Is Magic Sexist?

Jan 18, 2009
Im very serous, iv seen very little female magicians doing card or coin magic,its so rare.i know this isn't a question that's normally asked. but don't you find that weird. To be honest I have never heard of a famous female magician, this could be cause i haven't come across any.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I wouldn't go so far as to say magic is sexist per se. But to be sure, it's a very fraternally-based art. Honestly I'm too tired to type more at the moment but do a search, there've been a few of these topics before.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
I wouldn't say its sexist, however I would say very few women are interested in learning magic seriously. Consider the reasons a guy would want to do magic. ..To entertain people, to impress the ladies, to show higher self worth.. A majority of these reasons do not appeal to women as they have their own way of achieving such things.

Its like doing engineering in uni. 95% guys..weeeee! Fun -_-"

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
There are a few girl magicians. Some would say it's sexist, I have actaully had converatations with people who think magic belongs only to men and not to women. I disagree but whatever. :rolleyes:

One of my friends that I know of is a girl and she is a magician, she's no Daniel Madison but she's a pretty good noob. ;)

Check her out here and some of her other video on her youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71jOy1WM2Ek&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYZeE0g_tUE&feature=channel

Anyone else think she looks like Mandy Moore?????

Jan 18, 2009
It could also be because your knowledge of magic begins and ends at message boards like this one.

Wrong i seen a lot of magicians,and heard of. i have seen a few good female magicians. iv been a magician for 2 years, and iv only recently started going on message boards.i only asked this cause i really wondered why. this isn't about puberty, it's just a question. second im seventeen

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Sexism is a prejudice, therefore a profession, item, noun, etc. can NOT be "sexist" - only a person can hold prejudice against another person, item, etc.

The fact that there are very few, in comparison to the male spectrum, performing female magicians means absolutely nothing.

Good day,
Ben

Jan 18, 2009
Sexism is a prejudice, therefore a profession, item, noun, etc. can NOT be "sexist" - only a person can hold prejudice against another person, item, etc.

The fact that there are very few, in comparison to the male spectrum, performing female magicians means absolutely nothing.

Good day,
Ben

Ok then i will say it another way. why is there a lack of female magicians:confused:. K...

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Ok then i will say it another way. why is there a lack of female magicians:confused:. K...

Because the majority of the female population decides not to perform magic.

It's that simple. It's like asking why there aren't a whole lot of female football players. Because most of them choose not to build their bodies in the way required for the sport.

Most girls decide not to do magic.

Someone please close the topic.

Dec 14, 2007
Because the majority of the female population decides not to perform magic.

It's that simple. It's like asking why there aren't a whole lot of female football players. Because most of them choose not to build their bodies in the way required for the sport.

Most girls decide not to do magic.

Someone please close the topic.

Actually, no.

I have been teaching magic for over 20 years. Girls love magic. Many wanted to be magicians at some point. There are many reasons for them not doing so - but a lot of it has to do with the lack of role models (especially strong, high quality role models) and the attitude of male magicians when they express an interest. Just look at the posts on any forum. If someone posts with a "female sounding screenname" and (god forbid) has an attractive avatar, magicians start drooling and tripping over themselves. As a rule, women do not like to be treated like a piece of meat.

Also, the general "I'm here to trick" you aspect of magic is (as a rule) less appealing to young women. They prefer to explore magic as a tool of sharing and communication. They have as much fun in the learning process as they do in the performance aspects.

The above are of course generalizations, but they come from many years experience working with both young men and women. Of course, there are individual exceptions to these observations, but I hold that they are true.

I think it is interesting that so few females decide to pursue magic and it is worthy of consideration and discussion.

Brad Henderson

Sep 1, 2007
...and the attitude of male magicians when they express an interest. Just look at the posts on any forum. If someone posts with a "female sounding screenname" and (god forbid) has an attractive avatar, magicians start drooling and tripping over themselves. As a rule, women do not like to be treated like a piece of meat.

And yet no matter how many times you or anyone else repeats it, we can't stop teenage boys from turning into sweaty, grunting troglodytes who are ready to eat each other alive to compete for the young lady's attention. In fact, I daresay there are some people here who took up magic as a way to pick up chicks under the delusion that it would make them less unappealing.

It's this sort of thing that makes me glad to be a misanthrope.

Jan 18, 2009
And yet no matter how many times you or anyone else repeats it, we can't stop teenage boys from turning into sweaty, grunting troglodytes who are ready to eat each other alive to compete for the young lady's attention. In fact, I daresay there are some people here who took up magic as a way to pick up chicks under the delusion that it would make them less unappealing.

It's this sort of thing that makes me glad to be a misanthrope.

really steer pike, you make sound like were animals who can't control themselves.
that's a load of bull****.that reason makes little to no sense. first i started magic cause i love the impossible:D second most don't drool over women,but i do agree with some people did become magicians to only get girls.and third we have self control, were not animals.

Sep 1, 2007
First of all, I didn't list you by name so it perplexes me as to why you took it so personally.

Second, yes they do.

Third, you would be surprised.

This topic comes up with startling regularity, and if a bright young lass does deign to show her face here, the deluge of attempts to chat her up inevitably drive her away. I have not seen any evidence to the contrary.

Of course, considering how few people here perform for live audiences with any frequency, it doesn't surprise me that they're so starved for human contact and act like a bunch of baboons in the presence of a woman, jockeying for the alpha male position.

Jan 18, 2009
First of all, I didn't list you by name so it perplexes me as to why you took it so personally.

Second, yes they do.

Third, you would be surprised.

This topic comes up with startling regularity, and if a bright young lass does deign to show her face here, the deluge of attempts to chat her up inevitably drive her away. I have not seen any evidence to the contrary.

Of course, considering how few people here perform for live audiences with any frequency, it doesn't surprise me that they're so starved for human contact and act like a bunch of baboons in the presence of a woman, jockeying for the alpha male position.

first because you put a label on males.

second why do you compare us to animals in the face of temptation.

i have performed to live audiences.i know a girl at school who does magic she not very good at all but has good presentation,and people were not acting like animals.

third not every single girl is attractive

Sep 1, 2007
first because you put a label on males.

That's because I am one. I reserve the right to talk trash on my own kind.

second why do you compare us to animals in the face of temptation.

I just explained why. What do you expect, a flow chart?

i have performed to live audiences.

Again, I wasn't referring to you specifically.

i know a girl at school who does magic she not very good at all but has good presentation,and people were not acting like animals.

Again, you have this immensely bizarre notion that I fancy myself the only male on the planet with a functioning brain.

third not every single girl is attractive

Well, durr! But do you really think some of the apes who bombard the girls who have shown up around here with insanely creepy chat up attempts are capable of making that distinction? No, they just assume.

I don't see why you care so much, though. I'm not talking about you, despite your delusions to the contrary. I'm talking about the drooling adolescents with the self-control of a goat.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
That's because I am one. I reserve the right to talk trash on my own kind.

I just explained why. What do you expect, a flow chart?

Again, I wasn't referring to you specifically.

Again, you have this immensely bizarre notion that I fancy myself the only male on the planet with a functioning brain.

Well, durr! But do you really think some of the apes who bombard the girls who have shown up around here with insanely creepy chat up attempts are capable of making that distinction? No, they just assume.

I don't see why you care so much, though. I'm not talking about you, despite your delusions to the contrary. I'm talking about the drooling adolescents with the self-control of a goat.

I'd say to tell them to get laid - but it doesn't appear that they're particularly capable in that regard.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results