Talent Show Results...

As many of you know, earlier tonight I took part in my schools talent show. (Many people suggested calling spectators up but today I found that it was against the rules to do so.) It was a great expiriance to say the least so I'll go over what happened for everyone.

There were a total of 14 acts, each had to be under 5 minutes. I was the second act. The first act finished, my name was announced, I came out and as the table and camera were being centered I entertained with some really flashy flourishes. These got many claps, oohs, and of course ahhhs.

Then my show started.

(For those that don't know I performed a card trick but it was projected up onto a large screen for all to see.)

I shuffled then went into My Version of Grandpa's Aces. My version was designed to challenge myself. It is WAY more difficult then it needs to be but makes me work harder and that is why I made it so ridiculous.

During my act there was no words simply music. As a matter of fact it was the same song Copperfeild used when he performed his G A routine. I'll go through the steps of the tricks and write down what the reacions were...

ACE PRODUCTION: My ace production was very simple. Just a few variations of the pop out move. Nothing special to a magicians eye but the crowd clapped and whistled because to them they had no idea how I was finding hese cards. It was all good.

FIRST ACE DISSAPEARANCE: The first ace's dissapearance was very cool. It was the simplest out of all of them but I started to shake from nervousness here. It was not noticable at all but my insides turned to jelly but I did it without a hitch and everyone screamed once it dissapeared. It was intense!

SECOND ACE DISSAPEARANCE: This ne was very cool. The card is spun and changes. No more ace. It was very cool and was a little bit difficult but not too bad. This one got really great reactions and the crowd screamed, ooohed, ahhhed, whistled, and yelled out profanities. AWSOMENESS.

FINAL ACE DISSAPEARANCE: this one is H-A-R-D. HARD! The whole trick depends on it. If you make the slightest wrong movement everything is exposed and everybody realizes the basic concept of all the dissapearances which would not be good at all. But I puled it off without a problem vanishing the final ace. Everyone flipped as the card is placed into the pack upsde down and vanishes. THE CROWD FLIPPED.

ACE REVELATION: Well the aces had to go somewhere right??? Well, they all appeared under the Ace of Spades. The crowd freaked and started to cheer and clap but I help out my hand signaling them to shut up. There was more... my own surprise ending.

FINALE: I picked up all the aces, shook them, and they all turned blank. People cheered, yelled, whistled, screamed, clapped and gavce me a standing ovation. But the crowd reaction is only one protion of the judges grade.

Here is the final outcome...

without a doubt there was 3 people that totaly killed me with awsome skills. and I totally respect them for that. I was not in it to win but just there for the great expiriance. and I got a lot of good stuff pout of it so i completed my mission. But I didn't walk away empty handed. i was the honarable mention which is fourth place. So I won 25 dollars. YAY!!! But it was awsome. oh and I got a bonus prize...

BONUS PRIZE: In addition to the 25 bucks I was approached back stage by a man after the show who helps run an organization to raise money for homeless people in my area. He invited me to do the same trick with the same setup at a colledge with the same sized auditorium. all of the proceeds go to the fondation helping the homeless and I am honored to do it. It is in a few weeks and they will be contacting me so we can work out that projector thing again.

In the end it was great and I am so happy I did it. If you ever have a chance to do something like this...do it! It is one of the most amazing and valuavle things you'll ever do.

Oh and if you are still asking: "WHY DID HE MAKE THAT TRICK SO HARD ON PURPOSE."

Well, it was for my own benefeit really. I wanted to challenge myself. I knew I was going to vbe nervous and have to do all of these hard sleights but if I could do it then I would better myself. And I did.

Dylan P.

Jan 13, 2008
That's awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. :)

It's nice to hear that the audience enjoyed themselves, as well. And congrats on the extra gig. :)

The $25 isn't a bad deal, either. ;)

1: Thak you guys.

2: It was awsome.

3: again about 500 people at the homeless drive.

4: The winning acts are as follows,

THIRD PLACE: GLOWING STICKMEN: They had those stick figure glowing suits and it was amazing and wicked funny.

SECOND PLACE: CRAYOLA FLOW: an amazing band that my school has. they are great!!! I actually was hoping that they would wiIN...

FIRST PLACE: DANCING LADIES: 4 of my friends in tights and womens underwear stuffed with socks that danced in a boyband like fashion. IU almost wet myself.

Jul 14, 2008
Well done, man! You made the magic community proud and I hoped that you would post the video (if that happens). Other than that, I am glad that you had the great experience.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Damn!!

Pretty good. I was in a, kinda of talent show, at my school last year. I'm expecting to do it again this year too.

but very good man! Keep it up!

About the video I am very sorry to say that no one I have talked to has flmed it. The girls that was supposed to film it had car trouble and didn'e arrive until the fifth act and I was the second. Bummer. But there is a chamnce a teacher filmed it so if I do find one I'll post it.

D

Deleted member 2755

Glad you had a great experience. :D I'm sure you felt good about it. Congratulations. :)

-Doug

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results