Deck of Cards in Bottle

Jan 13, 2008
So, I saw the thread about the deck of Split Spades cards (signed by David Blaine) in a bottle, and was inspired to try my hand at it. I've uploaded a picture of my attempt (all 52 cards, yay), for reference. (note: I realize it isn't the best picture, but I'm using a built-in webcam on my laptop, so it's the best I can do)

What I was wondering is, what are your thoughts on the choice of bottle? I personally like the look of it (it goes well with the 1800's deck look, in my opinion), but I'd just like to hear what others think.

For a future project, I was considering using the Johnnie Walker Black Label styled bottle (a smaller version of the bottle is included in the picture), which is suggested in the printed instructions (in the AoA books--because JWB is so expensive, they actually make a cheaper suggestion as well, which I'll leave you to read about in the books). As well, I was considering using a bigger bottle of the style I already used (also included in the attached picture).

I would also like to hear opinions on the card style choice. The 1800's look superb, to me, especially for this type of project (it reminds me of ships in bottles, and messages in bottles, which makes me think of old style pirates, which makes me think 1800's). But, I realize everyone has their own style preferences, and as such I'm interested to hear what type of cards everyone here would choose.

For a future project, I'm not sure I'd change the card style (maybe the colour), although I'm open to suggestions.

In addition to stating what style of bottle and cards you would use, please also include why. It's nice to see the thinking behind choices you make, and it really gives those choices some substance.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your replies. :)

Side note: I didn't post this inside of the DB signed SS inside of a bottle thread because I didn't want to hijack it--this deviates a bit from the intended purpose of that thread, and as such, I think warranted its own thread.

Attachments

• Photo 32.jpg
    Photo 32.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,660
Jan 13, 2008
Wow, well done :D
Did you learn how to do it from the AoA?
Indeed I did. :)

And thanks...it was mighty difficult, given the size of the bottle. I'm not sure one could even open the deck of cards now, no matter how hard they tried (unless they ruin the top of the box), that's how small the bottle is, heh. Well, they probably could if they really tried, but that's beyond the point. ~_^ But yeah, anything in particular about it that you like? How about anything that you don't like about it? I'm mainly talking style wise (look of the bottle, size of the bottle, type of cards, etc.), but anything would be nice to hear. Just trying to improve in my next go at it, heh.

Also of note, since I forgot to mention it: If I do try it with a different (read: larger and/or taller) bottle, I'll most likely have the deck sealed inside of the cellophane. It would have been far too difficult for me, given the current bottle, but a larger bottle would most certainly facilitate such a thing. :)

Before that, though, comes the drinking of the whiskey, of course, haha. ;)

Side note: For anyone who purchases/enjoys whiskey, Crown Royal (the whiskey that comes in the style of bottle shown in the picture) comes with an elegant looking purple cloth bag (shown around the bottom of the larger Crown Royal bottle in the picture). It's only the 750 mL bottles that come with the bag (it's in a purple box--also shown in the picture, heh). I just thought I'd mention it because it's nice for carrying magic supplies and such--people seem to think it gives it a touch of class (from what spectators have mentioned, anyway). Also, those who recognize it as a Crown Royal bag get a laugh out of the fact that it's from a bottle of whiskey, but they think it's a smart idea as well to make use of the bag.

Side note 2: Crown Royal is a premium Canadian whiskey, in case that makes a difference in availability where you live--I know we have access to the major brands from most countries here in Canada, but I'm not sure how widely available Canadian products are outside of Canada.

Late edit: Also, would having a mini deck inside of a smaller bottle (such as a 200 mL bottle) that still has the same sized lid as a bigger (i.e., 750 mL) bottle still be as impressive? The deck obviously can't fit straight inside of the lid, and would likely barely fit inside of the bottle width-wise (at least, the Johnnie Walker Black Label bottle that is in the above picture), but I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort or if people would just think "Oh, well, the deck is so small you could probably just squeeze it in, or something." I'll probably try it out anyway, but I'm just curious as to what everyone's thoughts on that are. I'm thinking I'll try using the JWB bottle with the mini Ghost cards, since they look so neat. I'll update this thread when I decide to try it out (won't be for a while, though, as I won't be making an E order for quite some time, given their shipping rates). ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
very nice..
I made 1 back in 2007.
I also followed AOA.
It took around 1- 1.5 hours to make it.
I made the stupid choice of using a vinegar bottle (im 15 at the moment). It was harder than hell. It was long and round (thats what she said). It made the job very difficult. basically, I would suggest the smaller the bottle the better and with cornered sides.
But after 10 cards or so, I was able to understand the technique and could basically put 20 cards in a minute.
I am working on a sealed with cellophane and seal deck in bottle.
I also made a few mini decks in small bottles. You know those mini bottles you find in 711 or whatever.
Those make terrific gifts.

Heres a vid I made in 2007 of my first attempt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqLUs7SiiY&feature=channel_page

Sep 2, 2007
I would say use the bottle on the far left instead. the cards look distoreted and not goo. but greast job getting all the cards in there!

(You ask for my thoughts on the bottle. so I game them)

Jan 13, 2008
I would say use the bottle on the far left instead. the cards look distoreted and not goo. but greast job getting all the cards in there!

(You ask for my thoughts on the bottle. so I game them)
Thanks...this is exactly what I was look for when I asked for a description of why someone had a particular opinion. :)

I noticed in the picture that they look mighty distorted on top, like you mentioned. Luckily it's just because it's somewhat of a top-down picture, and they look alright from head on (it was a really bad camera angle--I should have tried to retake the picture, heh). But a good call, none-the-less. I'll have to make sure to display them on a shelf that is at or above eye level, so as to avoid that nasty angle. :)

But I do think I'll try the bigger bottle, and the mini deck in the smaller bottle, just to try them out. We'll see how they go.

Everyone else: Thanks for all the replies, thus far! They stories are interesting to read, and the praise is always welcome, haha. ;) Honestly though, I don't mind constructive criticism or ideas about what I could do differently in the future...that's the main point of the thread, heh.

D

Deleted member 2755

This just inspired me to pick up my AOA book and do this. I'll see you all in 20 years when I'm done with my first bottle.

-Doug

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Very awesome. I'll have to try this out now. This would make an amazing gift for my grandfather.....now I just have to get a hold of his AOA books to find out how. lol

Jan 13, 2008
Amazing job. This made my day.
Thanks! And I'm glad it made your day. Oh, while you're here (or if you return and read this, rather), I'd like to note that I'd gladly make a bottle and send it your way if you wanted to send a deck of cards (made by Theory11, of course) my way. Just sayin'. ;) Seriously though--I'm enjoying the whole card in bottle thing, and I wouldn't mind sending you guys one if you sent a deck this way. I'd be able to make it with any other deck, but it only seems right to do it with a Theory11 made deck...and seeing as I don't have any (I've only ordered split spades from you guys--three bricks of them), I'd need one sent this way, heh.

I'm also glad to see so many others inspired to try something new. That's what I did when I started this project (myself inspired by the Split Spades in a bottle, with signature, and far out of my price range, heh). :)

Funny story: My brother was up early in the week to visit, and I showed him the deck inside of a bottle--he was quite impressed. He also made it his personal mission to make a deck in a bottle of his own, when he got home that evening. That night I got a call, frustrated and confused about how I was actually able to do it, haha. He knew the method (he has the AoA books), but the actual action of getting everything in there wasn't quite going as planned for him. He was able to laugh about it, though, so all is well. He'll also be coming up next week to visit again, so I'll demonstrate for him how I was able to do it, so nobody has to worry about his inability to get things done--he'll be able to put a brick of cards in a bottle by the time I'm done explaining it to him. ;)

Also happening this weekend is me trying to empty the bigger bottle of whiskey in the picture...because, uhh, I want to start my next deck in bottle project? Yes, that's my excuse. ;)

Anyway, good luck to all of those people who are going to attempt a project of their own like this! It's a lot of fun, and the end result is definitely a work of art.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I just put together one without reading any methods of how to do it with a Jones Soda bottle and a deck of Mini-Bikes. There is NO room to move stuff around even though it is a mini-deck, the JS bottle is rather small. It took me a couple hours. It will take me a little longer next time, as I will be trying to keep the cards nice and straight instead of warped like they are now.

Oh, and if anyone cares, a broken apart plastic clothes hangar. The curved ends help.

Jun 9, 2008
a challenge to all...god i'm sick!

How about trying to reseal the card case. You can buy deck seals and I know a way to take the cellophane off and put it back on. Why do I have to think of this crap. Good luck. Let me know if you can get it! PM me if you want to know how to get the cellophane off and back on. Plus I'm working on getting a signed card into the pack during a performance. No deck seal or cellophane though. Hmmm....or can I?

Jan 13, 2008
How about trying to reseal the card case. You can buy deck seals and I know a way to take the cellophane off and put it back on. Why do I have to think of this crap. Good luck. Let me know if you can get it!
I have the seal for the deck ready to be placed on...I'm just waiting to get some better tools, so I can place it on as perfectly as possible. And I didn't even have to buy the seal. ;)

And the cellophane, like I believe was already mentioned, I was going to do it for this one, since resealing a deck of cards isn't all that difficult (outside of a bottle), but given the size constraints of the bottle I was using, I opted not to try this time around. Maybe next time.

It's nice to see people thinking, though. :)

Also note, Jamie D. Grant (creator of the Anything Is Possible bottles), who sells his bottled decks on his website, makes sure his decks are sealed, in the cellophane, and they look to be straight as straight can be (i.e., NO warping at all). Just sayin'. :)

very well done

So, I saw the thread about the deck of Split Spades cards (signed by David Blaine) in a bottle, and was inspired to try my hand at it. I've uploaded a picture of my attempt (all 52 cards, yay), for reference. (note: I realize it isn't the best picture, but I'm using a built-in webcam on my laptop, so it's the best I can do)

What I was wondering is, what are your thoughts on the choice of bottle? I personally like the look of it (it goes well with the 1800's deck look, in my opinion), but I'd just like to hear what others think.

For a future project, I was considering using the Johnnie Walker Black Label styled bottle (a smaller version of the bottle is included in the picture), which is suggested in the printed instructions (in the AoA books--because JWB is so expensive, they actually make a cheaper suggestion as well, which I'll leave you to read about in the books). As well, I was considering using a bigger bottle of the style I already used (also included in the attached picture).

I would also like to hear opinions on the card style choice. The 1800's look superb, to me, especially for this type of project (it reminds me of ships in bottles, and messages in bottles, which makes me think of old style pirates, which makes me think 1800's). But, I realize everyone has their own style preferences, and as such I'm interested to hear what type of cards everyone here would choose.

For a future project, I'm not sure I'd change the card style (maybe the colour), although I'm open to suggestions.

In addition to stating what style of bottle and cards you would use, please also include why. It's nice to see the thinking behind choices you make, and it really gives those choices some substance.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading your replies. :)

Side note: I didn't post this inside of the DB signed SS inside of a bottle thread because I didn't want to hijack it--this deviates a bit from the intended purpose of that thread, and as such, I think warranted its own thread.

nice i did mine in a snapple bottle that is pretty cool you just have to make sure the front of the deck is away from the snapple logo :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results