Appearance On Local TV. Any Suggestions?

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello, I´ll Be Apearing in a local television program for an interview and a performance of close-up magic... I was asked to perform highly visual magic in less than 10 minutes, visual enough for the tv viewers to apreciate it.
Do you have any suggestions? up until now, I was thinking about performing some Flourishes as a visual opener, a little routine that involves the production of a silk, the production of a bottle and use that bottle to do "Factory Sealed" by nick verna.
in the Close Up, I had planned to do Distortion, Life (By Daniel Garcia) and Thread.
please any advice is welcome because Thread is very difficult for me so I was thinking to have a backup, please suggest...

anyone from Mexico; PM me

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
subway by D&D in very visual but takes some time to master..
Belive is visual and quick
indecent..
half vanish by Daniel Madison
and maybe one or two easy gaff cards trick if you own these..
(angels from ultra gaff rocks !)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
With that trick list, that should be way over 10 minutes.
Thread itself could be 10 minutes long with the right presentation.
Don't sell those tricks short.

With that trick list, that should be way over 10 minutes.
Thread itself could be 10 minutes long with the right presentation.
Don't sell those tricks short.

I did a interview for the local college in Dallas Fort Worth called Behind the Art one time and I had 5 min interview and a 5 min performance. So with this amount of time there wasn't much I could do I wasn't gifted with 10 minutes to just perform which Danny's right that should be one trick period maybe two depending on the trick I. So I decided to use loops and do my Ghost Cut and Hover card. I blended the two together as a routine instead of two single tricks. I was actually a bit nervous but not too much but my hands where shaking from drinking coffee that morning which was a bad mistake so don't do it. haha Anyways it was a lesson I learned I'll be honest with you I was quite rushed through the ordeal but I think I did alright it was a new experience for me anyhow here's the video.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=48321631

Now granted not some of my best stuff but it was a real rough morning with the girl in the back pointing at her watch being rushed it was interesting. More of just a learning experience. Please learn from my mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
I agree with the other T11 members, but if it was me an had 10 minutes....i totally use a little psychological mubo jumbo an either perform "Sick" by Sean Fields or "Thread" by Wayne Houchin....something visual an stunning, plus the coin can be signed! Great souveneir!1

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I agree with everyone else. Probably 2 tricks with the correct patter and presentation should be fine otherwise you will be rushed and nervous.

I would do anything that changes, appears or disappears. Definitely what lay audiences like to see.

Extreme Burn, Anything with silks, cups and balls, rope tricks, etc.

Good luck and congrats.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Tamed Spades is a good trick for this kind of "show". But rather hard to do with patter, and harder to master to a song if you haven't been practicing a while.

Travelling Cards (also known as "Invisible Palm").

You could even do Angle Zero (please don't ruin it by having a lame revelation spot).

Those are my suggestions; and I would only do two tricks, at the most. You'll be ruining the effect otherwise.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Maybe Some:

Flourishes-Opener

Loops-Middle Routine

Metal Bending-Closer

Sep 1, 2007
Most of the responses fall into one of three categories.

1. Workable, if not entirely practical.
2. Buy more Theory 11 products.
3. Hackneyed shock jocking (Sick and Thread, mostly).

Doing magic for a camera is much more challenging than doing magic for just an audience. You would do well to ask advice of people who have actually been on TV instead of asking for a general opinion here.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Eh I'd say just do something simple like Bizarre Twist or the ACR. You don't have to do anything do hard. Just some nice simple stuff.

Sep 1, 2007
Do the Clasics....ACR.....Rub-a-dub......Triumph.........Daley last trick...
Dont....DONT do any of the stupid new generation`s trick......like Riot....
Blaine did ACR...and he-s apreciated.....etc.....The specators dont care if you do and old trick...or a new one.....They just wanna see good magic....and SubWay,Riot etc......aren`t.
So...if for Blaine...ACR ,Hot Shot Cut...worked....it will work for you!

If you have True Astonishment.....i suggest "Shuffle lessons,Wayne Houchin"

PS:My english sucks!

Most of the responses fall into one of three categories.

1. Workable, if not entirely practical.
2. Buy more Theory 11 products.
3. Hackneyed shock jocking (Sick and Thread, mostly).

Doing magic for a camera is much more challenging than doing magic for just an audience. You would do well to ask advice of people who have actually been on TV instead of asking for a general opinion here.

WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!!

Performing on TV is different than just an average audience...you have to do something that is visual, isn't in depth, and is practically fail proof. Anything mentalism, toss out. Unless you can really sell it on tv, which is pretty hard, better to leave well enough alone. Loops, a possibility of breaking. Me personally would like something more reliable.

Sponge balls would do well, as would Fiber Optics. Chop cup would also be a winner. I could see something like Hundy 500 or Prophet working well too. Think visual, simple, and classic. Something everyone can appreciate, and nothing that is considered geek magic (i.e. thread). You'll have a diverse audience, from kids to grand parents, races, etc. Best to err on the side of caution with your material.

Also, verify the time allotted for your performance. You may be surprised when they tell you 10 minutes now, but under 5 minutes because they're running over. That's not uncommon from what I've heard, and if they need to cut back on something, the magic might be first. Have your script simple but solid. Cut out any jokes that might be inappropriate too. On live television, things don't always translate too well and it might come out wrong.

Aside from that, have fun and break a leg! Well, not literally...you get the point. ;)

Good Luck!
Steve

WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!!

Performing on TV is different than just an average audience...you have to do something that is visual, isn't in depth, and is practically fail proof. Anything mentalism, toss out. Unless you can really sell it on tv, which is pretty hard, better to leave well enough alone. Loops, a possibility of breaking. Me personally would like something more reliable.

Sponge balls would do well, as would Fiber Optics. Chop cup would also be a winner. I could see something like Hundy 500 or Prophet working well too. Think visual, simple, and classic. Something everyone can appreciate, and nothing that is considered geek magic (i.e. thread). You'll have a diverse audience, from kids to grand parents, races, etc. Best to err on the side of caution with your material.

Also, verify the time allotted for your performance. You may be surprised when they tell you 10 minutes now, but under 5 minutes because they're running over. That's not uncommon from what I've heard, and if they need to cut back on something, the magic might be first. Have your script simple but solid. Cut out any jokes that might be inappropriate too. On live television, things don't always translate too well and it might come out wrong.

Aside from that, have fun and break a leg! Well, not literally...you get the point. ;)

Good Luck!
Steve

I think was pretty much exactly my point. Hey Steve.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You don't really need much besides 2 or 3 quick visual tricks. The Bizarre Twist would work great and so would a short ACR routine as well.

Jan 28, 2009
First of all, congrats on the TV appearance! :)

If you know how to do it, I'd recommend Panic or something of that nature. It looks sexy on camera and would fool anyone watching in the studio and is still mind bending to the TV audience at home.

Basically, if you don't know anyone that has been on TV and can answer the question, then I suggest finding tricks that you first encountered on TV and really fooled you when you were watching at home, and if you know them, do them.

Beyond that, good luck.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Panic is a very good suggestion. Basically something EASY, but visual.

As Steve said, make sure it is foolproofas there is nothing worse than effing up on television :p

Extreme Burn and Panic are quite nice.

Keep in mind that some of these tricks people are listing, may very well have certain clauses attached when you purchase them. I.E. Do not perform on television! They're known as t.v. rights, and best to make sure you have those before you go ahead.

Maybe shoot the creator a friendly email and see where they stand. I normally say it's better to beg for forgiveness as opposed to asking for permission, but not in this case. Here, it would be a nice gesture to get their blessings before you go ahead.

That's why I suggested tricks like the chop cup, sponge balls, or a rope routine perhaps. There, you don't need to ask permission and can use those tricks freely. :)

Best.
Steve

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results