Royal Road or Card College?

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Hi,

I'm doing Magic for 1 and a half month now. I do wanna buy a good book.
Wich one should I choose? The royal Road to card magic or the 1 volume of card college?

Please help me.

D21400

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Royal Road is a considerably cheaper buy. If you dont have much money, go with royal road.

Now i dont have any card college books, but i think its best to buy at least the first 3 volumes or so to get the full benefit.

Basically, you'll get more out of royal road than just one book of card college. But if you can afford it, you can get a couple volumes of CC and that will be much better than royal road.

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Royal Road is a considerably cheaper buy. If you dont have much money, go with royal road.

Now i dont have any card college books, but i think its best to buy at least the first 3 volumes or so to get the full benefit.

Basically, you'll get more out of royal road than just one book of card college. But if you can afford it, you can get a couple volumes of CC and that will be much better than royal road.

Thanks,

Keep them coming

D21400

Nov 18, 2008
CA
I started off with Royal Road. It's got a lot of basic and very important stuff within the pages. If you want to start off with a great, cheap foundation get Royal Road. However, I have heard nothing but great things about Card College. My grandfather owns the set and I have looked through them before. They're amazing. I would go with R.R and then work your way up to C.C.

Have fun!

_CC

Feb 16, 2009
I strongly recommend purchasing the Card College series at some point if you are serious about card magic. I am personally working my way through it and it is chock full of information. At first I was hesitant to spend so much because I thought I would have trouble learning sleight of hand from books but Roberto Giobbi does a phenomenal job at describing the sleights. At the beginning of the book he says

"I wrote this course for fun. I truly enjoy analyzing, understanding and describing complex physical, psychological and dramatic sequences as precisely as possible"

and it really shows through in his writing.

Sep 9, 2008
Philippines
Well, in my opinion, I'd go to Card College. It's incredible! The way he taught of the sleights were pretty good and he had sketches of how you should hold it to make it clearer. At the end of that chapter, he usually puts notes about that sleight to help you which was very helpful indeed. Well, I'd definitely go for Card College if you have enough money because the whole set is pretty expensive.

-Niko

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I don't think that you will get definite answer here, because some people love CC, and others love RR...

In my opinion, go first with Royal Road, and after that go with CC. Royal Road is much cheaper, has everything you need (all basic sleights), a lot of tricks etc. When you finish RR, go to CC, and while studying CC, perform tricks that you learned from RR. That way you will have performing experience, and will learn new stuff...

Hope that helped.

Reactions: AndrewD11144
Nov 16, 2007
I would recommend Card College for the following reasons. Both books use the same philosophy as the foundation. Teach a sleight, teach a trick using the sleight. Card College teaches the best, most up to date methods and sleights. As someone mentioned above, Mr. Giobbi does a wonderful job with the descriptions, and the illustrations, of which there are many more than Royal Road, are crystal clear.
This is not to say Royal Road does not have extreme value, and is not worth owning, because it certainly is. It's just that I believe Card College is in essence, a modern Royal Road, and a younger / newer student of card magic might derive a better understanding of modern card technique.

Jan 30, 2009
I have learned the hard way that it's better to get the most indepth information first. Trying to go back over information in another source later can be tedious, and learning from the wrong source can slow you down, or frustrate you. RR is certainly a good cheaper resource, but you could be better off going right to CC.

Reactions: inn3rs3lf
Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If you have the money, probably Card College. As much as I advocate learning from history, there are certainly times when modern is best. Both are fantastic, but I'd probably go with CC.

May 1, 2009
UK
I own all five volumes & i would highly recommend Roberto Giobbi Card College over The Royal Road To Card Magic By Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue. Don't get me wrong TRRTCM was my first magic book but thats because the Card College Volumes where not available back then, also these books are not just for beginners. I hope this helps

Apr 5, 2009
I also think Card College vol. 1 is the way to go. It is as others have suggested more up to date and easier to learn from. Card College 1 (and 2) is also available in an electronic format (PDF) with accompanying video of each slight (no verbal explanation given since you already have the written one).

However I would still buy RRTCM at some point. If you have the resources, R. Paul Wilson's RRTCM DVD set is also a great companion set to the book. Absolutely worth the cost in my humble opinion.

/M

Oct 11, 2007
RR first,after u have mastered it then move on toCC.A lot of working pro's,david willamson,chris kenner homer liwag,tom frank,paul gertner,ect.read RR back in the seventies.Look at their skills to day!

Apr 5, 2009
RR first,after u have mastered it then move on toCC.A lot of working pro's,david willamson,chris kenner homer liwag,tom frank,paul gertner,ect.read RR back in the seventies.Look at their skills to day!

I'm sure if they had access to CC back then, they would have studied that as well (or perhaps before RR).

I've heard several high profile card magicians recommend new students to card magic / sleights to start with CC as well. The reason being they felt the handling of cards is more current... along with better (easier to understand) illustrations.

Having said that I learned to use cards through RRTCM as well... but I do own the CC set and feel they (vol. 1 and 2) are much superior to RRTCM. Particularly the digital version of Card College (which includes videos of Giobbi performing each sleight). If interested, you can find it here: http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-p-817.html

/M

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Card College is a bit easier to understand in it's teaching and is written better. Plus it goes over just about EVERY card sleight out there.

I think it was written in like 1997 or so. So it's obviously written in a more understandable way and the effects are pretty up to date.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results