Rub A Dub Vanish

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
This move is actually pretty easy. It does take some guts to do it the first time as you see yourself doing the move and youre like "how... do... they... not see that....??"
but basically
if your hand is big, then fluidness is key.
if your hand is small then a convincer is in need. My hands are tiny. But the convincer i use is do the move but without the actual vanish. Manipulator had already said this but I dont think he explained it. Basically do the move but "fail". Once the audience has seen the move, they will expect the same thing the next time you do it. When you repeat it, they automatically expect the card to be underneath. Then ABRACADABRA ITS GONE!

Sep 3, 2007
How do you pull back the card?

Can you just pull it back with the thumb and turn the deck 90 degrees?

And I'm doing this on my knee FYI

Thanks!

exactly as you said. a convincer that i do is i don't pull the card back the first time. and actually palm down the card. then I say oops sometimes it doesn't work, then I do the move. the secrete is to imitate when actually putting card down to pulling thumb back. just practice

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Possibly my favourite non- control/force move in card magic. I use it constantly.

The convincers I use are as follows- I turn the move from a gutsy 'attitude' move, into a technical, retention of vision move. This is accomplished by...

-Keeping the finders of the 'rubbing' hand open and spread until the last fraction of a second before it covers the whole card. As the hand fully covers the card, the fingers close and the thumb based mechanics take place as the hand moves away from the deck. The vanish is done.

I also, under real heat, use Greg Wilson's handling for the move- I bend my leg at my knee, and perform the move on my lap. But (thanks Greg!), as I do it, I 'lose my balance' and stumble a little, and so return the card to the top of the deck and prepare to do it all over again. This time it's successful. The reason this works is because you condition the spectator to see the hand take the card, then when it fails the first time, it's not as a result of the 'magic' not working, but because you stumble a little on your feet. You repeat the same thing, but with a better balance, it works.

CL

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
Derren Brown has a nice touch to this by adding a few extra beats inbetween, so there is more room for the spectator to retain the image of the card in their mind.

"i'll put this card on the table and rub it.
-rubs card. dont worry, i havent changed it yet.
-lifts hand and displays to spectator.
-rub a dub vanish
you see if I rub, it goes away
-lifts hand as if card has been palmed
no really, its gone
-turns hand over to show empty"

I advise checking out the 3 card routine in the devils picturebook.

Aug 31, 2007
England
I agree with Chr!s about having the fingers open.

Also, the top right corner of the card should be just past your pinky (when the fingers are open), so its slightly visible out the side of your hand, just before the move.
Its a very small detail but makes it look that little bit better.
This idea I got from richard sanders.

Theres also different ways to reveal that its vanished that you have to consider, you can simply turn over your hand and show, you could lift up and pretend its still in your hand palmed then show, or you can quickly spread your fingers again showing that its gone, my personal favourite is to quickly spread the fingers again, but play around with some different ways and decide which you like best.

One final thing i like to do is "brush off" the table with my fingers, not really important but just a nice little touch.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
In the "failed" vanish I try to mimic the thumb movement so when i do the actual vanish, it looks exactly the same.

Sep 3, 2007
I'm having trouble with pulling it back. All the way. And the timing.

And while I'm doing this, I have a dummy card on top and their actual card in my mouth. So I don't wanna have to much of an offbeat between displaying the card and the vanish.

(This is based on an idea Bijlogg posted in the CC2 forum)

Help?

Jan 28, 2009
Whangarei, New Zealand.
I used to have a few problems with it until I came across a suggestion by Derren Brown I found in his "Three Card Routine".

Basically, you perform the rub-a-dub vanish, then just as you go to lift your hand you fidle about a little (and I mean a LITTLE), make it look like your palming the card. I even put my thumb under my hand slightly to make it even more suspicious. Now you lift your hand up and show the card has vanished (with your hand still in a position to draw suspicion to you "palming the card"), now say "Look I'll bring it back.". Saying that combined with making your hand look like you palmed the card will make the spectators so sure that you've palmed the card that they will have completely forgotten everything about how you took the card from the deck, as their most logical reasoning for the card apparently disappearing is that you palmed the card, which requires the card to be delt off of the deck. After saying that you will bring the card back simply place your hand back on the table and rub the card as you would a usual rub-a-dub vanish but this time spread your fingers and lift your hand showing that the card has disappeared and that you clearly have nothing in your hands. Simply say "Oh no, it's definately gone.". Now as the spectators were sure that you palmed the card this will shock them.

I nearly always do this. As long as you are confident with all of these moves it will cement the vanish in their heads and leave them wondering for a long time.

--------------- EDIT: -----------------

Oops, just read up and I've seen that others have already posted this.

I'll still leave it intact however as I go a little more in depth into it.

Jan 28, 2009
Whangarei, New Zealand.
If your meaning which is best... it depends on the routine and the slieghts your putting it amonst.

I really can't say without knowing your whole routine. You have to try both and see which works/feels best.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would say for versatility- The rub-a-dub, though the tent vanish does have it's place!
For visual pointers on the performance of both of these moves, I direct you to Bebel's work. In the context of his vanisihning aces routine, they look flawless! Plus, he has some really good Block work too.

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results