BULLETIN : andthensome +YOURSTUFF Contest

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
This is sweetas...
I dont have anything to post yet, but I will!
Gotta learn how to use Sony Vegas...
ah well
I would love it so much more if the prize was a signed (or not) copy of AndthenSome.
ah well
and for those people who are confused, you can use music as long as you are allowed to. You can not use music without the permission of the creator as they have the copyright for it. So you can not use as people have said My Humps, but you can use your own creation, My Song #1 or what ever. Most songs which more than 3 people have heard is usually not royalty free. Basically search the song and if you find it, then you probably cannot use it. But there are some free music sites such as Freeplaymusic.com.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Oh man this is crazy. I won't be participating but I'm definetly pumped for this. I am also wondering who is going to teach the move on the DVD. I wouldn't think it would be D&D because they wouldn't exactly have much time to learn the move. Or will they just put the winning vid into the dvd.

Nov 3, 2007
Kyrgyzstan
Question to Dan and Dave

Question to Dan and Dave.
hey, guys!!! I have one more question. Can I use music from you trailer fro Trilogy and some music from TRILOGY DVD?
THNX!!! :)

Jan 19, 2009
So what is a new trick?
1. if i conbinate a trick?
2. if I make a new one?
2. Or what?
and what will be better?----fluorish or magic trick?

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
I am also wondering who is going to teach the move on the DVD. I wouldn't think it would be D&D because they wouldn't exactly have much time to learn the move. Or will they just put the winning vid into the dvd.
The complete tutorial will be included on the DVD. You're the performer. You're the instructor. ;)
Can I use music from you trailer fro Trilogy and some music from TRILOGY DVD?
The music used on The Trilogy set is not royalty free, but owned (or under license) to Dan and Dave. Therefore, it should not be ripped nor used. All music in your clip must be royalty free, of your own creation - or simply nonexistent (no biggie).
Nonexistent meaning we don't have to use music..?
Correct.
Can it be a concept, where then multiple moves are taught based OFF of the concept?
Absolutely, as long as the concept is original.
Can we use silent teaching as long as it is clear? Or is speech a necessity? I don't mind either way, just thought an answer would be appreciated.
Speech instruction is not required, as long as all is clearly understandable.

Sep 1, 2007
Just a little tip for anyone who cares, if you go on itunes and type in "royalty free music," you will come across an album entitled "royalty free music..."

Stuff's not too bad. Check it out.

Oct 15, 2008
Oh man! This sounds incredible!!!
Ugh-I wish i had a working camera, cause i think I might actually have something:
It's a mix of the Jones Change and card throwing! Is it possible to just submit a description with some photos instead of a video?!?!

Call me old Mr Picky if y'all will, and I mean no disrespect here as this is a pretty cool competition, but:

If one was to come up with a sleight or trick so worthwhile to the industry that Dan & Dave Buck were willing to put it on one of their DVD's, and the person that came up with said sleight or trick gets no money or royalties from it...wouldn't it make more sense to find another company to produce it and sell it?

Like I said...really cool concept for a competition, really very cool indeed...but....?

Rabid

Oct 15, 2008
yeah, i guess, but what are the chances of you getting a deal for, say, a DVD right off the bat? Now, if you've got the "I was that kid who was on andthensome" under your belt, now you got a better chance!

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
You exactly right, it may not be the greatest offer, but you have something which will be backing you if you go for something else. Dare I say it, bragging rights.

yeah, i guess, but what are the chances of you getting a deal for, say, a DVD right off the bat? Now, if you've got the "I was that kid who was on andthensome" under your belt, now you got a better chance!

True, and i see your point entirely. But that was not the point I was making.

The point is if it's worthy of Dan & Dave's DVD, it's worthy of their reputation [possibly], and since their reputation allows them to make a living off magic, it therefore follows that what ends up on their DVD by way of this competition is worthy to be independently sold...no?

I fully admit to jumping the gun here in respect of the quality of whatever ends up on the DVD, but I would expect that if all submissions were worthless, Dan & Dave would find some way out of putting it on their DVD.

So again...?

Still makes little sense to me.

Rabid

Oct 15, 2008
oh- i see what you're saying now. Yeah, you're right-but who knows if you're material is good enough to compete with The Bucks? the only way to know is to send it in to them......haha and by then it's too late!

but who knows if you're material is good enough to compete with The Bucks? the only way to know is to send it in to them......haha and by then it's too late!

Precisely.

Obviously there are all kinds of factors involved here. For instance, I would imagine that the only submissions that are deemed worthy of serious consideration are ones that can be proved to have been worked on for a fair amount of time and road-tested to prove their validity.

But that just brings up the same question...doesn't it?

Scratched record here, but once again [cos' i can see how this could be taken by some] this is in no way disrespect. But it just seems to me that if I [for example only] really thought I had something so good that it was worth a shot at making it onto Dan & Dave's DVD...I wouldn't send it in.

Rabid

Lex

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
Again, I understand that completely...but that's not the point.

Well, it sort of is, actually--here's how . . . .

If the move is good enough for Dan & Dave, the move is good enough to sell independently. (Probably. this is arguable too, but let's set it aside.)

But when a company like Theory11, D&D, or Ellusionist is producing a DVD, they're selling the move and the artist.

So the trick might be good enough to shop around to another company, but the artist most likely isn't. Most of us are no-names who could send the best darned video in to Penguin (or somesuch) and never get a deal because nobody knows us, nobody has worked with us, and they have no idea how the thing will sell. (There may be isolated exceptions, but that's banking on a comet hitting.)

But let me tell ya, if you can send a video in with an "oh yeah, my trick was featured by Dan and Dave Buck in their andthensome video" line in your cover letter?

You'll be beating away the offers with a club.

In other words, nobody else is likely to buy your first video--but they're almost certain to buy your second video (if you win).

This is why American Idol works, or shows like Project Runway, Top Chef, or any one of those other reality shows. Industries are tough to break into. It happens every once in a while that you get a real break-out star, but you never see the wreckage of the hundreds of people who don't make it in the shadow of the one who does.

Industries don't always automatically recognize talent; sometimes talent has to have a little boost from someone already on the inside. Sort of a little hand up from someone who's already made it there.

That's why this contest is an amazing opportunity. Yes, you could try to go it alone and face million-to-one odds against succeeding. Or you could enter: your odds may be hundreds-to-one, but they're still much better.

A chance like this doesn't come along all the time. Think of how many folks have watched Trilogy and taken up the moves.

Now think about how you'd feel if one of those moves was yours. And how you'd feel realizing that two pretty big names in the magic world took the risk of putting their names behind yours.

Sheesh, from that perspective, the money is nothing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results