Saturday Night Contest :: d+M roundtable discussion

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
This week's roundtable discussion has been posted - listen to it now by right clicking THIS link. Our prize holder this week is CardClip928; congrats, and great questions tonight by all. Let us know what you think and continue discussion about this podcast in this forum thread.

Oct 21, 2007
1) as many people know, you have a very distinct style in your magic and flourishing, you can clearly tell if a cut or an effect is from you. So I was wondering, how would you define/portray YOUR style that has become so familair among modern card workers today?

EDIT: damn 2 minutes late

Sep 3, 2007
How did you start getting attention in the magic world?
How do you define "underground"?

Is MagicIsDead in anyway inspired by Nas's Hip Hop is Dead?

whoops too late

what other careers did you have in mind before magic?
how do you handle hecklers?
have you ever been caught using the gamblers cop taught in Dangerous? and if so how did you deal with it?
do you do any coin magic?
could you beat JB in a jam session?
what cards do you prefer?

Oct 5, 2008
I dont really think that was a great round table at all actully. Didnt really answer any good questions at all and didnt answer that much. JB said that all quesitons were open, cardistry, magic, everything between, guess he changed his mind. And really those questions that were answered, Im pretty sure alot of us already knew the answeres, just go to Daniels Artist section on here and that pretty much covers it. Also JB answered most of them and took up most of the time. I think the artist(danielM) should pick the questions, not JB.

May 10, 2008
I dont really think that was a great round table at all actully. Didnt really answer any good questions at all and didnt answer that much. JB said that all quesitons were open, cardistry, magic, everything between, guess he changed his mind. And really those questions that were answered, Im pretty sure alot of us already knew the answeres, just go to Daniels Artist section on here and that pretty much covers it. Also JB answered most of them and took up most of the time. I think the artist(danielM) should pick the questions, not JB.

I personally liked the interview as it went abit deeper than on his Artist page...
Especially the news about the hunger....that was something I'd wanted to hear...

But I do agree with your last thought though... to an extent, as they might only pick simple questions they would want to answer.

Jan 13, 2008
This week's roundtable discussion has been posted - listen to it now by right clicking THIS link. Our prize holder this week is CardClip928; congrats, and great questions tonight by all. Let us know what you think and continue discussion about this podcast in this forum thread.
Congrats CardClip! :)

That was a good roundtable discussion. Very enjoyable to listen to, and informative.

dontavius: Not everyone will get their question answered. No need to fret, just ask again at the next roundtable. :)

Oct 1, 2008
Northwest Indiana
while I did think JB took up most of the time (sorry JB:)) I still thought most of it was informative...especially the bits about the old and the new merging. I've loved magic since I was a kid (I'm 30) but I never performed it myself. I watched it on tv all the time but I wasn't really inspired to get into it until I saw season 1 of Mindfreak. I saw things on there that I'd never seen before and it resparked my interest after it lay dormant for a while.

Now, somehow...while researching methods Criss Angel could have/does use on the web I came across a video of Daniel Madison flourishing. I was...well, floored. I never saw anything like that before. Then I saw the little link to the Theory11 website. Here I am, and I've been amazed ever since...by the concepts, the artists, and the community. Whether I post in here often or not, I'm here to stay.

I guess the point is just getting started in this stuff, when d+m said he didn't do this for personal fame, it's for the reaction of the audience, that's the shining tidbit of what I always saw magic as in the first place. Even if the rest of the 'cast happened to be ****, that's words of wisdom I think for any professional or aspiring magician or illusionist....in the end, it's about the audience, not the performer.

lol, sorry, that turned out to be a bit of a rant

Oct 5, 2008
Do you have that interview memorized, by any chance? :p

Well just really the questions were obviously answered already, even about the "hunger". If you go to Daniels website go to the hunger section and talks more into it actully about how he went to the hospital and such. I just didnt really like the questions. Jb took way to much time, the artist needs to choose the questions not Jb. Not much new information was put out there, such as who wanted more info on "Change"? There was plenty of really good questions that we all wanted the answeres to but Jb just wants the basic questions such as "What does Underground magic mean" so he can just hype up
Theory 11 more, notice he didnt really let Daniel answer that one.

D

Deleted member 2755

Hello Daniel. I'm still interested in you responding to my topic. :)

I disagree with some of your views on magic as a whole. http://media.theory11.com/1301-dM---Artist-Manifesto-Part-II I disagreed with quite a bit said.

"The industry wouldn't accept me for what I was doing because it was different. Newcomers, young people like us, we don't get a phat chance to make our mark or to give our impression of magic or to give our views on magic because its seen as challenging traditions which most magicians don't like. I think that's something we need to do to move forward."

I have to disagree with you about some of what you said. I'm not sure where you tried to become a magician, but I have trouble seeing the magic community not accepting you. As I said earlier, the Buck twins are both examples of being different. They took magic, turned it upside down by being flashy, quick, and using almost no patter. Why is it that they were accepted, but you weren't. Also, why is it that all of the young people at Tannens (the magic store nearest to me) get respect? I have two friends that work there.

Magicians are willing to break tradition IF WE RESPECT THE ART! I've said this in several other places. If I walked into Tannens and said I knew almost no magic and I just wanted "street magic" DVD's, they would look at me like I'm an inferior being. Its because if I did that, I wouldn't be respecting the art. I'd be using magic as some cheap novelty to become popular in school (which is something I see far too often in many young magicians). I don't know where you were trying to fit in, but saying that magicians are not willing to change I feel is way off. If I just got into magic and without knowing anything tried to change traditions, THEN older magicians would show no respect. They shouldn't either because I shouldn't be able to just change things without understanding the art of magic. Dan and Dave studied magic since they were little. They read the books, studied history, and practiced magic and XCM. I went to a lecture with Dan, Dave, and Chad Nelson. I did not hear one negative comment about them from the older magicians. Actually, the older magicians thought they were pretty awesome because of what they could do.

There are some people that don't do anything but get their little hands on every DVD they possibly can, but don't own a single book. They know almost nothing about magic at all. Then they complain that older magicians don't like them because that is what too many young people are told. When I first got into magic, I was told by different people that older magicians are jerks. They don't like the younger generation of magic and I should stay away from them. That was completely untrue and I realized that as my magic evolved.

I also gained the respect of some of these older magicians. I gained their respect because I showed that I actually care about magic and that I'm willing to put in the work to be successful at what I do.

Magic isn't something that can be learned easily. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn. When some kid wants to learn everything in about 2 minutes after watching a DVD, they don't deserve respect.

I hope you see where I'm coming from.

I hope you take the time to read and respond to this because I think it deserves a response.

-Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
Well just really the questions were obviously answered already, even about the "hunger". If you go to Daniels website go to the hunger section and talks more into it actully about how he went to the hospital and such. I just didnt really like the questions. Jb took way to much time, the artist needs to choose the questions not Jb. Not much new information was put out there, such as who wanted more info on "Change"? There was plenty of really good questions that we all wanted the answeres to but Jb just wants the basic questions such as "What does Underground magic mean" so he can just hype up
Theory 11 more, notice he didnt really let Daniel answer that one.
I didnt hear the podcast, but are you saying that it sucked because bayme selected the questions?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
:: shortened to decrease size of my post ::

You should take into consideration how long ago the whole ordeal dM had with these magicians took place. A lot has happened within the magic community in a few very short years.

Also, don't forget he is an entirely different country whose social customs vary from ours.

You can't make statements using how things work here and now based on something that happened back then somewhere else.

Just be careful on making claims without taking all this info into consideration.

Who knows, your views may be entirely different if you were in his shoes ;)

-ThrallMind

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results