I thought we said keep this stuff OFF youtube

Sep 1, 2007
I'm sorry, but I'm pissed out of my mind right now. I've just been overloaded with crappy performances of Panic, and nearly all of them are exposing the trick. The people aren't trying to expose, but they handle it oh so sloppy and you can see how to do the core slight in this trick. i know i can't do anything about it, but PLEASE guys, don't even take the risk of performing it and putting it on youtube, just put it in the media section. Please. This is too good of a trick to be exposed.

Sep 14, 2007
I agree, just put it in the media section, at least laymen wont find it if it exposes the trick, and if it does, then just don't put it on:p

-magicmatt:)

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Funny...

Heh, I was going to post a VERY similar to this one, a few nights ago... I was browsing through Youtube looking for an effect I'd seen a while back by Aaron Fisher (Helter Skelter? Something like that). Of course my search inevitably lead me to bad performances of "Panic!". I have to say, I was extremely disappointed to find them, as I believe they expose the method (which I don't know yet but had a pretty good idea which was decently reinforced by these videos).

Now I think naive is a pretty strong word to call someone when I think it was more 'hope' that this could be a new turn in magic, some people just can't hold themselves back I guess. - I know I was like this, and I heavily regret it; now I practice more and perform less, but when I do perform I make it my best.

Please, those of you that own these effects. If you really have to post videos, STRONGLY analyse them. Do they look like what made you buy the effect in the first place? Is it the best you could of performed it? Is it going to make other people see the magic and not just the gimmick? (which in my opinion is what most of these videos are doing... Showing off the cool new gimmick they bought)

Sorry if I seemed a bit strong, but it's really annoyed me too.

- Sean

Sep 2, 2007
I have yet to have a video accepted into the media section. Youtube accepts my vids no matter what. I don't expose anything, so what's the problem? I don't own panic, but telling people to just "put it in the media section" is like telling people to keep their music off the streets and just play in symphonies. Lots of excellent musicians don't get accepted into symphonies and orchestras because the competition is so tough. . . but they still deserve to have their music heard.

Aug 31, 2007
Stop looking for internet praises and internet pats on the back from random strangers on the internet. Your life will be much more satisfying.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
actually... ive seen all the panic that i could find on youtube.. but if i didnt know that it was a gaff... i would be even more amazed because you see the deck slowly minimize into four cards... so theres my two cents

Sep 24, 2007
www.myspace.com
i haven't searched on this Panic trick cuz i'd rather buy it first before some kid ruins it for me but i have seen many videos on youtube that "reveal" the secret unintentionally. and in a few cases i've asked them to take it off and they did.

it's much more satisfying to go out and get REAL reactions so i say just don't put up tricks on youtube or google video. just practice a lot, go out and perform to people...and not your webcam.

if you want feedback on a trick i'd keep it in magician friendly areas with magicians giving you feedback.

of course flourishing i'd say is alright for youtube cuz there's not much to "reveal".

peace.

Sep 10, 2007
(First post :) )

To tell you the truth, I couldn't guess Panic in a million years....or not.

Anyways, people really have to practice their skills before they perform. I cannot stress the importance of saying "stop" when you want to buy that effect. Trust me, you can always improve EVERYTHING you have. I would know 'cause I was stuck not buying or learning anything for about half a year. Of course, that made me practice the same things again and again, making me look five times better than I was.

Back to videos on Youtube, I also cannot understand those people who expose effects. I mean, right before this post, I found a user that had exposed a whopping 9 effects from Ellusionist, and 3 more hosted by E! It's crazy, considering this guy was also a little kid. (Of course, I reported it to them.)

The World is crazy...

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I have yet to have a video accepted into the media section. Youtube accepts my vids no matter what. I don't expose anything, so what's the problem? I don't own panic, but telling people to just "put it in the media section" is like telling people to keep their music off the streets and just play in symphonies. Lots of excellent musicians don't get accepted into symphonies and orchestras because the competition is so tough. . . but they still deserve to have their music heard.

Yes, but ones who can't play worth crap should keep their music to themselves until they've practised it enough that it is actually worthy of performance.

This is what I don't understand. These kids are filming themselves doing these tricks. They can obviously WATCH THE VIDEO themselves after they've shot it. How in the hell do they NOT see when they blatantly expose the workings during a performance???

I have no problem with them posting videos of themselves performing what ever effect they please, just make sure it looks damned good before you put it up.

Have they never performed live? (might be a dumb question) They should realise what happens when you mess up, and the audience sees how you do something.

No, not just that the secret is exposed, but you look like a fool. Anyone who's ever messed up in performance should know what this feels like and how it can make you look in the audience's eyes, at least for that moment.

The difference is in live performance you can recover and move on to another effect, when it's on youtube and it's just your single effect performance, that is all you leave them with, and YOU MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A FOOL.

Plain and simple. If you aren't going to have enough respect for the secret and the fact that when you mess up you expose it, then have some respect for yourself and realize when you mess up, you expose yourself.

Sep 2, 2007
I'm dissapointed that Panic has been performed so poorly, available to the world to see, but again I'm not sure anything can be done.

This thread, for example, probably is prompting people to check out Panic on youtube because if they didn't know about it before, they will want to check it out, further exposing the trick.

I'm not sure if any probable solution exists -- it was not as if they were trying to reveal it, but rather they probably didn't practice enough, or are very poor magicians -- and it's not like poor or lazy magicians can be banished or exiled.

Cheers,
JTM

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I'm dissapointed that Panic has been performed so poorly, available to the world to see, but again I'm not sure anything can be done.

This thread, for example, probably is prompting people to check out Panic on youtube because if they didn't know about it before, they will want to check it out, further exposing the trick.

I'm not sure if any probable solution exists -- it was not as if they were trying to reveal it, but rather they probably didn't practice enough, or are very poor magicians -- and it's not like poor or lazy magicians can be banished or exiled.

Cheers,
JTM

I have actually found that a FEW of the individuals who post sub par performances ARE actually open to you if you manage to talk to them.

That is, don't just come out berating them about how stupid it is and how the are exposing things, but rather calmly explain that they may want to keep working on their performance and technique. The suggest that in the mean time, they way want to take down the video as it is not a true showcase of what they are capable of, and also runs the risk of exposing the method.

I found such a performance of one of my effects up at metacafe. Although at first the kid called me an idiot and making claims like I couldn't possibly know how the effect was done (especially ironic considered the blatant exposure in the video.)

I manage to get through to him once he was convinced that I was in fact the creator of the effecta nd the person he bought it from. After this he appologized for his attitude, and took the video down and asked for some tips on improving his performance.

The weird thing was that at first he was up in my face and adiment that there was no exposure etc, which made it seem like he thought highly of his performance, but wafter he had apologized , he went on to say how he is new and he did not think he was that good just yet and has trouble performing without exposure just yet.

I found this a very odd dynamic in his own thinking and it makes me wonder what the many other kids posting similar videos are thinking.

I believe that they are too caught up in the anonymity the net has provided and this masks the obvious fact that a video is in no way helped by that anonymity as the performance is the same as when you would be in person. Just because they don't know you when you post, doesn't mean they don't see you in a video.

Sep 2, 2007
Yes, but ones who can't play worth crap should keep their music to themselves until they've practised it enough that it is actually worthy of performance.

This is what I don't understand. These kids are filming themselves doing these tricks. They can obviously WATCH THE VIDEO themselves after they've shot it. How in the hell do they NOT see when they blatantly expose the workings during a performance???

I have no problem with them posting videos of themselves performing what ever effect they please, just make sure it looks damned good before you put it up.

Have they never performed live? (might be a dumb question) They should realise what happens when you mess up, and the audience sees how you do something.

No, not just that the secret is exposed, but you look like a fool. Anyone who's ever messed up in performance should know what this feels like and how it can make you look in the audience's eyes, at least for that moment.

The difference is in live performance you can recover and move on to another effect, when it's on youtube and it's just your single effect performance, that is all you leave them with, and YOU MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE A FOOL.

Plain and simple. If you aren't going to have enough respect for the secret and the fact that when you mess up you expose it, then have some respect for yourself and realize when you mess up, you expose yourself.

I agree entirely with everything you just said. I'm not talking about people like them. . . I'm talking about people like me.

Sep 27, 2007
Bascally, i never understood uploading tricks on youtube anyway, but if you are gonna do it:

1. do it well

2. dont do stuff that isnt even released yet. ts disrespectful to the creators

3. don't do it

x

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I have actually found that a FEW of the individuals who post sub par performances ARE actually open to you if you manage to talk to them.

That is, don't just come out berating them about how stupid it is and how the are exposing things, but rather calmly explain that they may want to keep working on their performance and technique. The suggest that in the mean time, they way want to take down the video as it is not a true showcase of what they are capable of, and also runs the risk of exposing the method.

I found such a performance of one of my effects up at metacafe. Although at first the kid called me an idiot and making claims like I couldn't possibly know how the effect was done (especially ironic considered the blatant exposure in the video.)

I manage to get through to him once he was convinced that I was in fact the creator of the effecta nd the person he bought it from. After this he appologized for his attitude, and took the video down and asked for some tips on improving his performance.

The weird thing was that at first he was up in my face and adiment that there was no exposure etc, which made it seem like he thought highly of his performance, but wafter he had apologized , he went on to say how he is new and he did not think he was that good just yet and has trouble performing without exposure just yet.

I found this a very odd dynamic in his own thinking and it makes me wonder what the many other kids posting similar videos are thinking.

I believe that they are too caught up in the anonymity the net has provided and this masks the obvious fact that a video is in no way helped by that anonymity as the performance is the same as when you would be in person. Just because they don't know you when you post, doesn't mean they don't see you in a video.

Might I ask what effect it was?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results