Maybe you guys can help

Oct 1, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Hey guys, I've been here for a while (started cardistry/flourishing about 4 months ago) but this is my first post. I've relentlessly practiced the basic moves taught in some of these 1 on 1 vids such as the Charlier and thumb cuts, along with basic fanning and overall just getting used to the important mechanics. I bought quite a few 1 on 1's that interested me as well as both volumes of Dangerous.

Now for the question. I've moved into some of the easier flourishes from the 1 on 1's and Motion, sybil cuts/variations etc. In Motion, (for those of you that have seen it) Daniel Madison uses this one particular move (also in Jason Soll's C M C cut tutorial in the second variation) in quite a few flourishes. Notably at the end of some of them. It's a two packet cut where the top packet has a 180 revolution and ends up under the second packet. I've watched it numerous times in slow motion and from different angles but can't seem to figure out why I can't get the packet to the bottom of the deck.

Is there some sort of angle the cards in you palm have to be at, some sort of tension on one of the packets I can't see, or just a knack or something? Help with this would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Jun 24, 2008
Could you be refering to the one handed revolution cut?Im confident that there are numerous tutorials on youtube. Hope that helped
James

That is called the Revolution cut. Make sure you use your pinky to stabilize the top packet as it goes to the bottom(you may have to bend it). The ring finger is really doing most of the work in this move. Towards the end of the cut, you are using your index finger to push the (now top) packet against your thumb while also using your index finger to balance the other packet. Then close. I hope that all makes sense.

Oct 1, 2008
Northwest Indiana
that would be the one...the Revolution cut. I'll research the tutorials and see if they help any. I mean, the move looks self explanatory, I figured it was, just as you said, a knack. Thought I'd ask anyways just to be sure. Thanks guys.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
yeah when i first learned it i had a lot of trouble...and then it just "clicked". Looks really cool at speed but just work on technique first. good luck!

_CC

Oct 1, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually figured out the problem as I was reading the posts...my ring finger wasnt pushing up the bottom packet to allow my index to get underneath.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i first started with motion to,
i had no idea what he was doing, but at the end of bicycle he says "revolution"
thats where i picked it up.
i learned it from youtube

its very knacky, ive been doing it for about a month, and still havent got it down perfect.

practice, practice, practice

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
also, be sure that when you are going to execute the revolution, your index finger should be at the edge of the pack along with the other fingers, not at the front of the pack, so be sure to check this;)

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Also, as a side note, I want to say d+M uses what he calls 'dead revolution'. Or this is what he used/called it in the Lethal dvd. (don't own motion, sorry if this is incorrect).

The main difference being,
revolution starts one handed

dead rev. starts two handed (placing top packet) and ends with the work being done 1 handed like a normal revolution.

Hope this helps, the move takes a while to get use to, but its one of my favorites to do while sitting around. Draws in people for conversation...'How are you doing that?'

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
One handed revolution is a knacky move. It takes some getting use to before you'll be able to perform it consistantly. I tried to learn it from The System but I actually got it down by watching Motion, the Trilogy is a good source to learn this move.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Also, as a side note, I want to say d+M uses what he calls 'dead revolution'. Or this is what he used/called it in the Lethal dvd. (don't own motion, sorry if this is incorrect).

The main difference being,
revolution starts one handed

dead rev. starts two handed (placing top packet) and ends with the work being done 1 handed like a normal revolution.

Hope this helps, the move takes a while to get use to, but its one of my favorites to do while sitting around. Draws in people for conversation...'How are you doing that?'

wow that actually helps me h ahahaha

i first started with motion to,
i had no idea what he was doing, but at the end of bicycle he says "revolution"
thats where i picked it up.
i learned it from youtube

its very knacky, ive been doing it for about a month, and still havent got it down perfect.

practice, practice, practice

i thought i taught you? lol

yeah, i learned it basically like a charlier, but just push in with your ring finger instead and the top packet will naturally spin a little. then i move my middle finger out of the way and contuinue to spin it while it is clipped between my ring and index finger at about the second knuckle and it spins to the bottom. it is a knack, but in some way the motion is a little natural.
hope this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results