• No I didn't bought it

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Hello,

I just heard the prize of True Astonishment. 300$ i couldn't believe it so i looked it up.
And it was true. This very much in my opinion. Did one of you guys bought it and so yes, is it really 300 bugs worthed?

The price only is Truely Astonishment...

Please read this.

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
D21400 ::

True Astonishments has not been released yet, so none of us could know if it is worth the money! You also do not have to buy every single disc, you can just buy a disc that you think will appeal to yourself, such as a "money magic" disc (assuming there is one).

I hope this clears up everything.

Again, you cannot even pre-order it yet, so you may want to take down your poll!

Hope this helps :D

-Sanj

Sep 11, 2007
I pre-ordered this. Honestly, it didn't matter to me how much it costs. I've been waiting for this to be released for a very long time. As a worker, i'm sure that I will NOT be disappointed and I will be adding this material to my weekend gigs.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
You do realize that this is a NINE (9) DVD set? With a gimmick per disc. That's just over $30 a disc and gimmick.

Not a bad price if you ask me. Try buying a single DVD with a dozen or so effects on it, with a gimmick included for less than $40.

Also, it's Paul Harris.

I pre-ordered.

Paul Harris presented a turning point in the way I study and perform magic. I have a lot of his material. I own some of his old pamphlets and booklets from the 1980s. I have the Stars of Magic volumes showcasing his best material. I even own some magazines highlighting his life and originality. And of course, I own the Art of Astonishment set.

AOA changed everything for me. Prior to reading those books, a coin vanish was just a coin vanish. A color change was just a color change. Then I saw how creatively PH and made everything feel so refreshing again. He used elementary concepts to create some signature, reputation-making effects. All of a sudden, a coin vanish became the potential for time travel. A color change became proof of hypnotism. It was the most ridiculous mind trip I ever had and I wanted to continue exploring weird and strange plots like these.

I've already made a decent living doing Paul Harris material. I'm sure I'll easily be able to make $300 in tips using the material from the DVDs. But none of that matters. Because I'm not paying for the material-- I'm paying for the experience again. Maybe I'm just a fanatic, but I'm sure others share the same opinion. When you see PH's bohemian image lumber onscreen, fiddling with his thick mustache and talking about the value of humor and astonishment, you just get excited to be a magician again. I would be more than happy to pay twice as much for that experience. $300 is a steal.

RS.

Nov 1, 2008
I pre-ordered this from the astonishment project website way back on Dec 9! Looks like they held off on pre-orders in the interim.

As far as being worth it... matter of opinion I assume and pretty subjective. If you find lets say few solid tricks that you will really use and master is THAT worth it? What makes it worth it or not is hard to quantify. I am partly buying it for the collector in me and for the entertainment I'll get from watching these brilliant magic minds do their thing. I can't imagine that it wont be worth it to ME...

Granted 300 bucks is quite a chunk of cash for what most ppl here do as a hobby. For that price I am expecting an opus and doubt that I'll be disappointed.

Just my take
t

D

Deleted member 2755

$300 for nine DVD's with tons of effects from a wide range of magicians, interviews, and gimmicks. Most single trick DVD's are anywhere from $20-$30. Each disc of True Astonishments has quite a few effects. The set has been in production for the past 5 years. I'll save up $300 for what is one of the best DVD sets to come out in magic.

-Doug

J

J:G

Hello,

I just heard the prize of True Astonishment. 300$ i couldn't believe it so i looked it up.
And it was true. This very much in my opinion. Did one of you guys bought it and so yes, is it really 300 bugs worthed?

The price only is Truely Astonishment...

Please read this.

yeah i know! i mean i think its really good and TONS of great effects but
$300 beans!!!!! i mean come on! your right

the only true astonishment is the price!......:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sep 4, 2007
Paris, France
300$ looks cheap to me. Some of you guys are just used to pay nothing and have a lot. This is a truly special set, and it'll surely be a true astonishment once in my hands !

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
300 for this set is a steal, its nothing for what you get.

You get 9 dvds packed with effects, interviews etc and one gimmick to each dvd all in a beautifull box.

The material on the dvds is material that Paul Harris, one of the most creative people in magic IF not the most creative person in close up magic have been working on for years to make it better then anything he has ever done and they have been throwing away any material that was not A+ and 100% practical. And who has he worked with?
Bro gilbert who were one of the main people behind the first mindfreak seasons and a great proffesionel magician, Andrew Gerard who has worked with both criss angel, david blaine and keith berry some of the biggest names in magic, and he is also one of the greatest mentalists and hypnotists in the world. There are also allot of other great magicians on the set.

So a set with some of the greatest, if not the greatest and most creative people in magic right now, who has worked together on a dvd set to make it the best there possible is, it is very cheap.

J

Joseph C

Yes. $300 is worth it. The dinner with him next week is just icing on the cake.
(Mmmmm.....cake....I hope they'll be cake.)

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
For what you get, I also think that $300 is a steal. I want to know the effects but I hope to get a glimmer of how Paul Harris thinks, and adopt some of his modus operandi theory-wise into my magical performances.

Still, $300 is a chunk of change. The only other thing I'll get besides TA this year is DnD's Andthensome... and Andrei's T11 DVD. I figure I'll be good for the next 2 years...

Feb 25, 2009
but....... is it REALLY worth it?

Yea I know its worth it, but is it REALLY worth it?

Is there anyone that doesn't do magic for a living.

I only practice magic for a hobby. Its not like I can make back the money in a couple months of doing shows and stuff.

Is this REALLY worth $300 to me?

By the way, i've seen and figured out 4 or 5 of the tricks on there. So would I be paying like 70-80 extra dollars for nothing??

I really want this though, but I don't want to know that I could've done the tricks on it by going to YouTube, figuring it out, and then going to the dollar store to get stuff to make the props myself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results