Why We Do Magic?

Feb 10, 2009
Portsmouth, England
Hey there guys im new to this forum and just want to start off by saying hey to all theory 11 members.

Ok well to the post. I think from time to time its a good idea to look at why you do magic be you a professional or just do magic as a hobby. Just a quick background before I get into my story. Im 20 years old and ive been doing close up magic non stop for the last 2 years. Everyday I cant wake up quick enough to get a pack of cards in my hand. I haven't yet performed for anyone other than friends, family and work friends but I am hoping to in the near future.

Anyway back to the reason for my post. I was at work a couple of days ago and one of my work friends grandad and 2 year old cousin passed away within a matter of days of each other. We sat down and talked about it for about half an hour and she told me all about her grandad and what kind of person he was. After about half an hour she asked me if I had any new tricks to show her. So I grabbed out my deck and performed biddle trick for her which went down well. I went to put away my deck and she asked to see one more before we got back to work. I pulled out a 20 pound note and one of my business cards I give to friends and used these as my bet. I then pulled back out my deck and performed Jay Sankey's gaurenteed. When I told her I couldnt find her card and that she could have the 20 pound note she looked shocked and refused to take it. I then turned over the guarentee card which was now her signed card and she was shocked and said nothing (I was hoping for a better reaction than this I thought) then she started laughing almost hysterically and told me it was pure magic. I told her she could keep the signed card and the business card and she told me she was going to anyway.

Later on I was busy working and I saw her showing the card to her sister and said "The card changed to my signed card, he didnt even touch it"

Now this story although long winded is the reason I do magic. By performing for someone as a magician we take them out of themselves and for those few minutes they are in a different world where anything is possible. To be able to affect someones life like that and make a lasting impression is a very powerful effect that I dont think alot of us actually think about when performing. After performing for my friend she smiled for the first time ive seen in weeks.

So to get to the whole point of my post I was just wondering about other peoples stories about why you do magic and what it means to you.

Thanks for reading guys and I hope to hear some great stories.

Nov 30, 2007
Nice first post. Simply put, I do magic because others love it and I love the pleasure of performing a solid trick.

Feb 10, 2009
Portsmouth, England
Yea just noticed there are loads of posts about this tally-ho just wanted to introduce myself and tell my story. Im kinda feeling sorry for that little search button now too :) Thanks for the replies guys.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results