True Astonishments

May 3, 2008
For those of you who have True Astonishments, I want some honest opinions on whether or not it's truly worth 300 dollars. Is it really that sort of revolutionary set of magic and ideas or is it all just hype? What are your thoughts on it? Paul Harris being awesome is not quite enough to make me shell out 300 bucks all at once. Also, which would you say is more worthwhile in the long run, The Art of Astonishment books or the TA set? I've heard nothing but great things about AOA and want to know how TA compares with it (if they can be compared). Which has greater value to you? Thanks.
PS. I'm probably going to get both of them sooner or later, but probably not all of the discs from TA.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't have AoA yet, but TA in my opinion is worth the price. I've only looked at two discs, and I'll probably end up using all but one or two of the effects from there - which is a lot more than I usually use.

nayost

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i just recieved my set yesterday here in thialand. initially i was sketchy about spending the 300. after watching the first 4 disks (my plan is to watch all 9 disks first, than take the time to learn the effects second time around) i feel it's well worth the investment, because i can actually see my self doing quite a few of these effects. each disk will have a effect using a special gimmick which is provided with the set, some you get even more than one. I don't know how it compares to the AoA as i have yet to recieve the set i've ordered from the US.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
300 dollars for this set is a steal, its worth waaaaaay more then that.

The TA set will change the way you look at magic and what you think is a good magic effect. Bro Gilbert who is performing and teaching on the set is amazing and the presentations for the effects are the thing that is really revolutionary, they have worked really hard to come up with "logical" presentations that is more about them having fun and having a great experience then you and your "awsome skills" so in most effects people wont even think about the secret because the effects is not about fooling someone, they are more like a small piec of entertaining theater.

The effects are also fantastic, most of them could be on a 1 effect dvd for 29 dollars.

There are some effects that Paul easily could have given to David Blaine to have on his speciall because they are so strong.

Its also packed with interviews and some of the best stuff from AoA as a bonus.

May 3, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I just read on the Cafe that the price of the set will jump to 325 dollars so that pained me just a little bit. I'm most likely going to get the single discs when they're released; I'd love to know which discs stood out to you guys the most. And again, if anyone has both AoA and TA, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I would get the whole set because there are no "best" discs on them, every effect is just as good but everyone will like different effects and allot of effects from different discs are great to use in the same routine, also disc 9 which wont be released as a single dvd that comes with the TA pen is amazing.

I have both TA and AoA and TA is much much better. AoA is one of my favourit book but i read it more for inspiration. There are allot of great stuff in AoA but there is allso allot of stuff that is quit cool but nothing you will ever use.

TA also has the best effects from AoA as hidden bonus items.

J

Joseph C

It depends on what else you would buy with the $300.
If you usually spend $30-40 on a disk, you could do worse.
I have the set and I don't think it's worth $300 (or $325)

There are a lot of good things in the set (including many interviews - some of the best stuff is in the Easter Eggs). However, I feel some of the techniques (where you tell the participant to do something behind their back or put the deck in/near the box for no reason) are not organic and will raise suspicion in the participant (New Leaf, LVL$, Half Moon Voodoo, Angel Cake,...).

I'm curious how the TA Pen will end up working for people since it does make a noise and I think people will find it suspicious that the pen is always used to do the astonishing....

I think some DVDs are better than others (for instance, I like 1 and 5 much more than 2, 3 8 or 9 (even though Paper Propeller is on 8). You may want to pick up only those you like (when they release them separately).
(Or, as Tumbleweed said - still lots to learn in AoA (as an example, Tensegrity - which seems to have a lot going for it, and is in AoA)).

Feb 12, 2008
"Level$" off of Disc 2 is worth $300 by itself.

And yes, I am greatly exaggerating here.
But seriously, it's a million dollar effect.

D

Deleted member 2755

Will the sets with the puzzle box sell out?

I e-mailed Jason form the Astonishment Project about this. The response I got said that what he hopes happens is all places selling TA will eventually have to get the sets WITHOUT the box and will sell for $300. The Astonishment Project would forever sell TA WITH the b ox for $325. He said he couldn't promise anything though. Well Tim from Murphys posted over at the Cafe saying that in about a month, TA will start retailing at all dealers for $325 which most likely means all dealers will sell TA with the box. (The reason for the price increase is because the price to produce the set has been rising so $325 will probably be the new price and stay there) If you buy it within the next few weeks though, you will still be able to get it for the normal $300 price tag.

-Doug

Feb 6, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
I e-mailed Jason form the Astonishment Project about this. The response I got said that what he hopes happens is all places selling TA will eventually have to get the sets WITHOUT the box and will sell for $300. The Astonishment Project would forever sell TA WITH the b ox for $325. He said he couldn't promise anything though. Well Tim from Murphys posted over at the Cafe saying that in about a month, TA will start retailing at all dealers for $325 which most likely means all dealers will sell TA with the box. (The reason for the price increase is because the price to produce the set has been rising so $325 will probably be the new price and stay there) If you buy it within the next few weeks though, you will still be able to get it for the normal $300 price tag.

-Doug

Thanks for the info.
It's not in my budget right now though.
I hope the box is still sold when I can buy a set.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results