Watchers.

Aug 1, 2008
has any one ever had someone when you do an effect that trys to wathch every move you make?i call them watchers.like i was doing a trick for someone i work with and i got there card right and they said no it wasent my card even though it was.i just wish ppl would wathc magic for the effect and not try to figure out how there done everytime it just bugs me thoe ppl i like to call watchers.like my mom she will watch the effect to try n figure out how its done instead for the effect it gives.has anyone ever performed for ppl like that ???

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
yes, i have performed for people like that. you just need to work on audience management. i'm mainly a coin guy myself, have been for about five years so my sleights are pretty good, if i do say so myself, and people are always watching your hands. just talking to the people say something, look at them make eye contact. eye contact is key. otherwise you can learn moves like if they say oh thats 2 cards you can drop the double and hand them the one card. coin magic is the same, if they call you out by saying it's in the other hand, i do handwashing or sleeving and say actually its in neither. just learn some clever cover ups and wotk on management.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yep I think we have all had those people. If I ever come across others like that I always just try to act normal and relaxed. Try to talk to them like a normal person. Don't try to be all scripted and put on a different facade that is different from your normal self. Justin Miller talks about this in the podcast he did a couple days ago. If you connect with your audience and gain eye contact(said above), you will relax and your audience will relax as a result.
I think presentation is often under-looked in terms of importance in an effect. In actuality, it plays a HUGE role as to how your audience views, reacts, and enjoys the effect.

Hope that helps,

_CC

Nov 18, 2007
Those people aren't interested in the magic behind it, they are only there to watch/figure out what you are doing. I have a friend(not a close one) who is like that, whenever i bring out my cards to practice or something, he always ask me to see a trick. The best way I deal with this is to not do the trick on him, but to someone else, assuming there are multiple people, that way you are able to move around and possibly hide your sleights from that person from seeing.

First off, there is no correct or incorrect name for these "types of people"... They are just people.

And secondly, welcome to magic, man. You will encounter these people your entire career and your entire life (remember, people "burn" things other than sleight of hand). You have to find your way of handling them and your way of getting through life and those difficult little situations, there is no magic bullet that fixes it.

The best thing I can recommend is to have a personality. Have fun with your magic and with the spectators. Personality is the worlds best misdirection. However, so few nowadays choose this route as it is difficult and requires the most difficult gimmick in the world... experience. There is only one way to get that, my friend.

C

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
tally-ho is right, you need to work on audience management and stuff to do with the performance.

Why do people burn your hands? There could be many reasons.

Because you flashed, or you're just acting suspiciously.
Because you're presenting magic as a puzzle.
Because you're presenting magic in a trivial manner.
Because you haven't established enough authority as a performer.
Because you are not sufficiently different to change the spectator's preconceived notions and opinions about magic.

The problem is, that these are hard things to address, but if they get in the way of the magic, we have failed as a magician.

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Yeah, when ever I show my dad a trick, he always assumes something is up, so if I say "Ok, put your card in there" he assumes it's not his card and his is somewhere else.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Then beat the expectations, change your magic. Show him the card is there. Control it to the second top instead of the top. Show him bottom card, then the top card, and on replacing the top card, perform a top change in that moment he recognises it's not his card.

Aug 1, 2008
the same thing happend 2 me i was doin a effect 4 friend and he said wait my cards on top so just did a double lift 2 fool him,he keep try 2 figure every thing out when ppl start that its time 2 just walk away lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results