Giving Private Magic Lessons

Aug 18, 2008
Have you ever been asked to give lessons to a friend or co worker or someone? Do you think giving lessons is a good idea?

I have started teaching a very close friend the fundamentals of card magic. He is accelerating quickly and I am impressed. Any recommendations of what to start him out with?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Royal Road to Card Magic. I had a friend that wanted to learn last year, so I taught him a few simple things, then I showed him where he could buy Royal Road. After I stopped giving him freebies he stopped. However, him and I are still great friends, and he hasn't revealed any of my secrets that I taught him, so nobody really lost in that deal. I don't think I would ever do it again, though.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I teach my friends a couple things from time to time. Just simple things like coin vanishes or sponge ball stuff. No one really had the passion for magic so i've never suggested any books.

I've taught my friend a basic sponge balls across (to spectator's hand) and he can now amaze people too. :D

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I don't really encourage young magicians to teach other people magic because your still learning as well. I would tell them what books to start reading or lend them a book, this way you can tell if their really interested in doing magic, or it's just something they think they might like- this should be a good test.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean your good at teaching it. Leave it to the pros who wrote the books (Royal Road) to teach beginners how to start magic. You may know some knowledge, but I can guarentee you that they'll get a much better education learning from professionals than yourself.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, don't take it that way. You can help your friend along the way if he needs help with a certain aspect of sleight of hand that he doesn't understand. By all means help him, cause I'm sure he'll need help just starting out.
But like I said, point him in the right direction, and if he really wants to learn, he'll take it upon himself to learn it by himself.

Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, he has been getting some basic material, and I simply offer to correct him and help him with his mistakes. He first learns his tricks from the source, then comes to me to perform and I critique.

Jul 14, 2008
Well, personally in my opinion, I don't give out lessons to someone because he may not be committed to magic as me. However, if that person is serious and reaching for that goal, then I am happy to do so.

Sep 1, 2007
Well, personally in my opinion, I don't give out lessons to someone because he may not be committed to magic as me. However, if that person is serious and reaching for that goal, then I am happy to do so.

What have you done to call yourself the standard?

I teach a five-session class in basic magic technique and performance to kids ages 8-12. Next classes are in March. Not a path I recommend to everyone.

When performing, most often in a restaurant, I get asked quite often if I do lessons. I normally tell them I that started out by going to the library and learning that way. Then I tell them next time they come in (repeat business for the restaurant and looks good for me), to show me what they learned. I'll do this a couple times before I decide to teach them something, or give them some more sources (Mark Wilson's Complete Course, Royal Road to Card Magic, Bobo's, etc).

This keeps the guests coming back to the restaurant, shows me they're committed to practicing, and most importantly is the very first thing they do. When I tell them to go to the library to learn, it shows initiation and desire on their part.

I don't do any formal lessons, but well do a quick session in the restaurant...10 minutes or so. :)

Best.
Steve

I've got to agree with DannyT on the subject.

Just because you can perform magic doesn't always mean you should teach it. Teaching is a completely seperate skill set and not something everyone is cut out to do.

I as well would probably test their interest level by teaching them like a card trick... maybe 3 piles of 7 or something equally mundane and simple and if they like it direct them to the local magic store for a course in Royal Road or Mark Wilsons Course in Magic.

I wouldn't mind giving guiding advice or serving as inspiration, but I don't want to be responsible for someone's development.

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
I have two close friends that I teach. But when they asked for lessons I didn't just give them out. I made sure they really wanted to learn and not know the secrets. So what I did was simply show them a trick and asked them to tell me how it was done. Now they could have just gone on the internet and figured it out. But there is a difference between what the internet says and what a person finds on their own. They did it on their own.

So to some things up its a matter of their interest. It is a good thing to teach that way the art continues but they need to want to learn and practice.

Sep 1, 2007
I as well would probably test their interest level by teaching them like a card trick... maybe 3 piles of 7 or something equally mundane and simple and if they like it direct them to the local magic store for a course in Royal Road or Mark Wilsons Course in Magic.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea that we should only teach them self-working tricks that they may already know. Also, there seems to be a disconnect in teaching something "mundane" to encourage them to learn the art of mystery and wonder. But maybe that's just me...

When I first tried to learn magic, all I could find on the free websites were self-working card tricks. Discouraging to say the least. I didn't feel like I was learning a skill. I was just memorizing directions. Then I remembered that I was basically getting what I paid for. So I sought out actual sleight of hand. Had someone offered to teach me magic, and only taught me 3 piles of 7 with a stock presentation and all that, I would have dropped that guy like a stone.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I like the idea of Private lessons and personally have found them very beneficial to myself. I take lessons from Ed Ellis who is a great close up card professional. He worked out at the magic castle and has done cruise work as well. Getting one on one attention with someone making adjustments and giving you pointers as you work through a trick is just awesome. And for all of you who think that paying for lessons is an easy way out compared to reading books or watching dvds..don't worry I do my fair share of that as well. I think it depends on the teacher / instructor as well. They need to understand how much back ground you are starting with and to be able to have some patience. You are not going to just pick up the sleights and moves in one session. Heck...my turnover pass is definitely going to need work and repetition but it is steadily improving. If anyone is ever wanting to take lessons...I say go for it and try a few to see if it pans out for you. I do not think it is unethical or ripping anyone off. I keep a journal and every effect I learn I know who to credit.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I like the idea of Private lessons and personally have found them very beneficial to myself. I take lessons from Ed Ellis who is a great close up card professional. He worked out at the magic castle and has done cruise work as well. Getting one on one attention with someone making adjustments and giving you pointers as you work through a trick is just awesome. And for all of you who think that paying for lessons is an easy way out compared to reading books or watching dvds..don't worry I do my fair share of that as well. I think it depends on the teacher / instructor as well. They need to understand how much back ground you are starting with and to be able to have some patience. You are not going to just pick up the sleights and moves in one session. Heck...my turnover pass is definitely going to need work and repetition but it is steadily improving. If anyone is ever wanting to take lessons...I say go for it and try a few to see if it pans out for you. I do not think it is unethical or ripping anyone off. I keep a journal and every effect I learn I know who to credit.

That's awesome Rev, but you're getting taught by a pro who knows how to teach. Not all magicians know how to teach. You probably notice on DVDs all the time if the magician really knows what he's talking about or if he is constantly correcting himself and using filler words like, um, and ah. That's code for I'm not sure what I want to say next so I'll say this as I try to think of what to say.

Being taught by an amateur has many flaws to it. Basically, they don't know where to begin and what to work on next.
So if a potential magician told me he wants lessons on magic, I'd point him the way to the library.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I agree with you Danny. People need to put a lot of time and effort into where they are going in magic. There are no free handouts, but I guess the teacher side coming out in me says that if someone wanted to come take lessons from me....I kind of look at it like I do when I charge money for tutoring after school. They are willing to come put time and money in to try and better themselves so I do my best to help them out to my ability. Plus...having a little extra spending cash to support your own magic purchases is nice.

Could I teach a beginner some basics...probably. Could I take their skills further to the next level....maybe...but that is where I would draw the line and not be exposing any of my most prized effects to a rookie just so he can go astonish his friends at school. I would not want some amateur magician teaching things incorrectly and as fast as they could just do make a buck. That would be wrong and taking advantage.

I guess it is a double edged sword. Eventually you would have to send them to the library to do some research on their own.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea that we should only teach them self-working tricks that they may already know. Also, there seems to be a disconnect in teaching something "mundane" to encourage them to learn the art of mystery and wonder. But maybe that's just me...

i would be more interested in testing my potential student's level of interest before I just hand them the keys to the car, so-to-speak. I would start them out with something easy, and perhaps what would be considered mundane by most of the rest of us. If they showed any interest or talent then I'd be more than glad to instruct them from there. Probably strait into an ACR or simular types of effects.

The key point is making sure that the student possesses two fundamental things. 1) A strong desire to learn the secrets of magic. Both in function and in presentation theory. and 2) The dedication to keep up the studies and not let this become just a 1 trick interest.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results