Didn't really like andthensome.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
First off, let me say Dan and Dave are amazing, and this is a great dvd. But with that said. I wont use hardly anything on this dvd, I doesn't seem practical to me.
There's 2 tricks I will use, and one double lift. But everything else doesn't seem practical, it's just fun to practice.
Please dont hear me wrong when i say this, its still a good dvd. Dan and Dave are still awesome!

Does anyone else have this same feeling?

Oct 11, 2007
I am hoping to get the Trilogy for my b-day, so I don't have andthensome either. But, if you read, I think, it's dave's artist profile. He talks about how he isn't one to make money off of the art form, he just likes to practice to perfection more than anthing else! So maybe that's why the things on andthensome seem that way. Hope this helped!
-emagician

Jan 13, 2008
While it's nice to hear your opinions on the DVD (especially because I am yet to get it, and still up in the air about it), this belongs in the review forum. Thanks again for the opinion, though. :)

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I am hoping to get the Trilogy for my b-day, so I don't have andthensome either. But, if you read, I think, it's dave's artist profile. He talks about how he isn't one to make money off of the art form, he just likes to practice to perfection more than anthing else! So maybe that's why the things on andthensome seem that way. Hope this helped!
-emagician

that makes alot on since now

First off, let me say Dan and Dave are amazing, and this is a great dvd. But with that said. I wont use hardly anything on this dvd, I doesn't seem practical to me.
There's 2 tricks I will use, and one double lift. But everything else doesn't seem practical, it's just fun to practice.
Please dont hear me wrong when i say this, its still a good dvd. Dan and Dave are still awesome!

Does anyone else have this same feeling?

That about sums up all of the Buck twins work. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing card jugglers and their stuff (when they perform it) looks amazing. But I'd be willing to say that about 85 - 90% of the stuff they put out isn't "practical".

I don't perform for magicians. I perform for laymen. I don't need the slickest most impossible syble to amaze and impress laymen.

But that's just my thoughts

Oct 14, 2007
Burbank, CA
All dan and dave material is practical

That about sums up all of the Buck twins work. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing card jugglers and their stuff (when they perform it) looks amazing. But I'd be willing to say that about 85 - 90% of the stuff they put out isn't "practical".

I don't perform for magicians. I perform for laymen. I don't need the slickest most impossible syble to amaze and impress laymen.

But that's just my thoughts

Just wanted to say that I perform advanced flourishes for laymen all the time. I can perform about 75% of Dan and Dave flourishes really well including Pandora and Jackson 5. People are always really amazed/impressed when they see these flourishes as well as the visual tricks I do such as the queens, shapeshifter, and so on. My point is that you don't have to be a magician to appreciate these advanced cardistry moves; since it's all visual people get it right off the bat. I think most of what dan and dave put out is practical if you are one who can perform the material comfortably in a performance environment. I am one who tends to gravitate towards very visual performance styles, so their material fits me. Just because they don't perform as professional magicians for a living doesn't mean their material is not suitable for that purpose. It all depends on you. Every magician is different. Some may find one thing from dan and dave they will use in a professional setting while someone like myself might use 30 + things. I believe anything and everything can be used practically with the right amount of practice. I practice advanced flourishes all the time therefore I use them all the time in performances; I was quite nervous flourishing in public at first but I have made it a part me whether I am performing or not so that it is very natural for me now. I find it grabs people's attention before I even open my mouth. Anyway, I just wanted to make it clear that what I do is not what everyone should do, but that you should choose the material you want to perform and go with that. There is no right or wrong way unless you are not being true to yourself and your path in magic.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
i guess that since everyone is posting their thoughts....

I rarely use Dan and Dave's tricks ( i wont talk about flourishes) because they dont fit my style. Instead of performing visual effects i prefer more "implicit" effects . Take for example MEMENTO (i prefer the psych force) by d+M , "Sow by the lug" "intuitive poker" "thought of card to pocket"and "mental voyage" by Benjamin Earl. With that said, I love visual effects ONLY when i find a suitable patter (the effect "Spread Vanish" from BURn by d+M is a perfect example of this).
If nothing of the above made sense i will say this: I love the visual effects that actually offer the spectator sth to hold on to. For example if I am to vanish a signature from a playing card i usually talk about psychology and that i sort of hypnotized them in order to see the signature on the back of the card when in reality nothing's there etc. And most of D&D's tricks (e.g collectors) are only visual and in my opinion present you as "fast hands"

George

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I totally understand.

For most of the D&D Flash'n'Show type effects, the visuals speal for themselves, and in my opinion - don't coexist with, say, reputable patter.

The tricks speak for themselves.

Gustav

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
I totally understand.

For most of the D&D Flash'n'Show type effects, the visuals speal for themselves, and in my opinion - don't coexist with, say, reputable patter.

Gustav

yep that's how i feel. i just dont feel well performing a trick and saying only " i could find your cards by myself but in this case the aces will do the dirty work for me".

May 8, 2008
England
I think it's about what you take from the Buck twins work. Sure you can perform there tricks, but you need to input something of your own into it, it doesn't have to be done or presented exactly how they do it. I remember doing hedbergs peak for someone and getting a **** reaction. But slow it down and it came across a lot beter, for me.

Also, personally, I feel that rather than performing the Bucks work you can take from it. There's few effects on the trilogy I perform, but a lot of the sleights and ideas I found extremely useful.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I totally understand.

For most of the D&D Flash'n'Show type effects, the visuals speak for themselves, and in my opinion - don't coexist with, say, reputable patter.

Gustav

Exactly.
I bet with some thinking you could find suitable patter for some tricks but its not really needed or necessary since its visual and simple enough.
On some from the the trilogy I tell them I learned something from a vegas loungejack that id like to show them.So they know it isnt my 'magic' but eye candy with cards.Since its eye candy,I show it as such.

Sep 1, 2007
I understand where you're coming from, however, I personally feel differently.

I'm getting to that point in magic where new things are becoming easier for me to perfect. It's at this point that subtle touches of finesse are things that I really like to learn and work on. So for me, Andthensome is perfect. I see myself learning and using nearly everything on the DVD.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
After watching everything on the DVD... the only thing I'm actually going to put time into is Portal. The rest I wont even bother with because it doesn't seem useful to me - it was a very well done Dvd but I guess this one wasn't for me.

imo, Most of the stuff the bucks come up with are more suitable for when someone comes up to YOU and says "Hey, you know any magic?" or something of the like. So, you start with Tivo 2.0, and after that you can go right into Card To Mouth, then have them sign it and then from there an ACR. But I wouldn't do, lets say, a bunch of their tricks in a row. They're just not that personal ya know? Maybe it's just me though.

Sep 1, 2007
These were a few of the highlights for me. Check them out again--you may find more worth to them.

Hover Spring and Autocatch--Be serious. This one is just plain cool.
Blind Bluff--Fooled the crap out of me. Really clever.
Flic--I love cool moves like this.
Manfred Shuffle--I already do the Truffle Shuffle, but this is too cool to pass up.
Orbit--A lot more consistent of a double than you might think.
Jones Change Variation--May seem kind of impractical at first, but really quite a good concept that, when executed well, is incredibly convincing.
Click Change Variation--This is already taught in the Commercial 1-on-1, but it's a great variation that I use on a regular basis.
Simpler Switch--Looks cool, feels cool, good switch.

The point here is that while a lot of these things may seem simple or stupid, they have a lot of potential to work their way into one's magic and to really add a lot in terms of aestheticism. Just think about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results