Saturday Night Contest - The Most in a Minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2008
Over the rainbow
Eugene, Viet, DannyT -

Out of around 25+ submissions tonight, more than a handful were, in my eyes, categorically AMAZING. We can select ONE winner. Tonight, our crew was generous enough to pick TWO. Both showed talent and skill. In the case of Dizzi's - his video was pure, raw, unfiltered practice. CringeMagic's video also displayed skill in a creative, funny, different spin. I respect that.

There will always be those that disagree with the winners selected, but in the end, these contests are not about winning free stuff. Sure, tonight we sent out two free copies of andthensome - postage even included on the house. But the point is to have a good time, to encourage creativity, and to bring this community together once a week for a unified event.

Tonight, we accomplished all three of those objectives. That said, I'd encourage not arguing over which video you think should have won, but congratulating everyone that participated. Everyone did an amazing job. And to our two winners tonight - congrats.

Apparently, you associate creativity, skill and humor the wrong way.

Aug 23, 2008
Apparently, you associate creativity, skill and humor the wrong way.

Sore loser, much? Man, your video was good, but that does not give you a right to criticize others and the judges of this contest. Your post there is childish, disrespectful, and unprofessional. They're sending out FREE prizes. They're judging. When YOU'RE sending out free stuff, then you can pick who wins.

For now, let's rejoice in the fact that we had a great time tonight and two awesome videos won.

Frank

Sep 1, 2007
Chuck Norris jokes are now competing for space with emo whinging.

I'm going to ask everyone to remain calm and evacuate the thread in an orderly manner. If you pick up any residual stupidity from the Chuck Norris jokes, I have paramedics standing by with IV drips of Mike Judge's Office Space. For those of you who contract a case of the emo, we are all prepped to administer regular doses of Manowar until the sickness passes.

Meanwhile, vietiscool and similar users who are spreading these pathogens are asked to step aside to the quarantine zone.

Jul 11, 2008
Over the rainbow
Sore loser, much? Man, your video was good, but that does not give you a right to criticize others and the judges of this contest. Your post there is childish, disrespectful, and unprofessional. They're sending out FREE prizes. They're judging. When YOU'RE sending out free stuff, then you can pick who wins.

For now, let's rejoice in the fact that we had a great time tonight and two awesome videos won.

Frank
Yes I guess that is true. And I apologize for that.

I just despise the fact that just because t11 made somebody a winner, they think they're really good and creative now.

But I see where you are coming from.

Jan 18, 2009
Vietiscool, I understand you are upset because you didn't win but your envy and jealousy is so overwhelming that even Chuck Norris is complaining by it. Chill out and while you shouldn't pretend to be happy you didn't win just don't say anything and try again next time.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
but in the end, these contests are not about winning free stuff..
Pretty easy for you to say.

But the point is to have a good time, to encourage creativity, and to bring this community together once a week for a unified event.
I, obviously did not have a good time. I haven't had one in a long time with these bullcrap contests. I've been wanting to say this for a while, so don't take this as a spaz. You might as well give a prize to "25+" other members because most of the other submissions were kickass.
All I'm saying is that there are so many better submissions that are more deserving.

I'm also sick of you people preaching about creativity. Combining two random objects can create some awesome stuff -I'm not going to lie.

But the REAL challenge for creativity is... What can you make out of JUST 52 cards that's original, creative, and stylish that HASN'T been seen before. It's harder to create an object out of cards (and nothing else) and utilize it in a flourish, compared to using an already made object made out of different materials (metal, plastic, rubber, etc.)

Anyone can go on a treadmill and do the werm, but how many of you can make a treadmill out of less than 52 playing cards and use the remainder of it to do a flourish...?

I'm done. Goodbye and goodnight, Johnathan.
-Eugene

Sep 3, 2007
Pretty easy for you to say.

I, obviously did not have a good time. I haven't had one in a long time with these bullcrap contests. I've been wanting to say this for a while, so don't take this as a spaz. You might as well give a prize to "25+" other members because most of the other submissions were kickass.
All I'm saying is that there are so many better submissions that are more deserving.

I'm also sick of you people preaching about creativity. Combining two random objects can create some awesome stuff -I'm not going to lie.

But the REAL challenge for creativity is... What can you make out of JUST 52 cards that's original, creative, and stylish that HASN'T been seen before. It's harder to create an object out of cards (and nothing else) and utilize it in a flourish, compared to using an already made object made out of different materials (metal, plastic, rubber, etc.)

Anyone can go on a treadmill and do the werm, but how many of you can make a treadmill out of less than 52 playing cards and use the remainder of it to do a flourish...?

I'm done. Goodbye and goodnight, Johnathan.
-Eugene

You should of done your l cuts on a treadmill.

Aug 23, 2008
I, obviously did not have a good time. I haven't had one in a long time with these bullcrap contests.

I'm sorry, but this totally cracked me up. Eugene, your post comes across just as petty as vietiscool's. Very disrespectful, very childish, very unprofessional. It's their contest - they will judge it however they want. Personally, I loved both of the videos that won tonight. I thought they were awesome. Did I like some of the other videos? Absolutely. It was hard for me to pick a favorite. I loved them all.

I think you need to take a step back bro and realize that this isn't your contest. You're not a judge. I did have a great time tonight, as I'm sure 99% of everyone else here did. If you didn't (as you said in your post), you aren't required to participate. For everyone else, this rocked. Now I gotta get back to practicing my coin roll!

Frank

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Eugene, Viet, DannyT -

Out of around 25+ submissions tonight, more than a handful were, in my eyes, categorically AMAZING. We can select ONE winner. Tonight, our crew was generous enough to pick TWO. Both showed talent and skill. In the case of Dizzi's - his video was pure, raw, unfiltered practice. CringeMagic's video also displayed skill in a creative, funny, different spin. I respect that.

There will always be those that disagree with the winners selected, but in the end, these contests are not about winning free stuff. Sure, tonight we sent out two free copies of andthensome - postage even included on the house. But the point is to have a good time, to encourage creativity, and to bring this community together once a week for a unified event.

Tonight, we accomplished all three of those objectives. That said, I'd encourage not arguing over which video you think should have won, but congratulating everyone that participated. Everyone did an amazing job. And to our two winners tonight - congrats.

Congrats Dizzi, you deserve it.
At least your video required skill.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
I think you need to take a step back bro and realize that this isn't your contest. You're not a judge.

I believe I am entitled to my own opinion.
My main point was that they preach about creativity to us like this is a sermon. I just want to open the artist's, crew's, whatever you wanna call them's eyes to the other side of creativity, or my view on it.

Sep 1, 2007
I believe I am entitled to my own opinion.

You're also entitled to shoot your mouth off and cry like a child with a skinned knee. Doesn't mean you should.

I don't even like these contests. I find most of them to be banal and pointless, as are most of the submissions. I generally avoid them because I have no desire to lapse into another violent drinking binge that ends with me waking up naked in a stranger's backyard.

My solution is to just not participate and not waste my time sobbing my eyes out.

My main point was that they preach about creativity to us like this is a sermon. I just want to open the artist's, crew's, whatever you wanna call them's eyes to the other side of creativity, or my view on it.

If this is how you go about persuading people, I hope you never try for a job in sales.

Jul 11, 2008
Over the rainbow
I'm sorry, but this totally cracked me up. Eugene, your post comes across just as petty as vietiscool's. Very disrespectful, very childish, very unprofessional. It's their contest - they will judge it however they want. Personally, I loved both of the videos that won tonight. I thought they were awesome. Did I like some of the other videos? Absolutely. It was hard for me to pick a favorite. I loved them all.

I think you need to take a step back bro and realize that this isn't your contest. You're not a judge. I did have a great time tonight, as I'm sure 99% of everyone else here did. If you didn't (as you said in your post), you aren't required to participate. For everyone else, this rocked. Now I gotta get back to practicing my coin roll!

Frank
Of course it's their contest, theory11's contest..the "underground magic and cardistry epicenter" am I wrong?

With a name like that, people like me and Eugene would actually believe that t11 knows a thing or two about those topics, cardistry at least. Boy were we wrong.

These "creativity contest" or whatever they like to call them, are BS. Creativity is a lot more than doing a move horribly then associating it with something completely random. Otherwise people wouldn't be practicing moves.
We would instead, to win these contests, make a video of us doing a charlier cut while taking 2 steps to the left, yes that's creativity for you.

Meh, I'm just going to stop there. I've had enough of t11 and their SNCs.

Oh and sorry about all this whining. Maybe if I were more fortunate to have a treadmill I might win next time.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Guys,

Very disappointed to see some of the hostility posted by a very vocal minority after the results tonight. I found many of the comments disrespectful, unprofessional, and quite frankly - completely uncalled for.

If you didn't win, there's always next week. If you disagreed with the results, it happens. We picked the videos that we liked the most - that stood out to us the most. We picked one funny one. We picked one serious one. If we didn't pick you, there is no need to be upset about it. There will be another contest, there will be another chance. I believe it was Chuck Norris who once said, "the sun will come out tomorrow." Definitely either Chuck Norris, or Annie. I digress.

Right now, though - let's just offer congratulations to our winners and everyone who participated tonight. Great work all around. I'll leave it at that. Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results