The Average Joe Magician - A case study in banality...

Sep 1, 2007
A sentiment I've heard time and again is the idealization of the average Joe. Some people use different terms: Joe Sixpack, regular guy, Tom, Dick, and Harry... The idea is still the same regardless. The idea is a romanticized view of the working stiff, the amiable lug who leads a normal life. This is apparently a good thing to be. I remember when Celebracadabra first was announced, detractors complained that they wanted to see the show be about Average Joe magicians, not B-list celebrities. They argued that this was somehow more fair and realistic. How those arguments were supposed to work baffles me to this day.

Well, folks I'm here to tell you that in our industry, being an Average Joe means you're not going to make it as a pro. Ever. You may as well just register your account at the Magic Cafe, lean over your keyboard until you develop a hunchback, and suck up to every big name you encounter online in the hopes that they'll deign to acknowledge your existence. While you're at it, get used to flipping burgers because you're never going to make enough money to pay rent doing card tricks. Dreaming of that big corporate gig? Consider yourself lucky if any of your gigs ever pay three figures.

Why the scathing attack? So glad you asked.

We are in an industry where those who hold the purse strings have very little in the way of respect for us. As far as they are concerned, magicians are dancing chimps, and they think the same of jugglers, clowns, balloon artists, hypnotists, fortune tellers, and other entertainers. We are disposable, replaceable, and inconsequential. They don't need us, and they know it.

So tell me something. In such a cutthroat business setting, why on earth would you try to make it as a pro touting yourself as a regular guy? Perhaps to compensate for your lack of ambition, I guess.

Some magicians I've met (who shall remain nameless, metaphorically and literally) like to claim that their... plainness... makes them more down-to-earth and "real", whatever that's supposed to mean. They fancy themselves magicians of and for the people. They delude themselves into thinking that being ordinary makes them more relatable, much like American politicians at that. Along that line of thinking, let us not forget that Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt never pretended they weren't patricians. And look at how popular and successful they were.

Simply put, this posturing of being just another generic face in the crowd causes more damage to your career than even Roman Polanski's famous scandal did to his. At least people still talk about Polanski, even though he's a degenerate.

I know a mentalist who lost a show in which he had arranged for this hotel a fantastic deal that would have generated great revenue for a single evening's performance and massive attention from the local press that would have earned the location a lot of prestige. He was offering to provide the stage, sound equipment, and lighting at his own expense and not charge anything. The show would be paid for by ticket sales. How could they lose?

Well, first they insisted on getting a percentage of the ticket revenues. Apparently, charging people for food and booze wasn't good enough. Then they said to themselves, "What do we need this guy for? We hired a local magician once who only charges $150 for an appearance."

The mentalist pulled out when he realized he was dealing with a bunch of incompetent rubes. If he stuck around, they would continue meddling and ultimately ruin the show or just fire him and go with their plan that they managed to get drunk enough to believe would actually work.

With the mentalist gone, they cancelled all plans for a show as soon as they realized they were now out a stage, sound equipment, and lights and would have to pay for all of those. It also occurred to them that the local no-name performer they were going to hire did not have an entire evening's worth of material. With expenses mounting up, they realized that there was no way imaginable for them to not lose money on this venture.

Some of you might think that this is a tale about people learning their lessons and not interfering with us while we're trying to do our jobs. No. It's actually a story about what we can expect in this industry. And why having no name to bank on and being seen as an Average Joe is only going to make things worse. The mentalist was offering them a Vegas headliner on the bill, but they still convinced they knew better how to organize an event.

"But they were going to hire the local guy!" some of you are saying.

Notice though that the show was cancelled. Notice also that they were only going to pay him $150. To entertain for an entire evening. To an audience that could have numbered about 140. Your average restaurant magician makes more than that in a week for only a couple hours of work, and that's not including private parties and shows. And his income from the restaurant is actually stable!

If you don't have a name to bank on, if you don't have a reputation for being you and not just another disposable magician, you will get screwed.

Do you think anybody hires Michael Ammar thinking they want just a magician? By Crom, no! They want Michael Ammar. Same with Banachek, Richard Osterlind, Barrie Richardson... have you noticed that it's easier to name more mentalists like that than magicians? You think there might be a reason for that?

If you want to get by in this industry, you have to be more than just an occupation. You have to be a name that people need. I know I said earlier that our clients don't need us, and that is technically true... But if you have a personality and an act (in that order) that they cannot get anywhere else, then it's not that difficult to convince them otherwise.

In Robert Greene's book "The 48 Laws of Power", Law 11 was to keep people dependent on you. I know I'll receive at least one piece of hate mail telling me how amoral and manipulative that is, but that's not going to change the facts. Don't be a forgettable sap who's just too flaming ordinary to bag the elephants in the industry. Make your name so important, so distinct, that your clients cannot afford to have another event without you.

I'd like to wrap all of this up with a single sentence: Remember that there is a very, very distinct difference between being just another Joe Sixpack... and a true vox populi.

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
You know I was thinking about this topic this week. I had just finished reading a book "Outliers" which talked of this concept to some extent. Which really when you think about it this is the foundation that makes or breaks a magician. If your just like everyone else who is gonna care?

Its got me to thinking about my style of magic and making it more "me" distinct, different. And I'm not in it for money or Status and I don't think any one should be. Now before I go and start spinning the carousel again, I couldn't agree more with you steerpike.

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Steerpike,

A few questions:

It appears that your measure of "success" is financial outcomes? You may not have stated that, but perhaps alluded to it in the concepts of being "a name desired".

However, many talented artists go broke staying close to their beliefs in an art form...like the close up guy that offers an intelligent close up show, that struggles with maintaining a venue and staying away from doing Stigmata or Linking Rings, because it doesn't fit his standards in magic.

Also, I have seen the opposite - guys with a poor quality show, promote themselves so well, they are busy. They made themselves a name - OFTEN booked, rarely rebooked - but always busy.

Also, it appears as if promotion and hype is becoming the main focus of magicians these days. It isn't the guy with the best show, but the best promo kit, that gets work...oddly, the two of these things rarely overlap, as I mentioned.

Perhaps I am the outliar, but I have only been myself in magic - although, I would not say that I am the "average joe", I wouldn't say I was something unique either - just memorable for being good at what I do. I think the product speaks for itself, for the most part - as I hate to dismiss promotional work.

Perhaps I am making assumptions, but with the recommendation of becoming "a name" - what ways can you do that? I see MOST people dismiss you, until they see your talent.

It is like GUILTY until proven INNOCENT - which sucks, as we are always climbing up hill.

The average joe won't last in magic - as there is nothing average about someone that chooses to be good at magic, good enough to be their own business. One of the reasons they used celebrities in Celbra-cadumbra was that they didn't have to teach them to speak in front of crowds - they knew how to do that....average joe's..haha, well, it would have been worse...believe me. Like your Uncle trying to do the 21 card trick.

Therefore: who is this directed towards?

I don't disagree with you Steerpike - as I think what you say has value if you are focused only on money and being famous - more so if you want to do a bigger show, like parlour or stage.

However, where does the human element come in where our audiences can relate? David Williamson talked about the idea of approaching a table - you then show this shi...stuff, that people have NEVER seen the likes of - and their brians blow up - they feel insecure and stupid....and there you stand - MR PERFECT!!! They are expecting you to fly away like Superman.

As he got older, he realized, showing imperfections let them know you were a...here it comes...regular guy...that they could relate to. This is when he became more successful. When he could come down to the people's level....now, Williamson is no "regular joe", but it was his goal to be seen as such. He would always say...don't forget, we are just doing tricks man - we take ourselves too serious.

It's funny - I find, especially since I have been away from this site - we have two groups - people that need to take their magic more seriously...and then people that need to take magic less seriously.

Anyhow - thought provoking read Alex - thanks. Alwyas, look forward to reading your replies.

Sep 1, 2007
It appears that your measure of "success" is financial outcomes? You may not have stated that, but perhaps alluded to it in the concepts of being "a name desired".

I measure financial success by financial outcomes.

Here I'm speaking from a business perspective. If you want to go pro, you have to be thinking about the money.

Part of my motivation here is that most of the artistic community think that art and business are mutually exclusive. They're full of crap, as people often are. The divide between the creative personality and the entrepreneur is entirely fictitious.

However, many talented artists go broke staying close to their beliefs in an art form...like the close up guy that offers an intelligent close up show, that struggles with maintaining a venue and staying away from doing Stigmata or Linking Rings, because it doesn't fit his standards in magic.

Also, I have seen the opposite - guys with a poor quality show, promote themselves so well, they are busy. They made themselves a name - OFTEN booked, rarely rebooked - but always busy.

Both are examples of what I'm talking about. Schmucks who think that they can only be one or the other, but not both.

I think the product speaks for itself

Not really, no. Our culture is so inundated with information that the performer needs to be speaking for himself, otherwise he just becomes another forgettable listing in the phone book.

Perhaps I am making assumptions, but with the recommendation of becoming "a name" - what ways can you do that? I see MOST people dismiss you, until they see your talent.

It's what some would call "becoming the obvious expert."

People hire an expert. You need to establish yourself as (durr!) the expert.

Therefore: who is this directed towards?

I think at this point I've answered that.

as I think what you say has value if you are focused only on money and being famous

The implication being that I can't have wealth and artistic integrity?

However, where does the human element come in where our audiences can relate?

That burden is on the individual performer.

As he got older, he realized, showing imperfections let them know you were a...here it comes...regular guy...that they could relate to. This is when he became more successful. When he could come down to the people's level....now, Williamson is no "regular joe", but it was his goal to be seen as such. He would always say...don't forget, we are just doing tricks man - we take ourselves too serious.

And Batman was a wealthy heir to an industrial fortune who became a vigilante with almost preternatural combat and detective skills. But he's still a beloved character.

Again, I also reference the Roosevelts, Teddy and Franky. Both were wealthy gentlemen from privileged backgrounds, but preached values that ran parallel with the American peoples'.

Mar 29, 2008
Nice reply - thanks Alex. All makes sense - I can see the value.

As for having wealth and artistic integrity...I see few with both...but then again, I see few good magicians...so, this would correlate.

Off to make myself a name. Cheers.

Sep 1, 2007
Interesting read, I suppose. But it does come down to what one actually wants to do with magic. Take Herb Zarrow, who was never a "professional," in the sense that he was an accountant with a passion for card magic. Of course, he is now one of the most well-known names within the magic industry.

I mean, yes, one does need to have something unique to offer if they want to get anywhere in the industry, but then everyone is "unique" these days.

Also, out of morbid curiosity, was this unnamed mentalist you? Just wondering.

And speaking of Batman, remember in Batman Begins where Bruce Wayne's lady friend whines out this stellar line, "Bruce, it's out actions who define who we are..." (I hate Katie Holmes). Well, you need to remember that as magicians, we all have something unique to offer to our audiences that they have never seen before. Hell, look at David Blaine. He got a million bucks for doing a bite-out quarter trick. Go figure (not to say he's not talented, but still).

Sep 1, 2007
Interesting read, I suppose. But it does come down to what one actually wants to do with magic. Take Herb Zarrow, who was never a "professional," in the sense that he was an accountant with a passion for card magic. Of course, he is now one of the most well-known names within the magic industry.

What does that have to do with what I'm talking about?

Also, out of morbid curiosity, was this unnamed mentalist you? Just wondering.

What makes you think I can afford a stage, lights, and sound equipment and can get Vegas headliners to come to Pittsburgh?

Sep 1, 2007
What does that have to do with what I'm talking about?

What makes you think I can afford a stage, lights, and sound equipment and can get Vegas headliners to come to Pittsburgh?

What are you actually talking about, because I thought I had a pretty good idea, but now I am kind of lost.

Also, I know next to nothing about you, which is why I asked.

Sep 1, 2007
What are you actually talking about, because I thought I had a pretty good idea, but now I am kind of lost.

There's a large difference between hobbyists, semi-pros, and full-time professionals. I'm speaking to only one of those groups.

Also, I know next to nothing about you, which is why I asked.

Put it this way: if I had that kind of clout, capital, and resources, do you really think I'd be spending any amount of my time here?

Jan 13, 2008
First off, I'll start by saying I agree wholeheartedly. In order to make it in show business you need to promote yourself, and to make it a lot easier on yourself you need to make a name for yourself (or, as Steerpike seems to be arguing, making a name for yourself is also necessary, and not just a means to make the ends easier).

But, as some seem to think, that's not to say that you can't connect with your audience in your performance. You're trying to make the people hiring you (which could definitely include people from the audience; people hiring you for future gigs) think that you're unique, that it must be YOU that gets hired, not someone else, because you're the only one that can do what you do. But, at the same time, you're free to connect with your audience in a "I'm one of you" type of way.

For example, as a mentalist, you may present your material in a way that suggests you're using body language, etc., to do what you do. Thus, you're human (not using "magic" or "psychic powers", etc.), just like them. However, you wouldn't suggest that the audience can do what you do (without help--I'm not talking about tricks where you assist the audience member into performing a bit of magic herself)...it took years of practice, or you were born with a natural gift to pay attention to these cues, or whatever other excuse you want to use. Thus, you're just like them, but at the same time you're a unique individual. :)

Sep 1, 2007
There's a large difference between hobbyists, semi-pros, and full-time professionals. I'm speaking to only one of those groups.

Put it this way: if I had that kind of clout, capital, and resources, do you really think I'd be spending any amount of my time here?

I don't know. Would you?

Sep 1, 2007
For example, as a mentalist, you may present your material in a way that suggests you're using body language, etc., to do what you do. Thus, you're human (not using "magic" or "psychic powers", etc.), just like them. However, you wouldn't suggest that the audience can do what you do (without help--I'm not talking about tricks where you assist the audience member into performing a bit of magic herself)...it took years of practice, or you were born with a natural gift to pay attention to these cues, or whatever other excuse you want to use. Thus, you're just like them, but at the same time you're a unique individual. :)

There are things you can do other than say you're still a human being.

I don't know. Would you?

Hmmm... Hang out here with a bunch of faceless talking heads... or use my hard-earned fortune to see the world...

Sep 20, 2008
Hey there!

Enlightening post. I am quite intrested in that book. Re-iterating what you wrote would just defile it.

Cheers,

-Sin

Jan 13, 2008
There are things you can do other than say you're still a human being.
From the first part of the post you quoted: "For example,". Nowhere did I say it was the be all, end all way of going about things. Just an example. :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2007
It's disappointing to see that you view this community that way. Chris Kenner would disagree,

Don't be so self-centered. This is how I think of all message boards. But hey, at least this isn't the Magic Cafe.

From the first part of the post you quoted: "For example,". Nowhere did I say it was the be all, end all way of going about things. Just an example. :rolleyes:

Then name some other examples because I'd like to see some critical thinking instead of just the defaults.

Mar 29, 2008
Steerpike - very challenging as of lately (or continually) - I find it off putting, perhaps it is just me, that you started to offer vague concepts in your thoughts, then when people ask for clarity, or try to interpret, you stomp on them verbally. You trash on your majority audience, and then forget to address them in an appropriate level. The writer writing over the heads – talk about casting pearls – perhaps it is time you test your thought to a more refined or experienced audience. See if any of this holds weight with a group with a mean age of more than 15 yrs or a performance mean age of more than 3 yrs (according to polls)? The old Steerpike, at least said what he meant and offered moments of clarity…you stood for the same thing, but communicated it differently. As your friend, I am not trashing you or even challenging you…I might just keep it short and say…dude, you are starting to lose even me. I am not talking just about this post, but you know me…I take time to read the thoughts of the thinkers in this forum…you still have points, you still are rough around the edges, but….

By the way – you are one of the Kings of the Faceless Talking heads – as they look to you as the leader…so, what does that make you, or is that, perhaps, inconsequential?
Keep on challenging – but hope to see you leave room for growth. Fighting fire with fire still – just burns all of us…not that I am so innocent of that myself.
Good topic Alex.

Sep 1, 2007
You know Steer, come to think of it, I don't think you actually know what you're even talking about here. If you do, please clarify because you've managed to make your point pretty convoluted.

Sep 1, 2007
Steerpike - very challenging as of lately (or continually) - I find it off putting, perhaps it is just me, that you started to offer vague concepts in your thoughts, then when people ask for clarity, or try to interpret, you stomp on them verbally. You trash on your majority audience, and then forget to address them in an appropriate level. The writer writing over the heads – talk about casting pearls – perhaps it is time you test your thought to a more refined or experienced audience. See if any of this holds weight with a group with a mean age of more than 15 yrs or a performance mean age of more than 3 yrs (according to polls)? The old Steerpike, at least said what he meant and offered moments of clarity…you stood for the same thing, but communicated it differently. As your friend, I am not trashing you or even challenging you…I might just keep it short and say…dude, you are starting to lose even me. I am not talking just about this post, but you know me…I take time to read the thoughts of the thinkers in this forum…you still have points, you still are rough around the edges, but….

Actually, I looked over this after I got back from dinner. And I gotta say I'm feeling kind of burnt out. It's those same old frustrations aggravated by the counterproductive whining around me that drove me away in the first place. Said whining has been particularly bad the past week, and it's grating my nerves raw. So my snarling and sneering isn't conscionable, but I hope it's at least understandable.

Either way, I need a vacation from the internet. It's giving me too many headaches.

As for the old me versus the new me... I have a reason for the shift in my rhetoric, but it's not something I care to discuss in public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
You know Steer, come to think of it, I don't think you actually know what you're even talking about here. If you do, please clarify because you've managed to make your point pretty convoluted.

What do you want me to say?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results