New 1-on-1 Release - The Center Deal with Jason England

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Just posted the latest addition to the all new 1-on-1 section - The Center Deal by Jason England. One of the most difficult moves in the field of the card cheat, The Center Deal is finally illustrated like never before in video form.

Although the longest and most complete Center Deal instruction from a modern expert, this video is designed not as a be-all and end-all resource on the move, but a launching point for personal discovery of the technique, history, and operations.

The full video runs 27 minutes covering the mechanics of the move and the nuances that make it undetectable. Further, Jason discusses additional resources and the iconic texts that have shaped his technique over the past 20 years.

Preview Vid + Details :: http://www.theory11.com/1on1

D

Deleted member 2755

As I said on the video page. 10 dollars is a gift for this move. I'm shocked its a release at all. For everyone buying this, don't buy it and then treat it like any other sleight. I don't know the mechanics of the center deal, but I do know its incredibly difficult. This move used to be a highly sought after move. Dai Vernon spent a long time trying to hunt down a man who was rumored to be able to deal center cards. There is an entire book written on his journey to find the man who can deal cards from the center of the deck. (I still gotta get it. I know the general story and its awesome.) Anyway, don't treat this like any other sleight. Treasure this one.

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

So will you guys eventually be releasing some of Mr. Englands videos in a package deal the same you did with Mr. Sperry?

The opportunity is always there. Who knows? Maybe a false dealing promo or something with the Bottom Deal, Second Deal, and Center Deal. Just wait and see if something comes up. Personally, I think the moves are cheap enough.

-Doug

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
OMG don't treat this like some throw away sleight please i know some people will but try not to this is a rare move and extremely hard to get it aswell as jason does.

The opportunity is always there. Who knows? Maybe a false dealing promo or something with the Bottom Deal, Second Deal, and Center Deal. Just wait and see if something comes up. Personally, I think the moves are cheap enough.

-Doug

Nothing about price Doug, just convenience. I'm not looking for a discount by any means. Just:

One Zip File...
One Price...
Three Bad Habbits At A Poker Table That Could Get Your Thumb Broken...

Jason England Is...

A Gamblin Man

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
This move used to be a highly sought after move. Dai Vernon spent a long time trying to hunt down a man who was rumored to be able to deal center cards. There is an entire book written on his journey to find the man who can deal cards from the center of the deck.

The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist by Karl Johnson -- In a strange twist, I just finished reading that book earlier today.

To that end, I was probably as shocked as you. This move was described as taking a minimum of 12-18 months for even the masters to learn well. The exact method is not taught, but the reasons given for this long practice period are made crystal clear.

Do pick up that book if it's the same one you were talking about. A lot of the book is a biography of sorts about both men, and very inspiring at times.

D

Deleted member 2755

The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist by Karl Johnson -- In a strange twist, I just finished reading that book earlier today.

To that end, I was probably as shocked as you. This move was described as taking a minimum of 12-18 months for even the masters to learn well. The exact method is not taught, but the reasons given for this long practice period are made crystal clear.

Do pick up that book if it's the same one you were talking about. A lot of the book is a biography of sorts about both men, and very inspiring at times.

Yup, that was the book I was talking about. :)

-Doug

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Nothing about price Doug, just convenience. I'm not looking for a discount by any means. Just:

One Zip File...
One Price...
Three Bad Habbits At A Poker Table That Could Get Your Thumb Broken...

Jason England Is...

A Gamblin Man

Hahaha i agree. It seems to make sense. But this 1on1 does look amazing although it's nothing i'll pick up. Jason's center deal looks absolutely incredible.

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
As i said in the comments:

The most difficult or card dealing moves. The move that Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller was thought to be impoosible...the climax of Steve Forte's 4 kings routine.

FOR 10 buckss!!! WOW!

Sep 1, 2007
This shall be mine (in about 5 minutes).

But seriously, T11, if you guys do a riffle stacking 1-on-1, I will love you forever and give you my money.

D21400

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
I heard of it but i never saw it.
If yiu compare this with the second and bottom deal, it is just so invisible. By the second and bottom deal you can see easier you are not taking the top card. but with this one...

This a real work of art.

Good job Jason England

D21400

Nov 23, 2008
I really didn't think they would do this. I don;t know if it's a good or bad thing really.

But, whilst where on the subject of knuckle-busting and legendry sleights, if they put the McMillan Switch up there as a 1on1, I'll give T11 my children :D

Jan 5, 2008
im really glad that they are putting out more advanced sleights but i know in three weeks there will be videos and battles of people doing it poorly. If you wanna do it, practice it a sufficient amount first.

Apr 29, 2008
Agreed with everyone above me. But I just have one question. I heard that there is a real and a fake center deal. The one taught in drawing room deceptions is a fake. Atleast that's what I heard. So is this one the real method or the other one?

Guy Hollingworth's Center Deal (as taught in his book, Drawing Room Deceptions and as seen in the History of Magic special) is not a fake center deal.

In Hollingworth's method, the cards really comes from the middle of the deck and not from the top nor the bottom.

BUT the Hollingworth center deal method is far from to Kennedy's Center Deal, the center deal that Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller fell all over about.

It is important to note that: Typically, in card games, the deck is given a straight cut after the cards are shuffled. Thus, even if the cheater retained the bottom stock of the cards he wants, they will be centralized when the deck is cut. Thus the card cheat needs to nullify the cut to bring the needed cards back to the bottom before he can deal them as bottoms.

Kennedy's center deal was designed and developed to eliminate the need to nullify the cut. This is what I think is the purpose behind the development of the center deal. The center deal substitutes for both the cut nullification (usually a Pass) and a bottom deal. One sleight to do the work that is usually accomplished by two.

Hollingworth's method, in the other hand, was not designed with this purpose in mind.

You could use Hollingworth's center deal to demonstrate a center deal in its raw concept, but you can only do it while disregarding real card game procedures. As far as its applications in a real card game or in a more academically accurate, more factual gambling demonstration that would show the real work used by real world gamblers, you cannot use Hollingworth's approach.

Guy Hollingworth's Center Deal (as taught in his book, Drawing Room Deceptions and as seen in the History of Magic special) is not a fake center deal.

In Hollingworth's method, the cards really comes from the middle of the deck and not from the top nor the bottom.

BUT the Hollingworth center deal method is far from to Kennedy's Center Deal, the center deal that Dai Vernon and Charlie Miller fell all over about.

It is important to note that: Typically, in card games, the deck is given a straight cut after the cards are shuffled. Thus, even if the cheater retained the bottom stock of the cards he wants, they will be centralized when the deck is cut. Thus the card cheat needs to nullify the cut to bring the needed cards back to the bottom before he can deal them as bottoms.

Kennedy's center deal was designed and developed to eliminate the need to nullify the cut. This is what I think is the purpose behind the development of the center deal. The center deal substitutes for both the cut nullification (usually a Pass) and a bottom deal. One sleight to do the work that is usually accomplished by two.

Hollingworth's method, in the other hand, was not designed with this purpose in mind.

You could use Hollingworth's center deal to demonstrate a center deal in its raw concept, but you can only do it while disregarding real card game procedures. As far as its applications in a real card game or in a more academically accurate, more factual gambling demonstration that would show the real work used by real world gamblers, you cannot use Hollingworth's approach.

Oh ver helpful. So to the people that have this 1on1 which version is taught? Is it the kennedy's center deal?

Apr 29, 2008
Oh ver helpful. So to the people that have this 1on1 which version is taught? Is it the kennedy's center deal?

Basing on Jason England's previous tutorials and also basing on the thoughts he offered on each of them, I could safely say that Jason England is teaching Kennedy's Deal or a hybrid of it.

And Hollingworth's Center Deal is not his to teach in a tutorial in the first place. :)

Jan 13, 2008
It's Jason England's hybrid of the Allen Kennedy deal and the Jim Cooper deal. :)

(sorry if I misspelled their names)

Edit: I'd also like to add that he doesn't teach the complete mechanics of each of those center deals, but rather the components from them that he uses for his center deal. Also, he fully credits them several times throughout the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results