Need Help with Magic

Jun 6, 2008
i have been practicing magic for quite a while now. i know i can do them pretty good. so last week, i start to perform to my friend at school. but no one ever pay attention.

then i show it to my brother, then he start making stupid comment like i know how you did it, you did this and that. He didn't even get any right. and he is 10, he is not a little kid.

is it my way of performing that is causing all this problem?

please help me

p.s. i was not performing those free magic you get from internet. i think i was performing the collector from simply sydney

May 4, 2008
NYC
Well we can't really tell if it IS your performing style thats causing it if we dont actually see you performing.
Try catching their eye with an eye candy, visual trick. If you grasp their attention this way, you can go on to a more nonvisual trick.

May 3, 2008
If you ever need help getting attention, learn a few really fast, flashy and cool, flourishes and perform those for a while which will almost instantly get you a nice crowd. Also, for hecklers like your brother, there are hundreds of tricks out there designed for people like him. There's even whole dvds on it. If you don't want to buy anything, use one of your tricks with a huge twist/kicker ending because that always blows them away.

Hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm almost certain that your performance is the problem, as it often is for beginners.
Every time you perform you should have the undivided attention of the entire audience.

If you get responses where people claim they know how you did it (and they obviously don't) or make guesses at the method then it's usually because they perceive it as a puzzle or a challenge to them. This is usually due to a lack of presentation, if you just do tricks 'at' people you will inevitably get this response. You need to engage them and get them involved, it should seem like you're sharing something with them as opposed to challenging them. When you perform well spectators just don't care about the method, they won't even try to reconstruct it, they just enjoy the experience.

As for people ignoring you, this may be because of the situations you're performing in. If you try and perform in the middle of a class or interrupt people when they're having a conversation it's not going to work. To start with it would be better if you perform in a relaxed setting such as a bar/cafe/coffee shop etc and get everyone's attention. These people will then tell their friends about you and the word will quickly spread, people will be coming up to you and asking to see magic, this will put you in a better situation as you know attention will be on you. This will allow you to build up presentation skills so in the future you will be able to walk up to strangers and hold their attention.

Knowing how to do the effect is nothing, you have to learn how to present it to make it any more than a passing novelty to your audience.

Family can be incredibly difficult to perform for, especially a 10 year old, which despite what you say is in my opinion a little kid. Showing friends would be a good start, I find that it helps to find somebody with an interest in magic (even if they don't really perform or do magic themselves) that you can share stuff with and bounce ideas off. Make sure you pick this person carefully though, you don't want somebody who will go shouting out the method whenever you perform.

I'd advise reading a book on performing, the only one i'm familiar with is Absolute Magic by Derren Brown which is brilliant but hard to get. There was a thread listing some great books on performing recently which i'm sure you could find quite easily.

Feb 13, 2008
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it continues. When I first sarted doing them at school about a year ago people kinda were just skeptical and stuff. Even my friends kinda thought agic was dumb. But over time people who enjoy it will tell others that you're good. Once your reputation grows a bit I think things will improve. Keep your head up and don't stop trying.

Aug 4, 2008
keller texas
help with your magic

So what im getting is that you lack respect and attention when performing magic to friends and family. The reason this happens is because they are friends and family, what i mean by that is that they are used to you...if your usually a funny or off topic person like me, i feel your pain. Because all they do is think of you as a big joke and they wont take your magic seriously, i had issues with that for a long time untill i realized all you need to to is step out of your friend and family circle and show people who dont know you. That way you are what you present yourself to be which is some random guy who demanded their attention so that you can blow there mind! If you step out of the box and show WELL PRACTICED MAGIC you will soon have a fan club who basically will worship you. Well thats my input, hope it helped!:D

TXmagician
PS: you friends and family will always be like that for cards and coin stuff, my suggestion for them is do some mentalism, that floors anyone!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results