Ego/Cardini/phuges?

Jan 18, 2009
Honestly what is the difference between all of these.
Ive seen videos of the changes, and sometimes i see small differences.
In the dvd Avenue its called phuges change.
In the dan&dave trilogy its called cardini snap change.
And the ego i think is talked about in danial garcia's project, i think correct me if im wrong:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I believe all are similar in nature, however each have their own unique handling eg using different fingers and using different areas for leverage.

Hard to explain without exposure.

Apr 28, 2008
If you watch the explanations you will notice fairly significant differences.

The Cardini change and Pughe's pass both use a very quick motion to snap the card off the deck however they end up in different positions once they've been taken off the top of the deck. I believe Pughe's pass has better angles than the Cardini change.

In the Ego change, the card ends in almost the same position as they Cardini change however the action of moving it off the deck is different, it slowly slides off instead of quickly snapping off so it is much quieter.

Jan 19, 2009
Honestly what is the difference between all of these.
Ive seen videos of the changes, and sometimes i see small differences.
In the dvd Avenue its called phuges change.
In the dan&dave trilogy its called cardini snap change.
And the ego i think is talked about in danial garcia's project, i think correct me if im wrong:confused::confused::confused::confused:

yup the Ego is used by Daniel Garcia on his projects. But I think, Ego change is the most difficult Color change than the others.

There are some significant differences between each of them:

• The Cardini Change, whilst visually pleasing, has terrible angle issues from most other than a birds' eye view. This is partly down to the grip of the card during the change; those who are familiar with the "Cardini Cut" should have an idea of the grips - because of this, the change is said to be fairly impractical.
• The Ego Change, devised by Daniel Garcia was published first in his Lecture notes, Blueprints (2004) and later published on his DVD, The Daniel Garcia Project, Volume 1 (2005). This is the method of the change that most people use nowadays; including Dan Buck who unfortunately caused confusion by miscrediting it as the Cardini Change on disc one of The Trilogy (2007), whilst explaining "The Queens".
• The George Pughe Pass is perhaps the earliest printed proof of a such a mechanic, though not used as a change. It's often referred to as a 'one-card pass' whose roots go back to 1933. It can be found described in a letter to John Hilliard dated January 21st 1933, where it is mentioned that it is ‘a one-card version of the Houdini-Elliot Shift.’ George Pughe apparently used the move to control a selection to the top of the deck, using the second finger as the lever.

Just on a side-note, the first to establish this type of sleight in print was Steranko, whom used his fourth finger to accomplish the move; making it much easier. His “Shadow Steal“ appears on page 22 of Steranko On Cards (1960). The mechanics of the sleight are also utilized in “The Rooklyn Top Palm“ found on page 161 of Dai Vernon’s Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic (1967). Ray Kosby also re-invented the move in his youth, and titled it “The Coffin Change“ which can be found on page 45 of Spectacle (Minch, 1990).

Hope this clears anything up. :)

Warm regards,
Jordan

Jan 18, 2009
The Pughe makes it go deeper than the others if you know it you should know what i mean.

thats dirty
Also i learned the cardini snap from the trilogy. but apparently the queens uses the ego according to Jordan Lapping.
is this true because the queens uses a fast snap at an angle. and the ego is slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
...i learned the cardini snap from the trilogy. but apparently the queens uses the ego according to Jordan Lapping.
is this true because the queens uses a fast snap at an angle. and the ego is slower.

Hi Navasai&Lents,

As far as I'm aware, the Cardini Change has actually very different grips, and requires three fingers to physically clip the card in order for the change to work. The mechanics Dan Buck uses in the Queens is that of the Ego Change, regardless of the speed at which it's performed - which makes it a miscredit on his part. It's no real issue, but it certainly causes confusion where crediting is concerned.

Hope this clears things up. :)

Take care,
Jordan

Jan 18, 2009
so does that mean the cardini snap change is the change used in tivo 2.0.
but not the modified part at the end were you cause it to alline with the card in the center of the deck(you clip the card in a break with three fingers.is that the cardini:confused:
thats the one thing i dont undertstand.

so does that mean the cardini snap change is the change used in tivo 2.0.

Hi Navasai&Lents,

A very good question -- whilst it isn't the same, the change used in Tivo 2.0 is probably the closest mechanic to the Cardini Snap, but it is still very diffierent in grips. The Cardini Snap uses a three-fingered clip, whereby the method in Tivo 2.0 uses just two fingers to clip the card. To summarize everything: from what I've personally seen, hardly anyone uses the Cardini Snap method or anything close (other than in Tivo 2.0), as the majority of internet video-posters perform the very mechanics of the Ego Change, despite having a false credit that it could be any other.

Hope this sums everything up for you. :)

Warm regards,
Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Hey guys.

I created a new change that uses the mechanics of the Houdini/Erdnase Change by just changing up the speed a little bit and my pink is at the back of the deck like a straddle grip.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results