The Clipshift - Chad Nelson

Sep 20, 2008
i sat down, and looked around my desk. There's my practice deck. White World poker tour playing cards. they're not the bee backed ones. just WPT cards. i decided to do a little montage of flourishes with them. After doing a pathetic attempt at the Jackson 5 by Dan and dave buck (dropping half the cards at Sybilism flare) i stopped to think-

Whatever happened to the clipshift?

I recently went to Davenport to meet Dan and Dave buck (successfully met Dan, but not dave :< but myles Nakouzki was there too! i think he knows i exist.) and there was a guy there who showed me his clipshift. it was cool. little few touches there that i cant speak of, but it was pretty cool. He didnt teach me how to do it, just merely showed me it.

I decided to try it. After months of hiding my Surfaced DVD, i decide to learn something that has sparked my interest in sleights when i first saw it.

And i did it. No flashes, no complications. bit of sound here, but it doesnt matter. in a public setting, that doesnt matter.

I then wondered- what happened to the legions of magicians who Wow'ed at the clipshift when it was first seen? cant see them now. Rather odd.

Discuss the Clipshift here, whether you've incorporated that sleight/control/colour change onto your routine or for a specific trick, how you found the sleight to be, how hard was it, how long it took you. etc.

and on a sidenote: please, do not be a Forum Kiss ass and tell me to use the search function. I am aware that previous OLD threads have been made regarding this, but it was probably Pre-Surfaced. I'd like to spark a new discussion over Chad Nelson's Published Sleight.

Cheers,

-Sin07

Jan 2, 2008
Southern Texas
Hey there, I highly believe that the Clipshift is without a doubt, one of the most versitaile moves that i have come along in my time practicing magic. I currentley use it in three of my own routines, but i use is more as a control rather than as a change. Except when i jazz up my ACR. I was first introduced to this move when I saw Dan and Dave perform "The Queens" from thier "Trilogy". I thought it was unbelievably beautiful and i NEEDED to learn it. Unfortunatley i wasn't able to find a source, and my feeble attempts were not good enough for it to look that nice.
Then I ran across an interesting color change in Geni Magazine which ressembled the Clipshift, it wasn't of course, but it got me thinking again. I was able to get a copy of Surfaced and after a little less than a month, I was able to execute it flawlessley. At first I just wanted to go up to someone and go " Hey check out the top Card BOOM!!! Did you see it change??" But nope, I decided i'd get more use out of it if I used it as a slieght and not as a change. that way i was and still am able to get the practice I need for it while working for a actual audience, both professionally and casually. To this day it is still one of my favorite moves.
Oris

Jan 14, 2009
Germany
The clipshift...
Well...
I think it was extremy hard at the beginning, I thought I'll never learn it...
But, I was extremely diificult, I was near to give it up..., I learned it
now it's already soundless, but the movement isn't that fast, that I want it to have^^
Well, I just work on it

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I still use it and love it. Criterion is still a big part of my normal routine. I am always vanishing or color changing with it.

Yes, there was a huge hype with it, BUT the move is still amazing. When someone can do it well, it is unbelievable.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I still practice it, and it still looks like sh*t. I hope I will get it down. I will use it in ACR, as a color change, and as a vanish.
Hard move, but worth the practice.

Sep 20, 2008
Its nice to know that there are people that actually took something out of Chad nelson's DVD. i had some serious doubts with the move, but im happy that i took something out of it in the end. and its nice to know that other people have as well.

my main concerns are angle issues. bah.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
lol, the majority of 'magicians' who wow'd over the Clipshift got Surfaced only to realise they got a hard move to practice - the same ones who don't practice properly and look like statues when they perform - that's where they went.

It's an interesting move, I'll give it that. I mean I've posted my thoughts on the Clipshift before so I won't bother too much, but it is good that a relatively difficult sleight has come into contact with what I'd loosely term "mainstream" magic - our young generation of magicians. For a lot of people it was the first "hard" sleight they ever learned.

Nonetheless, the fact that people still gawk over the Diagonal Palm Shift, and moves like the Classic Pass, after at the very minimum several decades, surely puts a move like the Clipshift into context, after only few months.

Sep 20, 2008
It disgusts me a bit to be honest. I think its an Amazing utility move, but a lot of people seem to have forgotten about it and moved onto the next big thing. I for one was one of those people, but ive recently gained some motivation onto learning the sleight.

Sad.

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
I love it. I can honestly say that everytime I perform its one of the 3 or 4 moves I use constantly. The other two being a double lift, and a variation on the double undercut. I don't use it as a color change too often. I use the control a lot though. I took me about 6 months to get it down. I still practice it everyday, even if its only for a little bit.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
It is an incredible sleight that is beautiful to look at, simple to execute (once proficient) and has many applications.

Any trick that requires a card to vanish...theres the CS.

If anyone performs John Bannon's spec cuts to aces routine, you'll know that the CS comes in very handy at the end and really makes things much cleaner.

I don't like to overdo the move though, throw it in once or twice and the audience are intrigued and mystified, do it too much, it becomes repetitive. We shall all be forever grateful to Chad for creating and releasing this fabulous animal that is...the Clipshift.

Jan 28, 2009
I bought Surfaced recently and agree that the Clip shift is a good move, but its just one move. I mean sure the Classic pass etc is all gravy years after the fact, but you don't see people posting threads extolling its virtues. It's just a utility move that you need to know. The Clip shift is falling into that category. I'm honestly not in love with it as a colour change, but I do think it's an absolutely fantastic move for controlling cards. (The dribble control) and has a million other applications. The 26 shift is fantastic if you can pull it off (I can't) as a one handed pass, and the beauty of it is, that you're just holding a deck of cards in one hand, talking and stuff is happening that the audience is blissfully unaware of.

For me a color change kills it a bit. You basically reveal that you can do that kind of thing whilst seemingly just holding the deck, thus applying heat to the move every time people see the grip. (They aren't idiots.)

The clip shift was the next big thing when it was the next big thing....now it's just a thing, a utility move that most magicians either know, or know about. Thus like the classic pass or any other move of that nature, it'll be something that people talk about, but not something people get hyped about.

But Chad can forever know that he created a move that fundamentally changed card magic and provided a completely revolutionary utility move. That's more than most can say.

I mean lets face it, how many threads do you really see hyping up the classic pass? People still talk about it in threads in passing, (like the clip shift) but really, there's nothing to be excited about any more. People know the move.

Aug 21, 2008
i like this move, it only took me a week to master with complete silence. i use to control every once and a while, a havent used criterion in a while wich is odd cause i used to do it alot, ill definately start again.its great during an acr routine when you need to get the card in position for a dl. and its great for palming cards. i even do a clip shift center steal with it sometimes(wich is very hard!, ive managed to get it very clean with minimal noise.)
and people freak at the color change.
-Danny

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results