Interesting Thought...

Sep 14, 2007
Well, I've just been thinking about "exposure" for sometime, honestly...sure, I don't like it, but it doesn't really bother me...

I've only had one trick mess up because some wanker decided to yell out where it was...anywho, this leads me to this statement.

I'm a younger guy, hand out with younger people and know a handful of magicians, a bunch of wana be's/rich kids. Some of them, including some of the real working magicians, download music.

I asked a friend the other day when he was telling me that when he was working his little gig in this club someone bursted his bubbles on a palm saying he saw it on such and such website. Ranting and raving he was, we decided to just chill and listen to music, it was some stuff I hadn't heard, so I asked him the CD. He just said, "I don't know man, I downloaded it."

I then, calmly asked him what he thought the difference was between downloading music and exposing magic effects...needless to say, he flew off the handle saying it's completely different, not the same, blahblahblah. Now, he's a VERY passionate person, so to base on opinion on him is kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

I did a "mini study" with the people who I knew did magic, asking them if they dl music, then asking how they feel about exposure yadayada. I got a lot of mixed reviews...and only a handful said that they thought it was the same thing, that is the exposure of magic and the illegal download of music.

Anyway, some might find this pointless, and if so, I'm sorry for wasting your time :D

What are your thoughts on this subject?
How do you feel about exposure of magic?
How do you feel about downloading music?
Are they the same?
If not, how do they differ?

if your friend had a BMW and he said "hey buddy , would you like me to make a replica of mine so you could have one to drive around ?" what would you do then ............... magicians are supposed to help eachother out ...thats how you really make progress in art . If I know someone who spends hours a day trying to progress their art ...and i know that person has no money ...and they want to learn a trick , but it cost like 50 bucks....do you think i'm not going to lend that person a dvd ......when i was 12 years old and first getting into magic...if it wasn't for the older magicians who taught me and saw my eagerness to learn and let me borrow there vhs tapes so i could progress ..if it wasn't for them i wouldn't be doing magic professionally now......not everybody has money ........not everybody has the talent ........but if we TRULY want to see magic progress ... then we should teach those who have the natural ability to perform and create and astonish ....We Are A BROTHERHOOD ..... We are taught since we were young to share ......you don't get arrested for giving toys to children in need do u .......do you think all these top magicians never copied a tape for their friends or let them borrow a dvd ....do you think these guys never downloaded music ........come on ......not everyone wants to learn magic ........the balducci levitation is one of the most revealed secrets and i still floor people with it .....so come on

Sep 14, 2007
if your friend had a BMW and he said "hey buddy , would you like me to make a replica of mine so you could have one to drive around ?" what would you do then ............... magicians are supposed to help eachother out ...thats how you really make progress in art . If I know someone who spends hours a day trying to progress their art ...and i know that person has no money ...and they want to learn a trick , but it cost like 50 bucks....do you think i'm not going to lend that person a dvd ......when i was 12 years old and first getting into magic...if it wasn't for the older magicians who taught me and saw my eagerness to learn and let me borrow there vhs tapes so i could progress ..if it wasn't for them i wouldn't be doing magic professionally now......not everybody has money ........not everybody has the talent ........but if we TRULY want to see magic progress ... then we should teach those who have the natural ability to perform and create and astonish ....We Are A BROTHERHOOD ..... We are taught since we were young to share ......you don't get arrested for giving toys to children in need do u .......do you think all these top magicians never copied a tape for their friends or let them borrow a dvd ....do you think these guys never downloaded music ........come on ......not everyone wants to learn magic ........the balducci levitation is one of the most revealed secrets and i still floor people with it .....so come on

I think you completely missed my point man...

I'm all for helping magicians, I have a couple under my wing now, I still look up to some locals that got me into it.

That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm mainly talking about people looking it up or buying the tricks just to see how it's done.

Or someone that just looks somethng up, see it taught (badly) and then tries to perform it for a crowd and gets busted.

I grew up in a small town, and when I first started I would be stupid and tell people the name of the trick I was doing. Even after I wised up there was a handful of tricks, usually easy ones that I wouldn't do a lot of anyway, that I couldn't even do anymore because someon would google the name, get the reveal, and tell everyone.

After I really buckled down and learned from my mistakes, it was almost a non issue. I'm just saying, exposure tends to hurt the blooming artist without a lot of experiance, more so than the expert.

All of which really has nothing to do with my original post :eek:

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
I see where both of you are coming from... but I feel a little of both actually... magic is different, and if I want to teach my friend how to do SAW then I will, and if he wants to give me a copy of a CD he bought thats cool too. But I believe that if someone you respect as an artist puts something out it's only right to pay for it. I buy CDs or MP3s from the bands, and if I know an effect that someone has taught me or lent me, I'll buy it out of respect for the artist. There are tons of people who just want free stuff, and if thats who you are, then thats who you are. If you're a thief so be it. But I don't want to hear anyone crying that they got arrested for "stealing" and no matter how you slice it, it's stealing... getting something for free that you didn't pay for and wasn't freely given to you by the originator, manufacturer, or retailer is stealing.

As artists we need to support each other and thats not always just showing up to shows and putting up flyers... sometimes we need to buy their stuff so we can help each other eat.

Sep 14, 2007
I see where both of you are coming from... but I feel a little of both actually... magic is different, and if I want to teach my friend how to do SAW then I will, and if he wants to give me a copy of a CD he bought thats cool too. But I believe that if someone you respect as an artist puts something out it's only right to pay for it. I buy CDs or MP3s from the bands, and if I know an effect that someone has taught me or lent me, I'll buy it out of respect for the artist. There are tons of people who just want free stuff, and if thats who you are, then thats who you are. If you're a thief so be it. But I don't want to hear anyone crying that they got arrested for "stealing" and no matter how you slice it, it's stealing... getting something for free that you didn't pay for and wasn't freely given to you by the originator, manufacturer, or retailer is stealing.

As artists we need to support each other and thats not always just showing up to shows and putting up flyers... sometimes we need to buy their stuff so we can help each other eat.

Well put man!

ok here is my basic view on the matter ..... i personally buy magic ....but i don't blame those who can't afford it but have such a strong passion for the art that they download the secrets ......Dave Matthews doesn't care if people download his music ... he only cares when people try to make a profit off of it ..think about it .......and yes i understand what your original post was about

Sep 14, 2007
I did think about it...

But honestly, when it comes down too it...there is the library.

And I don't blame the people that look it up, I just don't think the people that put it out really understand what they're doing, and in most cases they "teach" the trick very poorly.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
I mean what does music have to do with magic exposure? I mean everyone knows the music.. but not everyone know how to do a magic trick so I think there's not relation with this 2.. excuse if I'm wrong.. english is not my native language..

cheers
aris

Sep 14, 2007
It's more about my findings that only a handful of magicians I know do download music, but are against exposure.

Basically, they think it's ok to take something of value from one artform, but it's not for another.

Sep 1, 2007
I'ts basically like being robin hood, the music guys are rich, so we don't mind taking from them, but we aren't. So when someone uploads the trick to youtube or torrent ect, ect, we get mad. It's just like robin hood. But, downloading music is not wrong if it is being shared, like in your share folder with things like lime wire.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Oddly enough, I'm downloading music as we speak.
Actually, I buy the majority of my music, unless there's a song or an EP that I'm dying to get, I do it all legally.

I Love Magic, I hate magic exposure...I sometimes dl music! But I buy what i realy love!
I don't think magic exposure and music dl are the same!
In fact, I often see people who do one trick, a simple trick with cards. They think they are sooooo cool because they know one trick. I think that people who watch these exposures are these one. They just want to know how to do one or two tricks. But they are not enough "in love" with magic to learn hard effects.
When I dl a music, it's not to appear as a cool guy! It's because I like the song...I think the difference is there.

Sep 2, 2007
I mean what does music have to do with magic exposure? I mean everyone knows the music.. but not everyone know how to do a magic trick so I think there's not relation with this 2.. excuse if I'm wrong.. english is not my native language..

I think that he is comparing downloading music illegally to exposing a magic trick immorally.

I'ts basically like being robin hood, the music guys are rich, so we don't mind taking from them, but we aren't. So when someone uploads the trick to youtube or torrent ect, ect, we get mad. It's just like robin hood. But, downloading music is not wrong if it is being shared, like in your share folder with things like lime wire.

I believe you just admitted to commiting a felony -- all you say/type can and will be used against you in a court of law; you have a right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one ... :D

On a serious note, downloading music illegally, as with limewire, is illegal as it violates copyright laws. The same logic applies to illegally posting a DVD of Panic on any website, without the express written consent of theory11 -- just because it's my shared folder does not make it legal or right.

Downloading DVDs or music illegally or exposing magic is a vast problem that, because is omnipresent, is hard to prevent .

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results