School Talent Show

Aug 31, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So last night was my high school's talent show. I decided to enter. This was my first stage performance since I mostly do close-up magic. I decided to perform a strait-jacket escape and a small card effect along with it. I had three volunteers come up on stage where I had one pick a card, they shuffled the card back in and put the cards back in the box, where I then tried to slide the box back of stage into the wings. Unfortunately the box hit a small barrier and busted open and cards spilled out. Everyone saw it a joke though. Anyway, I then had the other two people strap me into the jacket. I then escaped from the jacket, where I then produced the card from my mouth.

During the days leading up to the show many people told me that they were going to the show just to see me. Which can make you excited but at the same time very nervous. When I first walked on stage everyone was cheering for me and screaming my name it took about 2 mins before I could even start the act. Then they all were amazed at the end.

Unfortunately I didn't even place in the show. The winners were a singing piano player, a harp player and two girls who did a dance type gymnastics act. But today everyone was telling me that I should have won which made me feel better. I was told that I was the audience favorite. I guess the judges based their decisions on other factors.

Just wanted to share my experience.

congrats man, that takes alot of guts and you pulled trough even through the error. Sure you may have not won, but you've earned a better reputation status and made a leap foreward in your magic career. Good job on that and good luck in the future.

Aug 31, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It really is a tough environment. But being a senior this year I've built up a rep at the school. I'm the only person who performs magic at my school. It was funny because rumors kept being spread that I would be hanging upside down, or in a tank of water or that I was going light myself on fire. I had a great time. Just knowing that many people were there just to see me was one of the best parts.

As they say, its the taking part that counts. It was a shame about the cards, and i think perhaps the judges knew this and that might have gone against you. The problem is, in modern days, people don't appreciate Magic as much as it should be. Like, a singer or something like that will always win a talent contest. I have seen many variety competitions, where as Magicians, we know the skill and work that has gone into the act is more than any other act there, yet they won't win, just the way it goes. Personally, i would rather be the audience favourite than the winner, as it will make them want to see you enter more and prove yourself now, and they will cheer even more for you. Congrats though!

Sep 16, 2007
Congratulations on being the crowd favourite. That's the true goal of a magician, I guess. Getting on stage and doing something with your hobby is what separates you from the average magician you see nowadays. I myself plan to enter a talent show next year, with a dove routine. I think that stage magic is all about things that would interest the audience, which is why the straight jacket is such a great idea!

Keep it up!
-Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results