly red or saphire blue french nail tips. Contrasting against the pseudo-edwardian / goth victorian clothing it creates for an impressive profile.
[/edit]

Now, I live out in Hollywood so people around here are used to seeing far worse than guys with black nail polish. In middle America, things may be diffrent. Depending on where you live if you want to lessen your social exposure and shoot for a more conservative image wear your polish only when you perform.

In short: Do what ever you feel inhances your character, image, and performance and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
I think it's all about your personal opinion.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't care what anyone thinks. I wear it sometimes. It doesn't bother me if people stare, they can stare as much as they want.

Don't let people's opinions get the better of how you present yourself.

-Sam H

EDIT:
I tend to avoid for the simple fact that people thinks it makes them look cool.

Surely that's the same with any form of clothing?

Why do you buy a new jacket? Why do you wear that hat? Why buy a new pair of socks? What's up with that lipstick?
It makes you look (and feel) good [about yourself].

Why do you wear black nail varnish?

Same idea.

-Sam H

I sure as heck don't advise it. I mean, do what you want, but I think nail polish and makeup was made for women. I disagree with those who say that dressing that way is unique and non-conformist, but all the people that do that are almost all exactly the same. Saying "unique gothic/emo/alternative" is almost an oxymoron - the fact that there is even a group/label called that says it isn't different.....it's just another group. I'll stop now.

So, I don't reccommed it, but do what you want.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
What ever happened to just a watch? But if your are asking if it is ok to wear it as long as you don't mind the physical scrutiny from the guys and the ******** from the girls you will be just fine. Also sometimes that sequence is in reverse (not for me though). Seriously just do what you fell is right, except voting democrat.

-Michael

What ever happened to just a watch? But if your are asking if it is ok to wear it as long as you don't mind the physical scrutiny from the guys and the ******** from the girls you will be just fine. Also sometimes that sequence is in reverse (not for me though). Seriously just do what you fell is right, except voting democrat.

-Michael

Hahaha, lol.

Sep 1, 2007
I think the question to ask is if you are wanting to wear nail polish because it will add to your persona or are you wearing it simply because others are? I see many men wearing black nail polish these days. If you feel that it will enhance what you bring to the table then go for it, but don't do it just because others do. Sometimes it's better to go against the grain. For example maybe you want to wear nail polish, but it seems too trendy. Try painting only 1/2 of your nail (only the left side on your right fingers and right side on your left fingers) and see how it looks. You differentiate yourself and stand out from the others.

How is it this topic reached four effing pages? Serious? That's hilarious.

Listen, if you even have to question whether or not you should start wearing it, chances are you already know your answer. If you're the type who needs approval to look the way you want, I'd recommend steering clear of wearing nailpolish.

RS.

Look put it this way. Everyone should be allowed to wear and do what they wish but only if they are of age. I believe that in most, if not all, states the legal adult age is 18. Until then your parents can dictate your world. so bring this subject up with them and see how they feel about it. If they are okay then expiriment with it and see what type of looks you get. I myself dress as a sort of Rocker yet am one of the most popular people in school.

My parents don't let me paint my nails or wear spiky bracelets. However, I wear band shirts. (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith, Slipknot, Seether, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Sublime, etc.) I also wear jeans that are very long which become frayed at the end. I wear boots or black sneakers and have a long chain that is attached to my wallet and my belt loop. In addition I have long hair and wear a dead guys ring. (I'm not joking. The guy that used to own my house died and we found his engagement ring. Now, I wear it.)

Basically I communicate with my parents and they make the last call. But because I am so open to talking with them they realize that it is my thing and I like it. Talk to your parents and see what they feel about it. Explain why you want to do it. Have a good reason. Don't ask us for advice. Ask someone who knows you better than anyone and see what they think. Talk to your parents...

hahahahahahahaha i love this thread, best thread on T11 hands down! - and those are hands without nail polish.

Luke and I talked ONCE very briefly about our nail polish and tattoos since both of ours are visible. We basically said if they're gona hire us they do, if they don't they don't. We wear it, they're out there, that doesn't make us "cool" or "non-conformists". It is a personal choice based on our individual personalities. Would I wear a pink polo tshirt with the collar up? No. But I know guys that do and it fits them and I really don't care either way. Bottom line - which I think has been said so many times over these past 4 pages is this: be yourself. If it was part of who you really are you would more than likely be wearing it by now, if you are going through a kind of coming of age (doesn't matter what age) transforrmation and have to think about it then maybe don't do it. What makes a person who they are is their subconsious actions and reactions that come naturally often without even knowing it. Personally I've been wearing it since I was around 12/13. I used to be a serious bass player and played in bands where we painted our nails black in order to help us better see where our fingers were on the fret board in our perifial vision. That's honestly all it was. We left it on at school and whatnot as a sort of way of braggin that we were in a band - mainly because it's NOT cool to wear the tshirt of the band YOU'RE in...that's just lame. It was a kind of "badge of honor" so when other kids and people would say "what's that all about" it was a way for us to promote ourselves to say hey i'm in a band, we weaer it to practice yada yada come see a show of ours this weekend blah blah excuse me while I pop this zit and change the rubber bands in my braces.

so there's a bunch of nonsense and a long story made even longer of the history of my personal experience of it. It has just stuck ever since and has become a natural ritual like brushing my teeth or plucking my eyebrows is to just sit and watch TV or a movie and touch up the ol' nail polish. Just be yourself and the rest will come naturally. I'd almost recommend instead of wondering about nail polish buy a Jason England 1 on 1 :)

May 19, 2008
manchester
Look put it this way. Everyone should be allowed to wear and do what they wish but only if they are of age. I believe that in most, if not all, states the legal adult age is 18. Until then your parents can dictate your world. so bring this subject up with them and see how they feel about it. If they are okay then expiriment with it and see what type of looks you get. I myself dress as a sort of Rocker yet am one of the most popular people in school.

My parents don't let me paint my nails or wear spiky bracelets. However, I wear band shirts. (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns n' Roses, Aerosmith, Slipknot, Seether, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Sublime, etc.) I also wear jeans that are very long which become frayed at the end. I wear boots or black sneakers and have a long chain that is attached to my wallet and my belt loop. In addition I have long hair and wear a dead guys ring. (I'm not joking. The guy that used to own my house died and we found his engagement ring. Now, I wear it.)

Basically I communicate with my parents and they make the last call. But because I am so open to talking with them they realize that it is my thing and I like it. Talk to your parents and see what they feel about it. Explain why you want to do it. Have a good reason. Don't ask us for advice. Ask someone who knows you better than anyone and see what they think. Talk to your parents...

(I think) your completely wrong.
if I did what my parents said I wouldn't be me, I would be their puppet. if anyone wants to be a puppet then fine but don't say it works like that.

be yourself, if that means your parents don't like it then good for you.

oh well. put nail polish on if you want, we cant stop you.

Aug 7, 2008
(I think) your completely wrong.
if I did what my parents said I wouldn't be me, I would be their puppet. if anyone wants to be a puppet then fine but don't say it works like that.

be yourself, if that means your parents don't like it then good for you.

oh well. put nail polish on if you want, we cant stop you.

i second that. only to me personally though, to let you know, this does not apply to everyone on earth. If you have a good relationship with your parents, it may be easier to tell them and have them understand your decisions. Besides, they should respect what you want to do, its YOUR life afterall, as long as your not getting yourself into stuff thatll leave you with a record, you should at least WEAR what youd like. They dont have a leesh on you and control every movement. Now, if they are parents like mine (my dad actually), you'll get no where in life if you want to be yourself. like he said, i would be their(his) puppet, and guess what, i kind of am. Just wear it if you have parents that dont understand you, see what happens, i guess you can talk to them about it first, but they will not always understand and say something like * why arent you like everybody else? *. *sigh* But yeah, remember to always be yourself, its your life, no one can really change who you really are, but if your being a poser...i dont recommend wearing nail polish.

... *Tallys Votes* *Checks For Ballot Tampering* ... And the votes are in. Looks like you should just be yourself. Be who you wanna be, and love being yourself.

I'm Dan Rather, this has been "Nail Polish In Magic" on the Theory11 Forums.
Tune in tomarrow for "What Cards Should I Buy?" & "How Much Is That Joker In The Window?"
Goodnight

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results