Manicure and Hand Care

I have searched on the forums, all I could find was threads about sweaty hands or how to top having cold hands and the like...

Obviously having nice hands and nails are a bonus, because if you are having a camera close up on your hands, or even if you are working with a spectator you do not want grubby hands or horrid nails!

However, I am asking here for manicure and hand care tips, I perform a lot of close-up magic and I have been in a habit of biting my nails, although, I have stopped biting them now.

I have purchased a buffer and it instantly changed my nails, made them nice and smooth and shiny.

What things would you recommend?

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
This may sound painful a little....but soaking your hands in hot water or a temperature you can withstand and repeat it 2 to 3 times, then let your hands air dry for 5 seconds and then use a towel to complete the dryin process. It seems to work for me an i am able to handle my cards better...hope this is useful.

CalvinTan

Elite Member
Make sure your cuticles are taken care of. I bought a buffer and one of those cuticle solutions that keeps them hydrated. The last thing you want is them to bleed all over your cards. It's one of the best things I've ever did for my magic.

-Calvin

Sep 3, 2007
I've heard this topic before. They stated that "how to get manicure" in the first or second issue of street magic magazine. I usually let my mom gives me one when I needed to.

this is the best bet, let someone else do your manicure. With someone else doing it they'll be able to get hands equally done (if that makes sense). If your right handed you might have a little trouble working with your left hand.

If you are doing professional close-up (getting paid) go to a manicure shop hand have them do one if possible. You may feel weird going in there, but the work they do is the best work you'll possibly get (unless they screw up your nails). You owe it to yourself and you owe it to your client to look your best when they are paying you.

for manips especially billiard ball stuff i recommend soakign your hands in coca-cola and letting them dry - to moisten your hands a good friend of mine recommends vagisil but i've never tried it...there is also a spray on the market called goldentouch that you spray on your hands right before going on stage...

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Dan, you're the second person I've heard mention Vagisil to moisten your hands. I've heard it works well but I don't think I can actually muster up the courage to buy a bottle. Do you use corn husker's lotion. I've been using that and it works well.

How long do you guys leave your nails? Sometimes for me, the nail can get in the way of card handling, as it gives me less grip because obviously the nail is slippery and has none! :p

I suppose the shortness of the nail is up to me I guess and what feels right.

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
How long do you guys leave your nails? Sometimes for me, the nail can get in the way of card handling, as it gives me less grip because obviously the nail is slippery and has none! :p

I suppose the shortness of the nail is up to me I guess and what feels right.

yea, whatever feels right to you i have really long nails and i dont know it dosent ever really get in the way for me

Sep 5, 2007
I would say 95% of all nail salons offer a "Mens Manicure". Do that.. it's usually only like 10 dollars and they do the whole, well... I don't know what they do. Lot of soaking, and scraping, and buffering, but your nails come out looking GREAT. Plus most places usually massage your hands and they feel all relaxed and super flexible the rest of the day... great if you have a show later that night.

In between... buy a nail brush. If you bite your nails, put a bitterant on them.

Good luck.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
What is the best way to remove dirt from under the nail? Just one of those pick things on the end of nail clippers?

Yep that can work, I like to have my fingernails as small as posible because that gives a cleaner look, I also wash my hands regularly( 5 times a day) and use moisteur( whathever the name is) to hydrate my hands everyday in the morning, that usually does the trick for me:p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results