Religious Themed Act

Dec 30, 2008
Hey guys, i just started a new semester of college.
I am in a world religions class and the teacher is really cool.
He wants the final project to be something that expresses ourselves with a religious lesson from Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, or Islam.

Some kids are going to compose a song, or take photos, maybe just write a paper, but since we must present, i figured what could be better than magic?!

I have never performed close up style for multiple people, nor have i performed much at all. But i would like to check my options. the class has 30 people.

Can anyone think of an effect that has religious patter or effect? maybe a bible story or something? i know magic is considered of the devil, but can anyone think back and find something for me?

otherwise i will just take some photography, but this could be really cool, and gain me some footing in the school.

thanks
aM

Dec 30, 2008
by the way, just wanted to say, im not religious, and this thread should not be a flamewar, i really need the help.

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
Wounded by Robert Smith, flow by dan hauss. use a bible in a book test, a sponge ball routine.oh i don't know. any trick could be made into a religous doodad.

Mar 2, 2008
water to wine? You can tye somthing bout jesus to that, our you can do that three sponge ball routine and tye it into with jesus making bread and fish for everyone. Just typing out loud.

Dec 30, 2008
hmmmm, never thought of disproving a miracle of jesus LOL.

water to wine sounds good, especially visual. but i cant find anything on the web. :(

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
if you know how to do a book test let the book be a bible and ty in some religous stuff. use a Spongeball routine like apj500 said.

Dec 3, 2008
Liverpool, NY
turn richard fergusons tagged into somethiing with any of the religious books ... some thing like if they are a very religious person and read the bible and live jesus's word then the bible should be part of them and tag them with a scripture number like john 3:16

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
hmmmm, never thought of disproving a miracle of jesus LOL.

water to wine sounds good, especially visual. but i cant find anything on the web. :(

Obviously you can't the technology today is light years ahead of anything they had back at the time of Jesus. Many magicians have tried this but have failed. Also Flow is a good trick. You can talk about Moses manipulating the red sea, and how you will try to perform a similar feat on a much smaller scale.

-Michael

Sep 1, 2007
Wounded by Robert Smith,
totally should do wounded. ya. i also like the book test with the bible idea.

I am so glad I came by before more people could suggest this. I would never recommend anyone do this because it's just bad taste.

I also would not recommend the Bible book test because that conjured up one word: generic.

That said, let's consider this a moment.

Eugene Burger has a wonderful Gypsy Thread routine about Hindu creation stories.

I can't say I'm particularly familiar with Judaism or Islam. I only know a bit about Christianity because of my relatives.

That said, the schism of the Christian church between Catholicism and the Lutherans led to a very interesting dichotomy in Europe. One thing I always found interesting was the Dutch belief that God wanted humans to prosper and enjoy life, but they had to atone for original sin. Women through childbirth, and men through the sweat of their brow. If you look at landscape paintings from the Dutch Baroque period, you'll see a strong emphasis on an idealistic depiction of honest work and labor as well as the presence of sunlight to suggest the presence of God.

What that makes me think of is a variant on Andrew Mayne's Drawn from the Light from the Maynia DVD. Ditch the light bulb theme, and instead go with sketching out a rough recreation of Dutch landscape and with a wave, the sketch pad glows of its own light to suggest the approval of God at the sight of man's labor toward prosperity.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
i was actually being sarcastic about wounded. book test using the bible is generic but book tests are easy to do and we dont know what tricks he knows and how long he has to do it.i agree that there are a lot of better effects to do with religion but without knowing factors like skill level, preference and how much time he has we cant tell what tricks he should be doing. 200th post.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J:G

you should DEFINETLY not do ANYTHING like wounded-saw-thread-ect.
i really like the idea of flow-moses manipulating the red sea-you doing it on a smaller scale!
also i like the idea of the multiplying sponge balls! its just like when jesus took the fish and
bread and fed the 5,000-you could take two spongeballs and multiply them!

J

J:G

you could DEFINETLY do the water to wine trick! its pretty mutch identicle to the bible story!
i dont know if they sell that trick??? but i know that they sell water to beer! that doesn't really
help though........unless its a water to any bevrage type thing!

Dec 30, 2008
keep the suggestions coming!

i would never do a trick with blood. ESPECIALLY IN A COLLEGE CLASSROOM :D

and im not a big fan of flow, its too easy to figure it out. i showed a youtube demo to my bud and he figured it out right away, plus there are a billion reveals online.

anyways...

Dec 30, 2008
also i have 4 months to practice and perfect
im not too sure on spongeballs, and have no idea what a book test is.

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I'm sure you could find some use for a reincarnation type theme.
Torn and restored effects/transportations.

David Williamsons Torn and restored transpo with face cards telling a story of some form of reincarnation. Just tell a story. I think Eugene Burger is also a good source to start at if you're serious.

Do key bending.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results