What's With the "Kewl" Titles?

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Have you noticed that every single effect marketed by Theory11 is a one-worded title, and that one word is usually something that sounds "too cool for school"... like "Riot", Panic, Distortion, Prophet? Come on now, I long for the days where titles were not only much more clever, but also made sense. What the heck does the word "Riot" have to do with a rising card?

Sep 1, 2007
Have you noticed that every single effect marketed by Theory11 is a one-worded title, and that one word is usually something that sounds "too cool for school"... like "Riot", Panic, Distortion, Prophet? Come on now, I long for the days where titles were not only much more clever, but also made sense. What the heck does the word "Riot" have to do with a rising card?

I don't know. In a riot, the people rise up...?

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania

Makes sense to me... :)

I think they must have a reason behind every name they have of each product. If that was worded correctly...:p

I think it also fits their "underground" sort of style with these beasty names :D

Are you more likely to buy a trick called Panic, or, Decksippearing?

-Sanj

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

I thought the title was pretty obvious too.
Why not the cool titles?
Its just something fun to add to the effect.Its a title,no biggie.
But of course some people are going to come on here and say "marketing".
Like its a conspiracy thing to make people buy the effect.
I think just cause its fun to make a cool sounding title.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
I thought the title was pretty obvious too.
Why not the cool titles?
Its just something fun to add to the effect.Its a title,no biggie.
But of course some people are going to come on here and say "marketing".
Like its a conspiracy thing to make people buy the effect.
I think just cause its fun to make a cool sounding title.

right it's their trick, let them have fun with the names. I know if I released a trick, the name would have nothing to do with the effect. but that would just be to throw people off because i have a cruel sense of humor.

J

J:G

i think the titles are awsome! personally i hate the "trasposition" or "red to black"
i hate those type of titles

Riot - Because it causes one.
Panic - Because it throws you into one.
Distortion - Because that's what happens.
Prophet - Because... hell, Who doesn't like money? I'd like it if it was called Lettuce.
Thread - It involves one? lol.
Dangerous - Cause the moves are, and the man is.
Control - Over life and death.
Believe - Cause he wants you to?
Witness - Because you are one.
Trilogy - ... There's three discs?

Alright, I kinda see your point... but I still like them anyway.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I like that they give tricks a name now a days. I mean, they used to call a trick by what the spectator sees, but how many vanishing decks have you seen, how many bill changes and how many rising cards. When the trick has a proper name it is very easily identifiable, and I like that. If I say that I like Prophet better than Extreme Burn you will now exactly what I'm talking about, where as if it would be somewhat more difficult to explain which bill change I like best. It provides instant recognition.

Another reason I like it is because it provides something that only magicians would recognize. Say you're a laymen and you just saw me do panic. You're a very curious laymen so you get online and google 'deck vanish'...nothing worth while...however if you knew the proper name and searched panic you would immediately get results. These names provide protection from the secrets and recognition for magicians. Aside from sounding cool and being good for marketing they are practical, and that's why I like them.

Oct 22, 2008
i think personally they make alot of sense! Panic: i have the trick, and well every time i show people, they PANIC.. so yea just to prove my point.

May 3, 2008
Cooler names catch my attention more. If I were at a magic shop, I would check out a trick called "Witness" as opposed to "The Transforming Joker Locked in a Ziplock Bag".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results